Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Changing an estab in a scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Changing an estab in a scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/15/2011 1:49:22 AM   
vandorenp

Is the only time an estab can be assigned to a scenario is when creating a new scenario.?

Used an existing scenario to make a new one with the idea a new estab would be used. After editing the OB went to change the estab. Couldn't do it. Scenario maker manual cites setting estab only when starting a new scenario file.

Keydet
Post #: 1
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/15/2011 11:44:24 AM   
Arjuna

Yes. The only way to change an estab for a force is within the ScenMaker and that can only open scenario files not saved game files.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 2
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/16/2011 2:11:42 AM   
vandorenp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
The only way to change an estab for a force is within the ScenMaker and that can only open scenario files.

Of course I am not thinking of saved games. To be more precise I am believing that if I have an existing scenario with an estab already assigned I CAN NOT change the estab. (I have tried clicking on the estab name in the scenario hoping to prompt a way to change the estab like you can the map with no results]

The only chance to assign an estab is when creating a brand new scenario file. Correct?

Keydet

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 3
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/16/2011 4:14:38 AM   
wodin

I would expect you could change the scenarios est of current scenarios if you wanted to...sure I've read people doing it.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 4
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/16/2011 9:23:01 PM   
parmenio

I don't think you can change it using the Scenario Maker program. However, I did experiment with editing a scenario file (a copy of St. Vith tutorial) with a Hex Editor and changing the Estab filename that way. I took a copy of BFTBEstab.coe and renamed it BFTBEstb2.coe - I also copied the images folder and renamed it in the same fashion. It loaded up ok - I didn't test much further than that. Crucially as the .cos is a binary file, I think you should make sure your replacement filename has exactly the same number of characters as the original - otherwise YMMV.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 5
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/16/2011 10:11:31 PM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: vandorenp

Is the only time an estab can be assigned to a scenario is when creating a new scenario.?

Used an existing scenario to make a new one with the idea a new estab would be used. After editing the OB went to change the estab. Couldn't do it. Scenario maker manual cites setting estab only when starting a new scenario file.

You should be able to drag and drop any estab into a force in the SM with a new or existing scenario. The stock scenario may be write protected, in which case you can Save As, or go to properties in explorer and unclick "read only".

simovitch

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 6
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/17/2011 2:12:51 AM   
vandorenp

Richard,
I believe you are referring to picking an estab for a unit like a platoon, company, Bn HQ, etc.
I am referring to setting the estab file for the whole scenario. Like on page 28 of the scenmaker guide, Start from Scratch.

Keydet

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 7
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/17/2011 8:48:47 AM   
Merv0728

You can also change the name by editing with Notepad,Wordpad or whatever.Open the .cos file & scroll to the bottom,there you will see the Estab name.Edit that making sure you use the same number of chars, (9).

Al

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 8
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/17/2011 5:20:43 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merv0728

You can also change the name by editing with Notepad,Wordpad or whatever.Open the .cos file & scroll to the bottom,there you will see the Estab name.Edit that making sure you use the same number of chars, (9).

Al

I'd be wary of using a text editor to edit a binary file. It's possible to inadvertently change it into a Unicode/Ascii/UTF-8 etc etc "text" file which will corrupt it.

(in reply to Merv0728)
Post #: 9
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/17/2011 5:27:57 PM   
Merv0728

Not if you keep your mind on what you're doing.

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 10
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/17/2011 9:59:22 PM   
parmenio

quote:

Not if you keep your mind on what you're doing.

"The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised"

(in reply to Merv0728)
Post #: 11
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/18/2011 1:43:11 AM   
vandorenp

quote:

Edit that making sure you use the same number of chars, (9).

Now i have to rename the file and folder I created already. :( Certainly a lot easier then creating a new scenario.

Keydet

(in reply to Merv0728)
Post #: 12
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/18/2011 2:56:58 AM   
wodin

"The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised"

something I've said myself to many a happy person...

A pessimist is never disappointed.

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/18/2011 2:57:22 AM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 13
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/21/2011 8:51:29 PM   
vandorenp

quote:

ORIGINAL: parmenio

quote:

Al

I'd be wary of using a text editor to edit a binary file. It's possible to inadvertently change it into a Unicode/Ascii/UTF-8 etc etc "text" file which will corrupt it.

Using a copy of the cos file I tried this. Does not seem to have worked. Not sure what being careful means. I found the estab file name twice in the file. Typed over the letters BFTB in both places. Then saved. Tried to open and received error "Can't open scenario file". How can one be even more careful?

Keydet

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 14
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/22/2011 7:15:50 PM   
parmenio

quote:

ORIGINAL: vandorenp

Using a copy of the cos file I tried this. Does not seem to have worked. Not sure what being careful means. I found the estab file name twice in the file. Typed over the letters BFTB in both places. Then saved. Tried to open and received error "Can't open scenario file". How can one be even more careful?

What did you change it to? In other words what is the name of your new Estab file? Is the number of letters in the name 9?

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 15
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/23/2011 2:31:35 AM   
vandorenp

I changed it to KOADEstab. Best I can tell that is 9 characters exactly.

Keydet

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 16
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 2/23/2011 6:51:09 AM   
parmenio

Yep - 9 it is. 

Then I'm guessing it must be down to one of the differences between the two Estabs - maybe referencing an object in BFTB that is not present in KOADE?

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 17
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/25/2011 5:00:42 PM   
vandorenp

What about using http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm ?

Keydet

(in reply to parmenio)
Post #: 18
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/25/2011 5:55:02 PM   
Lieste

I used UtraEdit to rename the Estab within a test scenario - there were IIRC three instances of the Estab name within the file, but I didn't pay any attention to where they were or what they related to...

The Estab in use is definitely the 'new' one so that seems to have worked.

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 19
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/25/2011 6:49:41 PM   
vandorenp

Well I used it. Edited the last estab entry and left the previous untouched. It changed the effective estab in the scenario. But the estab cited on the scenario screen of the scenario maker kept the old name.

Keydet

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 20
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/25/2011 7:45:56 PM   
Lieste

Strikes me as risky leaving the edit half-done without knowing what each entry does - if nothing else it is misleading for someone else trying to troubleshoot an Estab/Scenario mismatch later on.

(in reply to vandorenp)
Post #: 21
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/26/2011 2:28:53 AM   
Arjuna

The reason why we don't allow the change of an estab after a scenario has been created is that we would then need to go through every unit in the scenario and ensure it has a valid estab and if not we would have to replace it with a default estab, then we would have to notify the user of these changes and provide an interface for them to see the list of such units. It's do-able but it would take a fair amount of work. Is it worth it?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 22
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/26/2011 4:51:41 AM   
Lieste

As it stands, nothing stops the user breaking a scenario by just deleting a 'useful' entry from the Estab attached.

It would be a useful tool for troubleshooting Estab/Scn problems, but personally it is a fairly low priority - I only did (once) it to allow duplicating & renaming the linked Estab from within an unexpectedly large and complex test scn, not because I wanted to change the Estab used as such...

More immediately useful would be adding the name of item #2789 etc that has a problem within the Estab editor (or showing an index no. somewhere in the DB) - really worrying when you've got 50-100 changes committed and one of them throws up an error and all you have to go on is that it is a 'Weapon/Vehicle/Ammo/Force'
Doesn't even matter if the name isn't a unique identifier - I'm happier looking at two 88mm guns (say) than having to hunt through the whole list 'somewhere near the middle'.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 23
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/27/2011 9:17:27 PM   
vandorenp

Dave,

When I first started looking into this I found others had already been doing this with a byte editor. Do not know what motivated others but here is mine.

1. For KOAD I wanted to take existing scenario's and keep various aspects of objectives, reinforcement schedules, OB, etc. For instance recreating reinforcement schedules is a real hassle.

2. Needed to add to the estab

3. Thought the bftb estab I had ought to not be used for the additions since it was as of last summer and it seemed improvements to the bftb estab had been made or were in the works. I did not want an accidental confusion with the supplmented estab file.

Seems to me that entries into "the estab" ought to be like social security numbers and can't be deleted or reused. Maybe some sort of estab file central might be good. Work like a virus list updater.

Keydet

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 24
RE: Changing an estab in a scenario - 4/28/2011 3:48:59 AM   
Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lieste
More immediately useful would be adding the name of item #2789 etc that has a problem within the Estab editor (or showing an index no. somewhere in the DB) - really worrying when you've got 50-100 changes committed and one of them throws up an error and all you have to go on is that it is a 'Weapon/Vehicle/Ammo/Force'
Doesn't even matter if the name isn't a unique identifier - I'm happier looking at two 88mm guns (say) than having to hunt through the whole list 'somewhere near the middle'.

Point taken. Keep in mind that this was originally designed as a developer only tool. You can view the xml version in a text editor, like Word, and do a search on the ID number to find the object. I'll see what we can do re adding the name to the error message.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Lieste)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Changing an estab in a scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI