Any good.... and a few questions!

Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem is a highly enhanced new release of Close Combat, using the latest Close Combat engine with many additional improvements. Its design is based on the critically acclaimed Close Combat – A Bridge Too Far, originally developed by Atomic Games, as well as the more recent Close Combat: The Longest Day. This is the most ambitious and most improved of the new Close Combat releases, but along with all the enhancements it retains the same addicting tactical action found in the original titles! Close Combat – Last Stand Arnhem comes with expanded force pools, reserve & static battlegroups, a troop point buying system, ferry and assault crossings, destructible bridges, static forces and much more! Also included in this rebuild are 60+ battles, operations and campaigns including a new enhanced Grand Campaign!
Hostillian

Any good.... and a few questions!

Post by Hostillian »

Hi there,

I know..... Posting an 'is this game any good' on the manufacturers official forums may not give me a balanced view, but what the hell! :)

I am a long time Close Combat fan and have recently decided to get back into it. I was a big CC3 fan.
Naturally I was directed here as I hear Matrix Games have reworked the CC series. The latest one is Last Stand Arnhem, right?

Few questions if you dont mind!
1 - Is it any good? Are there many bugs, crashes? Is the AI painfully retarded?
2 - How expandable is it? Can you add maps, units, campaigns etc?
3 - What nationality units are in game. Is it just British/Germans and possibly USA/Poles/Italians too? Are Russian units available?
4 - Air power - how does it work? Worth seeing?

Thanks for you time guys.. [8D]

H
Tejszd

RE: Any good.... and a few questions!

Post by Tejszd »

Hey Hostillian,

Yes, Last Stand Arnhem is latest.

Comments added below your questions;
1) Is it any good? Are there many bugs, crashes? Is the AI painfully retarded?
- LSA is good, though with the number of changes made to it over CC5/WAR/TLD it has been a bit buggy. On the good news front patches are still coming out and it is getting better each time.
- The AI question is hard to answer. I find it fun to play against but there are those who say all versions of CC have a useless AI. The truth is probably in the middle as the AI can be at either end of the spectrum depending on the battle.

2) How expandable is it? Can you add maps, units, campaigns etc?
- The game is mod maker friendly but is not easy to change within the game. You must edit text files and have graphic skills to make anything more than battles/operations with the current BG's and maps.

3) What nationality units are in game. Is it just British/Germans and possibly USA/Poles/Italians too? Are Russian units available?
- British, Dutch on both sides, US and German

4) Air power - how does it work? Worth seeing?
- The amount of air support is historical with a bit of a random factor. When available you can assign air support to specific BG's and then in battle, if a plane shows, you then target an area to be attacked with smoke.
Hostillian

Post by Hostillian »

Great, thanks for the reply.

Bordic

Post by Bordic »

3) What nationality units are in game. Is it just British/Germans and possibly USA/Poles/Italians too? Are Russian units available?
- British, Dutch on both sides, US and German
...and the Poles of Sosabovsky.
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Thanks Bordic!

No offense to any Poles out there, I didn't miss them on purpose [;)]

Return to “Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem”