Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any good.... and a few questions!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Any good.... and a few questions! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any good.... and a few questions! - 2/13/2011 2:26:08 PM   
Hostillian

Hi there,

I know..... Posting an 'is this game any good' on the manufacturers official forums may not give me a balanced view, but what the hell! :)

I am a long time Close Combat fan and have recently decided to get back into it. I was a big CC3 fan.
Naturally I was directed here as I hear Matrix Games have reworked the CC series. The latest one is Last Stand Arnhem, right?

Few questions if you dont mind!
1 - Is it any good? Are there many bugs, crashes? Is the AI painfully retarded?
2 - How expandable is it? Can you add maps, units, campaigns etc?
3 - What nationality units are in game. Is it just British/Germans and possibly USA/Poles/Italians too? Are Russian units available?
4 - Air power - how does it work? Worth seeing?

Thanks for you time guys..

H
Post #: 1
RE: Any good.... and a few questions! - 2/14/2011 2:09:17 AM   
Tejszd

Hey Hostillian,

Yes, Last Stand Arnhem is latest.

Comments added below your questions;
1) Is it any good? Are there many bugs, crashes? Is the AI painfully retarded?
- LSA is good, though with the number of changes made to it over CC5/WAR/TLD it has been a bit buggy. On the good news front patches are still coming out and it is getting better each time.
- The AI question is hard to answer. I find it fun to play against but there are those who say all versions of CC have a useless AI. The truth is probably in the middle as the AI can be at either end of the spectrum depending on the battle.

2) How expandable is it? Can you add maps, units, campaigns etc?
- The game is mod maker friendly but is not easy to change within the game. You must edit text files and have graphic skills to make anything more than battles/operations with the current BG's and maps.

3) What nationality units are in game. Is it just British/Germans and possibly USA/Poles/Italians too? Are Russian units available?
- British, Dutch on both sides, US and German

4) Air power - how does it work? Worth seeing?
- The amount of air support is historical with a bit of a random factor. When available you can assign air support to specific BG's and then in battle, if a plane shows, you then target an area to be attacked with smoke.

(in reply to Hostillian)
Post #: 2
RE: Any good.... and a few questions! - 2/14/2011 5:08:22 PM   
Hostillian

Great, thanks for the reply.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 3
RE: Any good.... and a few questions! - 2/14/2011 6:55:49 PM   
Bordic

quote:

3) What nationality units are in game. Is it just British/Germans and possibly USA/Poles/Italians too? Are Russian units available?
- British, Dutch on both sides, US and German

...and the Poles of Sosabovsky.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 4
RE: Any good.... and a few questions! - 2/14/2011 11:56:30 PM   
Tejszd

Thanks Bordic!

No offense to any Poles out there, I didn't miss them on purpose 

(in reply to Bordic)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Any good.... and a few questions! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI