Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Kelly's Heroes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Kelly's Heroes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 5:47:33 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Oddbal: Take it easy BigJoe. Some of these people got sensitive feelings!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0F6jgoxPQ0
LMAO!!!

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 31
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 9:28:11 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Dad detests Kelly's Heroes because it doesn't portray the U.S. military of World War II close to accurately. When you consider the cause and the comrades, especially those who gave their lives, with reverence, a ridiculous, inaccurate, distasteful portrayal is about the greatest insult possible.

Kelly's Heroes is a faux World War II setting populated by Vietnam War-era hippies.

It's a comedy. Not a documentary.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 32
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 9:46:03 AM   
Canoerebel

We know it was intended to be a comedy, but it failed miserably.  I know you feel much differently about it, so we fall into the two different camps - those that don't like it/those that do.

Post #: 33
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 5:55:11 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

We know it was intended to be a comedy, but it failed miserably. I know you feel much differently about it, so we fall into the two different camps - those that don't like it/those that do.

Failed??? I know a host of WWII vets who rolled on the floor laughing whenever they saw it including my uncles, cousins & grandparents.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 34
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 5:59:59 PM   
Canoerebel

That's because there are two kinds of folks, those that like it and those that don't.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 35
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 6:03:09 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

That's because there are two kinds of folks, those that like it and those that don't.

I think its silly that your Dad isnt humored by it.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 36
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 9:05:44 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

It's a comedy. Not a documentary.

I'm with ya, man. Love that movie.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

Post #: 37
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 10:12:09 PM   
ilovestrategy

"Hell, he's even got the gravediggers involved!"

"Let's make a deal"
"what kind of a deal?"
"A deal, deal".

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 38
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/15/2011 10:20:50 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

Oddbal: Take it easy BigJoe. Some of these people got sensitive feelings!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0F6jgoxPQ0
LMAO!!!

Classic!

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 39
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/16/2011 12:39:52 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

Yes, Slaakman, I did have a relative who fought in World War II.

OMG, it REALLY is a small world! Are you 100% sure on that? That is absolutely Amazing!
Almost, unbelievable. In fact, even after reading that, I still can't believe it! :P

BTW, your father perhaps can feel better now in in that he isn't alone in his feelings toward some Hollywood movies.  Nope, I mean this seriously. Just ask what the English think about the Patriot or Braveheart movies, etc. :P

In any case, tell your father that as soon as MatrixGames fixes their broken avatar system, I PROMISE I will remove the image of OddBall (Donald Southerland) from my account. I do hope that will make him sleep better at nights now.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

Post #: 40
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/17/2011 6:20:06 PM   
NefariousKoel

This thread needs more "Tiger scare" factor.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 41
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/17/2011 11:25:14 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

quote:

Yes, Slaakman, I did have a relative who fought in World War II.

OMG, it REALLY is a small world! Are you 100% sure on that? That is absolutely Amazing!
Almost, unbelievable. In fact, even after reading that, I still can't believe it! :P

BTW, your father perhaps can feel better now in in that he isn't alone in his feelings toward some Hollywood movies.  Nope, I mean this seriously. Just ask what the English think about the Patriot or Braveheart movies, etc. :P

In any case, tell your father that as soon as MatrixGames fixes their broken avatar system, I PROMISE I will remove the image of OddBall (Donald Southerland) from my account. I do hope that will make him sleep better at nights now.

I hope you don't. I love that avatar!

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 42
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/17/2011 11:32:59 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

This thread needs more "Tiger scare" factor.

You need to be on the front line in Afghanistan.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 43
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 12:04:04 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

I hope you don't. I love that avatar!

Oh, come - come now... I know everyone is just dying to see a Pearl-Harbourish romantic-scene avatar from (that movie which shall not be named)!

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 44
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 2:20:20 AM   
bairdlander

The only two US army OSS units were the 2671st Special Reconnaissance Battalion and the 2677th Office of Strategic Services Regiment (which was formed July 15 1944).Both of these units were never in France,though they were in Italy.

< Message edited by bairdlander -- 2/18/2011 2:36:34 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 45
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 3:56:36 PM   
Nikademus

I think the first sentence describing this movie over at allmovie explains in a nutshell why some WWII veterans dislike the movie;

Like M*A*S*H and Catch-22, both released the same year, this military comedy takes place in an earlier war but is really a thinly disguised treatise on the modern-day insanity and avariciousness then unfolding in Vietnam.

-www.allmovie.com

No war is "fun" or "good", but as many vets attest.....WWII is probably the closest the human race came to a "good war" and many vets are proud of their contributions towards this effort and don't want it thrown into the same mess that was Vietnam. They don't need to be told that war is lousy or bloody or that there are pinhead leaders in army leadership.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 46
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 4:21:58 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

No war is "fun" or "good", but as many vets attest.....WWII is probably the closest the human race came to a "good war" and many vets are proud of their contributions towards this effort and don't want it thrown into the same mess that was Vietnam. They don't need to be told that war is lousy or bloody or that there are pinhead leaders in army leadership.

Most WWII vets from all sides struggled with variations of PTSD all their lives. This would be the primary cause for such disdain for comedic versions of such a catastrophic event such as WWII so I can empathize with their dismay since so many lived their nightmare experience daily but the film was mostly a GI fantasy wish that so many soldiers always dream about; enduring a tragedy & coming out of it as wealthy hero's. Its very unrealistic but it is a fact.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 47
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 5:13:19 PM   
Nikademus

The film was a thinly veiled anti-war protest revolving around the then current Vietnam conflict, only set in a "WWII environment". Like i said, i can see why some WWII vets didn't see the "humor" in it.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 48
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 5:24:44 PM   
Obsolete

My step dad was both a vet, and was certainly not anti-war anything. He did however find Kelly's Heros very humorous.  Though when I was a little wee little lad watching, I had no idea that jokes were even being made in the movie.

Anyhow, like I said, when Matrix Games fixes their Avatar bug, I'm going to burn Mr. OddBall so no patriot needs to be offended.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 49
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 5:32:11 PM   
Nikademus

I liked the movie too. After all....it has Clint in it.

I loved Donald Southerland's character. Keep your avatar. I was just saying i can understand the viewpoint that 'some' WWII vets have about movies like that. I might feel similar had i walked their path.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 50
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 5:41:58 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Anyhow, like I said, when Matrix Games fixes their Avatar bug, I'm going to burn Mr. OddBall so no patriot needs to be offended.

Change your avatar if that's what you want, but please don't change it for this reason!

p.s.- Kellys' Hereos is one of the best movies ever made!

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 51
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 5:43:43 PM   
timtom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

I think the first sentence describing this movie over at allmovie explains in a nutshell why some WWII veterans dislike the movie;

Like M*A*S*H and Catch-22, both released the same year, this military comedy takes place in an earlier war but is really a thinly disguised treatise on the modern-day insanity and avariciousness then unfolding in Vietnam.

-www.allmovie.com

It's worth noting that Catch-22 the novel was published in '61.

Where's the Any key?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 52
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 5:51:45 PM   
Nikademus

i always meant to read that book......

(in reply to timtom)
Post #: 53
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 9:10:42 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Worth a read . . . imo it felt brutally dated when I read it 15+ years ago. Was never sure whether the dialogue/lingo used was from ww2 or from when it was written.

Not directed at anyone in particular but I'm not a ww2 vet, don't know any ww2 vets, don't even know if I consider myself particularly patriotic and I still hated Kelly's Heroes.

Obsolete: Keep the Sutherland avatar. One of my favorite actors. I'll just picture the avatar as Hawkeye w/ a beard. Loved MASH the movie which has the same issue as Kelly's Heroes . . . substituing a rl time period w/ VietNam era dialogue and issues.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 54
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 9:35:25 PM   
ilovestrategy

Well I love Kelley's Heroes so anyone that's offended can take a chill pill and deal with it.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 55
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 9:56:45 PM   
Obsolete

Post #: 56
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/18/2011 10:06:59 PM   
Nikademus

one of my favorite movie quotes i have to admit......

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 57
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/19/2011 4:38:52 AM   
Marauders

Kelly's Heroes was not supposed to be all that realistic.  If it was, Big Joe would have been accidentally shot by his own troops for allowing the German guards to dismount their truck while Big Joe delayed the order to throw grenades into it.

It was a caricature of war.  It was a lot like Start The Revolution Without Me or the Four Musketeers.  It is a comedy classic with too many notable lines to list.

My wife's uncle, a World War II veteran, did not like to talk about the war.  He went into Anzio and lost many friends in Italy.  Generally, he did not like to watch many war movies, but he thought Kelly's Heroes was humorous.

Anyway, ... woof woof.  That's my other dog imitation.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 58
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/20/2011 6:04:45 AM   
Joe 98

"Cut with the culture crap and get to the hotels ! "

-

-

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 59
RE: Kelly's Heroes - 2/20/2011 6:22:10 AM   
ilovestrategy

Clint, Telly, and Donald together. Classic!

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Kelly's Heroes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI