Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Documentary

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Documentary Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Documentary - 2/8/2011 6:32:57 PM   
notenome

Not a replacement for a good book, but probably the best documentary I've found on youtube in regards to the Eastern Front. Doesn't address Kursk or Leningrad in any depth, but some great interviews, in particular with regards to the partisan fighting. Some very disturbing scenes, so viewers beware. The scene of the German soldiers throwing scraps to Soviet prisoners is quite disturbing. You could definetly do worse for 3 hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVo-2jfeoMM
Post #: 1
RE: Documentary - 2/8/2011 6:54:06 PM   
abulbulian

Yes, it's a great series. I have the DVD and have watched it over and over in the past. I love all the classical background music in the series too!

Another great series is Battlefields! Here's a link to Stalingrad (unfortunaely 1/12 was removed due to copyright laws , but 2-12 are still there )

http://www.youtube.com/user/HoustonGD#p/c/1B85696703D57791/1/Vmg_TULIme0

A friend of a friend 'HoustonGD' has has a great repository of WWII content posted to youtube.

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 2/8/2011 6:55:16 PM >

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 2
RE: Documentary - 2/8/2011 10:24:12 PM   
Josh

Thanks for the link, indeed a great series.
Only the comments written there... geesh, maybe they should hire moderators there too.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 3
RE: Documentary - 2/9/2011 3:01:23 AM   
notenome

Due to the highly patriotic and controversial nature of WWII (particularly the Eastern Front) 90% of comments are usually utter rubbish. I think the reason I like this documentary so much is because the makers seem to be captivated by the very same thing I am, the shear bleakness of the situation. People: partisans, civilians, soldiers, generals what have you, caught between two monstrous and inhuman machines. In the most bizzarre and paradoxical way, to me the eastern front is fundamentally about humanity, precisely because it is so inhumane. It is odd that to me the most disturbing scenes are not about death and destruction, which we assume is par for the course for the Eastern front, or even the massacres or murders. Its the banal cruelty, soldiers throwing scraps to a multitude of prisoners, soldiers telling a six year old child begging for food to wait and then giving him a sack of excrement, calling a liberated prisoner a whore and then sending her to prison for six years as a traitor. And those people who survived had to rencounter their humanity and dignity afterwards, which in and of itself is a pretty beautiful thing, when you consider just how much they all suffered.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 4
RE: Documentary - 2/9/2011 7:51:24 AM   
Muzrub

http://isohunt.com/torrents/war+of+the+century?ihs1=11&iho1=d&iht=1

Hi guys- why not just download it with bittorrent...

The series seems to be in the same vain as the "the Nazis"- another great series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nazis:_A_Warning_from_History

< Message edited by Muzrub -- 2/9/2011 9:23:08 AM >

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 5
RE: Documentary - 2/9/2011 8:36:48 AM   
DrewBlack

Hi

Battlefield Series http://youtu.be/5W6i6WmRh1c  The Battle For Russia.

Unfortunatly in the Uk this episode is hardly on the TV anymore and its soooo hard to get it on DVD.

Thanks

Drew

(in reply to notenome)
Post #: 6
RE: Documentary - 2/10/2011 3:03:47 PM   
bjmorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: DrewBlack

Hi

Battlefield Series http://youtu.be/5W6i6WmRh1c  The Battle For Russia.

Unfortunatly in the Uk this episode is hardly on the TV anymore and its soooo hard to get it on DVD.

Thanks

Drew

Amazon has it for 16.99 USD.

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 7
RE: Documentary - 2/10/2011 3:13:54 PM   
Shellshock

I recall seeing a documentary on PBS narrated by Burt Lancaster called The Unknown War. Don't know it it's still available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unknown_War_(documentary)

< Message edited by Shellshock -- 2/10/2011 3:14:37 PM >

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 8
RE: Documentary - 2/10/2011 3:34:31 PM   
DrewBlack

Hi

Only problem is Im in UK and need it PAL not NTSC, but thanks anyway.

Drew

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 9
RE: Documentary - 2/10/2011 6:04:16 PM   
RedBunny

(in response to Shellshock's comment about the series The Unknown War)

That was a great series. They re-aired them 10-15 years ago and I was able to tape them all (I think all - I even stopped taping at the commericals). Unfortunately they aired them out of order, but that's OK.

I've looked for them on DVD now and again and haven't been able to find them.

On an unrelated note I recently got the World At War DVD set. Over the years I'm certain I've watched all of them. This - and the fact that the series is pushing 40 years old - meant that I never seriously buying the set. Anyway, it was a gift and I'm really enjoying them. I'm really liking the interviews - people who were there at the time (often highly placed) who are now long gone. It's fun to watch an interview of someone you've never heard of before and find out more about them (and what happened to them after the interview) via Wikipedia, etc.

< Message edited by RedBunny -- 2/10/2011 6:05:11 PM >

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Documentary Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI