The war is over... We've lost

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Abraxis

The war is over... We've lost

Post by Abraxis »

So, I started in a cluster as the Dolphin men, whilst setting up the game to give me every disadvantage, and the AI every advantage. Once I explored my cluster I found there was only 1 other ocean world in it, and 4 other races.

That's fine though, I moved to a new cluster, found some nice planets around the rim, built a way station for ships traveling back and forth. Things were looking up.

Then I discovered the Boskara. I held my own for a little while, a few minor conflicts before they declared all out war on me, but it was no use. After stealing their territory map I saw they had already infested the entire cluster, they were enormous, out of control. Having started out with the best homeworld quality and at tech level two, I was no match for them.

So this got me wondering. Is it possible to use passenger ships to move an entire world's population? I need to start anew, on the complete opposite corner of the map from this plague, but my homeworld is sitting right in the middle, soon to be conquered.

I could just move to colonize the cluster and leave my homeworld to be conquered, but without it I'm thinking I wouldn't be able to afford a single ship for about a hundred years until the new planets grow.
Is it possible for a race to make an eventual comeback in this situation? Being exiled with no homeworld to a distant cluster of the galaxy? starting anew? Is there any hope for my gentle peace loving space dolphins?!?!
Sabin Stargem

RE: The war is over... We've lost [sm=nono.gif]

Post by Sabin Stargem »

The Liir are destined to be space tuna.

More seriously, I think that your odds of recovery are bad, and even if you got lucky, you will have to wait a long time to be in good shape. The reason is because stronger races would soon colonize the area you settle, get angry over you living nearby, and then take a page out of the Boskara handbook.

However, if there are any Independent Planets that are isolated or Lost, you can take them over and be more stronger initially than if you colonized a world. The Lost Colonies would be the easiest to handle, since you only need to approach with a ship to receive them.
Data

Post by Data »

It would make for an epic attempt, that's for sure....there was sometime ago something similar; since the war weariness would affect only your opponent in this case (you don't have an empire anymore) just fight to stay alive until his empire splits to pieces and then attempt a coomeback
come to think of it, in this case, you could declare war on everybody just to see their empires split to pieces before you try to comeback
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

One more reason to hate the Boskaras. I'd rather trust Pelengs than Boskaras or Dhayuuts!
Hang in there Abraxis. Grab any good planet(s) heck away from Boskaras and try to make a comeback. Try to find other races to ally with; Aggressive races like Boskaras, Dhayuuts etc. can easily be defeated by dragging them into multi-front war where they can't defend everything.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

juast to avoid confusions for new players....no, the Pelengs don't exist in this game; they are part of another one [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Off-topic:
And they are not to be trusted. They'd backstab their own mother if they can get some profit from it.
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

To the original problem:

Abraxis, you could try to acknowledge defeat, submit to the Boskara as subjugated dominion. In older versions of the game this was probably a sure fire way of dealing with superior odds, as the winning party had very little say in whether the other side may subjugate itself or not. I do not know whether this has changed, though.

Also, if you play any of the fishies, you'd be better off diversifying into other races. I do not know which the 'dolphin men' refer to, but all besides the Ackdarians are utterly hopeless because their population growth is far, far sub-par. So get whatever independents you can into your empire, cut taxes on all your low-developed colonies (manual taxation is a must when you play against unfavorable odds), and outgrow your opposition while paying tribute.
Data

Post by Data »

survive by accepting subjugation? this thread taught me so many ways of playing that i didn't imagine...i don't even wanna play to win now, just play for the fun of it and see where that takes me
great ideas sbach2o....i surely hope the same applies in the newest version as well
Abraxis

Post by Abraxis »

I am indeed playing as the Ackdarians, Everything is going very poorly! but there is hope. They wiped through all my colonies in their cluster, took out my waystation in the middle, then moved on my homeworld. Luckily, my best bros, the Boskara? (the paranoid space dogs) declared war on them and met their fleet at my homeworld and pushed them back.

I sold my galaxy maps to everyone to try to coax them into going to war with the menace, and to fund my migration. I've been stealing techs (marsh and continental are under my belt now) with agents and my migrant fleet is slowly making it's way towards the distant cluster I'm hoping is empty, or nearly empty.

Subjugation to these bugs is not acceptable!

Hopefully i hit some nice neutral colonies once I get to this new cluster and we'll see how it goes from there.

It would be nice if transferring populations were possible, I don't see why it isn't.
Data

Post by Data »

it is through migration which you can influence to same degree.....but it's not like in MOO2 where you could shift anyone anytime
i find it that i like it this way also altough it does deprive you of some last chance options
more so in your case....great aar stuff here. It's like a galactica journey that you begin, I'd love to see an AAR made from it
please, don't let go and keep pushing for that cluster [:)]
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

"Evacuate planet" command would indeed be handy in dire circumstances. Just thinking how this would work in practise...
Maybe summon every possible passenger ship to evacuate as much people as possible from the planet.
Kamonrius

RE: The war is over... We've lost

Post by Kamonrius »

ORIGINAL: Abraxis
Is it possible for a race to make an eventual comeback in this situation? Being exiled with no homeworld to a distant cluster of the galaxy? starting anew? Is there any hope for my gentle peace loving space dolphins?!?!

lol You should take a page from the Hiigarans, Got exiled, with pittance, drifted for 400 years and landed on some desert rock, the moment they were able to get out of the system they got their only home they ever knew burned to cinders. the built up and beat their old enemie off their homeworld and became on of the most powerful races in the galaxy.[:D]
Sabin Stargem

RE: The war is over... We've lost

Post by Sabin Stargem »

Be sure to make a mining ship, you will need it for the Beast.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”