Future of the series

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

HectorOfTroy

Future of the series

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Just wondering what are the plans of Code Force in relation to DW.

Morfe expansions? Sequels?

What do you guys think?
Data

RE: Future of the series

Post by Data »

i think for the momment the trend is good enough so that all these options are on the table....but i think patches will be in the near future the spearhead
expansions, and even more so for sequels, take more time
but one way or the other, we'll still have bug fixing and new features
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

From what I know of todays games in general, I would guess that there could be 1-3 more expansions and patches to fix bugs/exploits and tweak some big balance issues.
I hope that next expansion is geared towards diplomacy, espionace and civil sector of the game. Good deal of new diplomacy options would add a whole new dimension to the game.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I personally hope for at least another 2 expansions and plenty more patches in Eliotts style which have in the past made quite significant changes to the game.  I don't want a sequel for a few years, I think it would be pointless as everything that needs to be in a sequel could in fact be put into DW, with the exception of 3D which I am strongly against anyway [:D]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

Right now we are working on updates as well as something else special. We definitely have another expansion planned after this one, beyond that I can't really discuss yet.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Raap

Post by Raap »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I personally hope for at least another 2 expansions and plenty more patches in Eliotts style which have in the past made quite significant changes to the game.  I don't want a sequel for a few years, I think it would be pointless as everything that needs to be in a sequel could in fact be put into DW, with the exception of 3D which I am strongly against anyway [:D]
Well, the good thing about sequels as opposed to expansions is that you don't limit your market to your existing customer base. I agree of course, they shouldn't bother with 3D since that would basically mean rebuilding the game from scratch. But hardware acceleration for improved performance, opening up the game to modders to increase replayability, a few major additions to the feature set, etc. All of this could be done with a sequel, but is probably too much work for just an expansion.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I like sci-fi and fantasy settings in equal measure, tbh I wouldn't mind after DW Eliott trying his hand at a fantasy setting before making a DW sequel.  Something along the lines of Dominions 3, but better [:D] and with the DW style Real-Time, but very slow approach.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Data

Post by Data »

i suspect by the time we finish on this thread Elliot will need to live 500 years and complete 10 different projects with expansions and patches for all of them [:)]
not to say that i don't encourage this, mind you, quite the contrary [:D]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Data

i suspect by the time we finish on this thread Elliot will need to live 500 years and complete 10 different projects with expansions and patches for all of them [:)]
not to say that i don't encourage this, mind you, quite the contrary [:D]

Why only 500 years? Go for 970 and get the record. [:'(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

This game has at least 2 expansion left in it and then DW2 in full 3D,I suspect.
nammafia

Post by nammafia »

Something else special = full blown ground combat ?

Well, one can wish?

I wish to have closer zoom in to the ship/fighter to see the details and following camera to view the combat from the ship/fighter perspective (maybe first person). Something I have always wish for.

On the other hand, I would like to have RPG elements in the game such as leaders, governors, commanders, admirals, pirates with stories, levels and special equipments. This will make the living galaxy even more colorful, dynamics and specials. I will forgo all my other wishes for this element in future full expansions or paid mini expansions. Erik, please "make it so".
nammafia
Abraxis

Post by Abraxis »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

...then DW2 in full 3D,I suspect.

I sure hope not, IMO gameplay > graphics. All those system resources and developer resources dedicated to rendering and creating fancy eye catching 3D ships could be better spent adding even more depth and engaging game concepts.

Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Abraxis
ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

...then DW2 in full 3D,I suspect.

I sure hope not, IMO gameplay > graphics. All those system resources and developer resources dedicated to rendering and creating fancy eye catching 3D ships could be better spent adding even more depth and engaging game concepts.

+1 I love DW as it is, with the simple 2D graphics, the game looks good as is, and plays better.

IMHO, going 3D would only take away from the game, as more resources would have to be dedicated to the render engine, and that would take away from the actual gameplay engine. 3D is not necessary for the game to rock.
Distant Worlds Fan

Marshall Thomas

Post by Marshall Thomas »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Right now we are working on updates as well as something else special. We definitely have another expansion planned after this one, beyond that I can't really discuss yet.

Regards,

- Erik
I wonder if "something else special" is something in addition to another expansion. If it's neither a patch nor an expansion, then what could it be? Certainly has grabbed my curiousity.
0360-1275-8904-8300
Data

Post by Data »

whatever it is, me like it
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Thomas

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Regards,

- Erik
I wonder if "something else special" is something in addition to another expansion. If it's neither a patch nor an expansion, then what could it be? Certainly has grabbed my curiousity.

I wonder if the something special is the increased modability we've been asking for?
Distant Worlds Fan

Raap

Post by Raap »

DLC? Hope not.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Raap

DLC? Hope not.

LOL, Matrix games are all DLC... [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

Webbco

Post by Webbco »

I've got on my soapbox about this one before, but to expand ground combat would be an original(ish) and great way to expand this series. Going 3D probably would require a much bigger team, but if the gameplay elements continue to be as good as they are, DW in 3D would add lots to immersion/role play!
Raap

Post by Raap »

Not so sure about ground combat really. Other games have tried it, but without any real success. Imperium Galactica 2 and Space Empires 5 both tried, but none of them really turned out fun in that department. It always ends up as some poor-quality 'mini-game' which is interesting the first couple of times, but then either gets tedious, or in the case of automation option, doesn't get used.

Personally I think there's still *tons* of things they could add to the actual space game itself, and that's what I would like to see them spend time on. To really try to make the 'ultimate' 4x in space, once and for all. Because this is the only not-dead 4x series which I think has the potential for it. SotS, GalCiv, StarRuler, etc., none of those have the ambition or foundation for it like this game does.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”