Matrix Games Forums

New screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!Space Program Manager will be launching on Steam
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Long Tom Accuracy

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Long Tom Accuracy Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 3:26:58 AM   
PaxMondo

REferring to device 1161 ...

Accuracy on this gun is 25%, about 6x the accuracy of similar weapons. Just curious, yes this is a famous weapon ... but does this seem correct?

As I understand it accuracy is a combination of both to-hit and ROF.

Asking experts here as I am not.

Thanks.

Pax
Post #: 1
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 4:18:32 AM   
Herrbear

It doesn't seem correct to me either. It looks like the range was entered by mistake and it should probably be a 4 for ROF.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 2
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 5:03:31 AM   
oldman45

If memory serves me correctly, the 155 gun was an extremely accurate weapon. Used for counter battery fire at Corp or Division level, I don't remember which.

(in reply to Herrbear)
Post #: 3
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 7:27:08 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

If memory serves me correctly, the 155 gun was an extremely accurate weapon. Used for counter battery fire at Corp or Division level, I don't remember which.

Corps. Division had 155 howitzers and a couple types of 105 howitzers.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 4
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 8:04:34 AM   
d0mbo

So far my experience (and I am only in '42) is that these weapons are definately accurate and they are used by Regiments as well. They eat fast transports and especially slow moving transports for breakfast, lunch and diner. Whether this is or is not accurate I leave to the crowd to be decided. I definately fear them.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 10:12:12 AM   
Smeulders

Editor accuracy probably doesn't equal accuracy in real life. As you say, things like ROF are rolled into it as well and only Grigsby and the devs know what else, so it's rather pointless for us to be discussing it I think.

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 6
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 12:04:41 PM   
m10bob

While the "device" is a single unit, is it possible it was boosted to simulate the very often used "Time On Target" type firing this gun was used for?

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 7
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 12:10:08 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

Editor accuracy probably doesn't equal accuracy in real life. As you say, things like ROF are rolled into it as well and only Grigsby and the devs know what else, so it's rather pointless for us to be discussing it I think.

Exactly why I have brought it up here ....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Herrbear

It doesn't seem correct to me either. It looks like the range was entered by mistake and it should probably be a 4 for ROF.

My concern. It does look like an oops. Accuracy might want to be 6 - 8 ... that would be double what most other guns are in the game ...

And I too have found these to be REALLY deadly. To me beyond what they really were.

Pax

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 8
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 12:56:49 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: d0mbo

So far my experience (and I am only in '42) is that these weapons are definately accurate and they are used by Regiments as well. They eat fast transports and especially slow moving transports for breakfast, lunch and diner. Whether this is or is not accurate I leave to the crowd to be decided. I definately fear them.

The 155mm Gun was the Army's chosen weapon for Coast Defense..., which might have something to do with the numbers. When used in this role, the units had specially designed mobile mountings, radar fire direction, and naval-style fire control. And they were quite effective. Most Army artillery (on both sides) used in this fashion was simply regular artillery which happened to be on the coast..., but the "Long Toms" could actually function as honest-to-God Coast Artillery.

(in reply to d0mbo)
Post #: 9
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 1:11:12 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

The 155mm Gun was the Army's chosen weapon for Coast Defense..., which might have something to do with the numbers. When used in this role, the units had specially designed mobile mountings, radar fire direction, and naval-style fire control.

Now that would explain things ... I wonder if accuracy comes into play for ground combat? Maybe not, and thus allows the devs to use it for CD only.

Interesting.

I've posted a link to this in the ground thread as well. Maybe Andy will comment.

Pax

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 10
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 3:41:30 PM   
Ranger5355

Was the Long Tom an adaptation of a naval gun?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 3:51:45 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

Was the Long Tom an adaptation of a naval gun?

It descended from a heavy gun used in the French Army.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 12
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 4:14:45 PM   
Gilbert

quote:

This gun was the 155mm GPF (Grande Puissance Filloux). More details here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_155mm_GPF

Gilbert

UMI YUKABA
"If I go away to sea, I shall return a corpse awash, if duty calls me to the mountain, a verdant will be my pall, thus for the sake of the Emperor, I will not die peacefully at home...."

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 13
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/27/2011 10:38:18 PM   
Ranger5355

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gilbert

quote:

This gun was the 155mm GPF (Grande Puissance Filloux). More details here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_de_155mm_GPF

Gilbert

Interesting, thanks!

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 14
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 7:26:47 AM   
stuman

Interesting. I love arcane stuff like this

< Message edited by stuman -- 1/28/2011 11:28:25 AM >

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 15
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 7:55:09 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

Interesting. I love acane stuff like this

The spelling came through garbled. Do you mean arcane or inane?

Harry Erwin

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 16
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 10:52:03 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

Gilbert

The gun was deadly accurate at around 2000 yards... the USAA used them on the Siegfried Line where they would park a gun a 2000 yards and pick off concrete bunkers with a single shot. They are also employed in attacking one German city in a similar fashion (??Aachen), and were used with such effectiveness that the German commander protested and demanded that they be made illegal as a weapon of war... the US commanders just laughed at him.

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 17
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 11:28:08 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

Interesting. I love acane stuff like this

The spelling came through garbled. Do you mean arcane or inane?

Ha, well I meant arcane, but inane may apply as well

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 18
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 12:32:23 PM   
USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

Gilbert

The gun was deadly accurate at around 2000 yards... the USAA used them on the Siegfried Line where they would park a gun a 2000 yards and pick off concrete bunkers with a single shot. They are also employed in attacking one German city in a similar fashion (??Aachen), and were used with such effectiveness that the German commander protested and demanded that they be made illegal as a weapon of war... the US commanders just laughed at him.

He cried that using it in that fashion was gamey!

THAT is a good weapon!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 19
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 12:45:35 PM   
wdolson

If you want a really big gun, try this one: http://www.vincelewis.net/dora.html

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 20
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 12:54:31 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

If you want a really big gun, try this one: http://www.vincelewis.net/dora.html

Big yes..., but a touch light on the Mobility Factor...

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 21
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 1:32:30 PM   
bjmorgan

Speaking of accuracy, as a one time Vietnam Era artillery forward observer I posit this question, which was more accurate, the 8" howitzer (towed or SP, no difference) or the 175MM gun?

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 22
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 4:28:05 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Speaking of accuracy, as a one time Vietnam Era artillery forward observer I posit this question, which was more accurate, the 8" howitzer (towed or SP, no difference) or the 175MM gun?

I'll put my money on the 8" Howitzer.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 23
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 4:40:46 PM   
herwin

quote:

At what range?

AIR the 8" howitzer at comparable ranges.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 24
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 5:24:13 PM   
JWE

quote:

Aw, c'mon dude, it's all CEP for a tube, and I know they taught that stuff to FOs. All depends on the tube design, the charge increment and how good the Met pukes were at HQ Bty. M113 could really reach out and touch someone The M115 just wasn't in it. Just take a peek at the CEP tables at base charge. Not that accuracy means anything, when a smaller CEP and smaller boom is equated to a bigger CEP and bigger boom. Just reach back and remember the stuff they taught you at Ft Sill, or if you didn't get to Sill, what the Yankee fools at Devins were trying to teach (if they could ever find their butts with their left hands).

M113, hands down.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 25
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/28/2011 7:01:25 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

Aw, c'mon dude, it's all CEP for a tube, and I know they taught that stuff to FOs. All depends on the tube design, the charge increment and how good the Met pukes were at HQ Bty. M113 could really reach out and touch someone The M115 just wasn't in it. Just take a peek at the CEP tables at base charge. Not that accuracy means anything, when a smaller CEP and smaller boom is equated to a bigger CEP and bigger boom. Just reach back and remember the stuff they taught you at Ft Sill, or if you didn't get to Sill, what the Yankee fools at Devins were trying to teach (if they could ever find their butts with their left hands).

M113, hands down.

Weren't the M107 and M110 about the same?

Harry Erwin

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 26
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/29/2011 1:36:29 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

quote:

Gilbert

Ask my opponent DivePac88 about these guns in the PI

(in reply to Gilbert)
Post #: 27
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/29/2011 1:39:44 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

I have read that when the war in Italy slowed down to a snail like pace that the Allies used the 8" gun as a 'sniper' piece being able to pick off single buildings and strong points in just a handful of shots.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 28
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/31/2011 3:48:00 AM   
Blackhorse

There are a slew of US 155mm-equipped units in AE, but only a few should be using the Long Toms.

Most Army and Marine Divisions and separate artillery battalions have (or eventually get) the (device 1160) M1 Howitzer. Late war reinforcements from the ETO bring the (1167) M12 GMC, the self-propelled version of the M1 Howitzer. These 155's have an accuracy of '4'.

The US Army Coastal Artillery bns/rgts and the Marine defense battalions have (or upgrade to) the M1918 GPF and its modernized succesor, the M1A1 GPF. These are 155mm guns, not howitzers, on the rotating "Panama Mounts" that Mike Scholl mentioned that makes them effective versus ships. Their accuracy is 50 and 53 respectively.

IIRC, the only Long Tom-equipped (device 1161) units in the game should be about half of the dozen or so independent Marine artillery battalions. (The other half have 155mm howitzers). They each have only 12 tubes. These are the same M1A1 guns that the coastal defense battalions have, but we assume that the battalions are not as rigorously trained in engaging ships as are the defense battalions, and/or that not all of the guns have Panama Mounts and the associated tracking equipment, so the accuracy has been reduced to '25'. The primary role of the Long Tom battalions was to serve as Corps-artillery equivalent support for Marine grunts. But they were expected to be able to engage ships, as well.

Is your concern solely with the effect the Long Tom units are having during land combat, or is it bombardment effect of the other 155mm gun LCUs (like the Coastal Artillery regiments)?

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 29
RE: Long Tom Accuracy - 1/31/2011 4:26:28 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

...Is your concern solely with the effect the Long Tom units are having during land combat, or is it bombardment effect of the other 155mm gun LCUs (like the Coastal Artillery regiments)?

Initially I was on the receiving end of Long Tom barrage, went into the db to see how/why I got my butt kicked.

Noted the range and accuracy of the device were the same (25), and that the accuracy was substantually higher than similar pieces. Wasn't sure if this was WAD or a typo.

Thanks for stepping in and clarifying.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 1/31/2011 4:27:32 AM >

Pax

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Long Tom Accuracy Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI