Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Couple questions about he Air War....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Couple questions about he Air War.... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Couple questions about he Air War.... - 1/26/2011 3:07:05 PM   
GBS

When flying an air drop, where does the Fuel/supply come from? Is it from the Air Base or from the ABs higher HQ?

Some times Air Drops will not activate even when easily in range, little or no travel %, and low % ready to fly setting. There is no message pop up just nothing happens.Is it because there is no fuel or supply left to deliver? Seems like there has to be a finite amount of this.

About Air attack a unit. I attacked Soviet Tank Brig. and Tank Div stacked together with 86 Stukas. The tank units were defended by 18 Ftrs. They lost 21 men and no AFVs along with one fighter. I lost three Stukas. It seems with such a target rich environment I would see some AFV destruction. Could there be more damage done than the combat result is showing?

When attacking a unit with fortification, is there some reduction of the forts? With the heavy forts around Leningrad and Moscow, wouldn't a good dose of Level Bombing loosen them up some?

Could not find answers in the manual. Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Couple questions about he Air War.... - 1/26/2011 3:14:51 PM   
CarnageINC

Keep in mind the air side of things are still under review and being worked on.  The Stuka thing gets me to sometimes, I don't like it but I have faith in the developers will do the right thing with the air side of it and fix what needs to be fixed.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: Couple questions about he Air War.... - 1/26/2011 3:25:25 PM   
Paul McNeely

With bombing runs, there is a display bug.  Until you destroy a unit then all damaged units do not show up in the losses displayed in the screen at the end of the mission.  So you probably did a lot better then you thought.  Also depending on the weather, hex terrain and the entrenchment level you have a decreased chance to hit.  But in general you have 4 possible results for each bomb: miss, disrupt, damage, and destroy.  Damage will cause half men losses, and for tanks it seems to increment the destroyed AFV counter by 1 for every 2 damaged tanks.

Fortifications are not reduced by air bombardment, only assault will drop it and only if you have sufficient engineering assets in the attack.

If the planes had caught them moving the losses would have been much higher.  I have had units pounded into scrap metal from interdiction hits or pre-attack bombardment.  89 stuka's would produce a tank brigade with 0 CV easily.

In the game versions pre the latest beta patch you only attacked one of those two units.  So it doesn't matter the other unit is in the hex, only one unit gets hit anyway.  I'm glad this has been changed.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 3
RE: Couple questions about he Air War.... - 1/26/2011 3:33:22 PM   
GBS

Thanks. It always seemed to me like the Air War part of the game wasn't quite as mature as the rest. I'm glad to hear that it is being worked on and look forward to what they come up with.

Are there any ideas about my question above concerning the Air Drop of fuel and supply. Thanks

< Message edited by GBS -- 1/26/2011 3:38:00 PM >

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 4
RE: Couple questions about he Air War.... - 1/26/2011 4:09:47 PM   
barkorn45

air attacks won't reduce fortifications?so historically ju-87's were ineffective against russian pillboxes and dug in positions?
does'nt correlate with my readings.

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 5
RE: Couple questions about he Air War.... - 1/26/2011 5:16:30 PM   
Paul McNeely

I am not a member of the game's development group, I was merely stating the rules do not allow this to happen. I have no intention to debate the historical effectiveness of air power. I would like to respectutfully suggest that there is a simple reason that a rule change allowing fortification levels to be degraded by air power would be bad for the German player: the Red Air Force.

I currently have about as many IL-2 tac bombers as the Luftwaffe has planes. Every existing plane I own can be used as a fighter bomber (except 200 P40-B fighters), I build over 200 fighter bombers and 200 IL-2s per week. Whatever benifit might be gained by the German player the soviet player will gain at least 10x as much from. Producing strikes of 900 tactical and fighter bombers would not be that difficult to do. I have more than enough ShAPs and ShADs to have 900 IL-2s right now in may 1942. That is only 45 ShAP, it is turn 47 and I have been building 2 ShAP Rgts per week...so I have over 90 of them...1800 IL-2s in ShAPs and around 2000 in the pool.

I think the suggestion of making fortification degradable by air power qualifies as a bad idea. I believe it is a sensible choice by the game's development team to not allow fortification levels to be degraded by air power.

(in reply to barkorn45)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Couple questions about he Air War.... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI