Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 1/24/2011 10:14:55 PM   
sath

I wanted to do anther try on this. I'd like to get a couple ARR's in vs the AI prior to starting a player vs player game.

I spent great deal more time this time reading the rules and the forums and running test to make certain how things work.

I've almost finished the first turn. I've been working on it since Thursday evening. I've payed special attention to supply and comman and control this time. for everything I crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's so to speak.

I used my admin points differently this time. I changed out 2 leaders and changed some divisions over to other corps.

As corps moved and attacked I kept them together close to there corps HQ's. I used slightly different on combat tactics as I can see that even temporay isolation of a unit will cause it to route. The Panzer corps cleared paths for the infantry to march through during the 2nd turn. I did recon everything prior to attacking it. I set certain unit to refit that were low on TOE. I kept what units I could close to rail heads. I intentionally garrisoned every city that I captured. I want to minimized future potential damage to my rail lines as much as possible. I'm all ready thinking in advance about what to do winter. I did create some pockets but not close to the scale that I've seen in other AAR's. In some cases these pockets are smaller due to the fact that I wanted to create lanes for my Panzers and future lanes for my infantry. I did put a Panzer division next to the Rumanian border. I did air resupply and move my air bases keeping them close to rail heads and there HQ's as well. The path of the advance is also intentional in some cases as this is also the path that my rail repair units will travel.

Hopefully I'll have some screen shots soon. :)

Sath
Post #: 1
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 1/25/2011 1:39:54 PM   
redmarkus4

Sounds like you are doing a lot of things right, based on my limited experience. Just a couple of comments:

1. Some players regard the move of a panzer division to the Rumanian border as gamey and historically impossible, so you need to watch out for that when you play a human. It will set the tone for how he plays going forward.

2. I normally create the breach with my infantry and let the panzers pass through to exploit, not the other way around. This is probably why you couldn't create larger pockets; your panzers had used some of their MP attacking and moving through ZOC.

3. Be careful of how far you push your panzers ahead of the infantry. The AI might cut them off. A human definitely will!

Good luck.

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.

(in reply to sath)
Post #: 2
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 1/25/2011 3:26:42 PM   
2ndACR

I see nothing gamey about moving a Panzer unit to activate the Romanians. I have not even heard anyone say it is gamey. There is a risk involved, especially against a human. So that counter balances it.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 3
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 1/25/2011 3:37:58 PM   
sath

Actually creating the lanes for the infantry is very important and I definitely say I should have pushed for Riga with Panzers on turn 1. To open a bigger lane for the 18th army in this area.

As far as the Rumanian border thing is concerned against a human player I would have pushed all moveable elements of the 1st Panzers in that direction as opposed to 1 corps toward Rovno and 1 Corps toward tarnopol.

From the Axis point of view the Rumanian border thing is a must. They need all the help they can get. I couldn't see my self as the Russian player not allowing this. From a strategic point of view the axis are at huge disadvantage. I can see doing a thing like no strat bombing for either side until it is fixed.

Yeah and my infantry did all the initial work of the break through.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 4
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 1/25/2011 4:59:55 PM   
redmarkus4

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I see nothing gamey about moving a Panzer unit to activate the Romanians. I have not even heard anyone say it is gamey. There is a risk involved, especially against a human. So that counter balances it.

Well, one of my opponents did it and then said it felt very unrealistic and gamey to him. You'd have a hard time driving a real 1941 panzer division that far in a week without major wear and tear (look at the impact of the Greek campaign on German armour) even without resistance.

And the idea that panzers arriving from the north would somehow allow all of the Axis forces in Romania to move their timeline for their offensive forward by a whole week, at the last minute and with no penalties, is simply crazy. Maybe the divisions close to where it arrives would 'activate' (what is that supposed to mean, anyway?) but not the rest.

This trick goes against all military logic, in my simple opinion, but I admit I am a very old soldier...

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 5
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 1/25/2011 7:28:45 PM   
sath

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

I agree with what 2ndACR is saying here. This is the first time I heard anyone complain about the move. I would have to think that the game designers have taken this into account allowing this so called option. I have read a great deal of WW2 and the eastern front and played many East front games and many of them handle's things a bit differently. As far as the actual situation conerning the Rumanian's and 11th Army at the very start of the war I can only get limited information. I'm not even certain what day they declared war or what day their ground elements began move forward. I certain that the game designers and testers have had plenty of opportunity to ponder this over by now.

Sath

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 2/1/2011 12:54:36 AM   
sath

Was going to post some screenshots for AGN/AGS sections. The lanes for the infantry are very big. Hopefully I clear away enough Russian's that they won't slow me down for turn 2 infantry movement. Both PZ corps and all division except for the 2 infantry division are across the Daugava River. The SS Mot could only get where he is atm. I need him close the small pocket. The lanes for the 18th and 16th armies should be obvious.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sath -- 2/1/2011 1:06:41 AM >

(in reply to sath)
Post #: 7
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 2/1/2011 12:59:27 AM   
sath

AGC south turn1. The pocket is very small compared to what I've seen in other AAR's. 2 infantry divisions from the 24th panzers are now part of the 6th army. The Cav division through the swamps. The rest of 2nd Panzers toward the east as far as possible. The GD mot reg finishes sealing the pocket. I actually found a small use for him. The lane for the 4th army and other infantry is very wide and deep.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sath -- 2/1/2011 1:11:16 AM >

(in reply to sath)
Post #: 8
RE: High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI - 2/1/2011 1:02:36 AM   
sath

The North Central portion of AGC. The 3rd Panzer is as far east as possible. Minsk is taken with the Model kill stack. A big lane for the 9th army and 3rd Panzer infantry is formed. 2 divisions from the one overloaded 9th army corps are assigned to the 16th army. I eliminated all corps level overloads and will finish up all army level overloads later only namely the 2 Mot brigades will be transfered to Panzer corps once they become active. I know some might suggest that I should have pocketed more Russians but I strongly believe that on turn one you have to make the most of the movement bonus for the Germans. The small pockets are going nowhere and will die on turn 2. I rolling the dice somewhat they the routers will stay routed or even if they rally then they won't have much fight in them. I didn't get very far on this try. I'm just waiting on the new beta patch this week.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sath -- 2/1/2011 1:25:44 AM >

(in reply to sath)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> High Hopes new ARR Axis vs normal Russian AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI