AGC: Turn 1 Moves

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Q-Ball

AGC: Turn 1 Moves

Post by Q-Ball »

Starting a thread similar to AGS Turn 1, this time for AGC. I don't have tons of time for this today, but here is an opening shot.

My scenarios assume we are borrowing from Pz Gp 2 to improve AGSs opening turn. I don't think you lose a ton here, because you only need Infantry to blast the border defenses.

Will do a Panzer Turn after doing the top-end of Pz Gp 3, because they are related, but this should allow the Panzers to move very far.

Other suggestions?

Attachments
120BroadwayLobby.jpg
120BroadwayLobby.jpg (183.4 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Flaviusx

RE: AGC: Turn 1 Moves

Post by Flaviusx »

Q-ball, is it really necessary to grab all of panzer group 2? My sense is you can pull off a pretty good Lvov pocket with just a single panzer corps.

Sending the whole group south is perhaps too much and will merely result in a wall of Soviets on the Dnper, Dvina, and Smolensk lanbridge area. I don't see how you can bounce this line with just Hoth.

WitE Alpha Tester
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Here is first shot at AGC-North. This is also Pre-Panzer.

Attachments
120BroadwayLobby.jpg
120BroadwayLobby.jpg (192.53 KiB) Viewed 498 times
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

I think he just borrows a Corp from there. Same as me, I grab the rear Panzer Corp and send them south. I forget the name, but has the GD Regiment.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

XXXXVI PzC, Vietinghoff.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

You can clear it but you have to use a Corp from AGN. The one that is straight across from it they can go down the rail (the 3 Div stack) and have 8 movement left when they get there. That frees up the ZOC for your AGC armor.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Ok, cool.
WitE Alpha Tester
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Here it is with the Panzers; I will quickly run AGN to see how many units we can pocket in Lithuania, but it will be worth it if we can add 12 more divisions or so.

Attachments
120BroadwayLobby.jpg
120BroadwayLobby.jpg (216.27 KiB) Viewed 502 times
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

In my game with notenome, I committed a minimal amount of units to the AGC area and still created more or less the same pocket others tend to create with all forces in the area. The main problem is advancing on turn 2 and 3. I used one regular Panzer corps and one "Panzer corps" consisting of a motorized division, GD and 1st Cavalry.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

That's an interesting diversion of 3rd panzer.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Here it is with AGN. I think if you plan it right, you can bag alot more units Turn 1, especially in Lithuania.

Attachments
120BroadwayLobby.jpg
120BroadwayLobby.jpg (180.62 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I like it. Taking those small ports on the Baltic is a smart move.

WitE Alpha Tester
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

If I did this over, I don't think you need to send 3rd Panzer to the Daugava; you are probably better off sending it straight East.

Only one Unit transiting south of the Kaunus pocket, and driving to the Daugava (from Pz Gp4), should be enough to isolate those units. Its a slightly longer drive than to the North, but in the scheme of things shouldn't matter much, and is probably worth a few MPs to bag another Mech Corps.

I looked from the Soviet side, they can't do anything with this, other than fall-back. 20 Divisions in Baltic Front are isolated, and will be destroyed.

I would like to get a "head count" of isolated divisions on this map, and isolating a large "Lvov" and small "Kovel" pocket, but a rough guess it has to be close to 70 Divisions, and over 750K guys. That's a solid start.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Why did you not clear Kaunus? I always clear it turn 1 to ease that ZOC but leave the armor div south of there. Yes, very important to clear those western ports is very important. I see too many people not do that.

Guess I will have to do one too. LOL
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

I dunno, I kinda like the idea of leaving the stuff in Kaunas alone deep in the rear, instead of chasing the units around. And possibly routing them to safety.

WitE Alpha Tester
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Okay, I was curious. It is a weak Mech div anyway. 
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

You don't need to clear Kaunus, it's not in the way of any Panzer moves.

I think you do, though, need to move that Tank Unit south of Kaunus. It took me two 2-division Infantry attacks to Rout it, so bring some guys.

The other chokepoint to be aware of is the Rifle Division in the Swamp along 18th Army's front. You need to hit that with 2 Divisions to get it out of the swamp. After that, it will die easy.

In general though the units are much less tough than Southwest Front, so most will rout on a hasty attack.

BTW, the other thing I would do differently is to leave a unit in that big empty space between the Infantry and Panzer spearheads just north of Pripet Marshes. I can within one hex from the Soviet side of re-opening the Bialystok pocket, which would be a disaster. Even so, you probably want to keep that pocket coralled a bit, to make clean-up easier.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Correct. Just my way. I leave the armor unit because it is fairly strong and take Kaunus to free up the ZOC. I would have the mech unit rout and escape than that tank unit. But if you move the armor unit, then you can leave Kaunus. I see what you did etc, just saying what I do.

Yep, learned about the infantry unit the hard way way back. Now it gets hit hard. No chances.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

I always capture Kaunas and clear the area. You need to get an FBD unit to Vilnius by the end of turn 2, or you're lagging behind. If you leave Kaunas in enemy hands, it's doubtful whether that can be achieved.

I see no reason to move a Panzer corps north-east of Vilnius and south of the Daugava, nothing there but woods and swamps. You need to get units of both Panzer corps across the Daugava on turn 1 if you want to get to the Pskov area by turn 2. In a game with one of the testers, I'm slowing down the AGN advance significantly as the tester didn't cross the Daugava on turn 1. It's extremely easy for the Soviets to rail reinforcements into the area with the rail line running right next to it if the Axis don't make it across in strength.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

I like it. Taking those small ports on the Baltic is a smart move.

It's especially helpful to sea lift the infantry unit that comes in shortly up there.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Return to “The War Room”