From: The Big Nowhere
Like the idea of needing overwhelming odds to successfully invade a planet. It should be a lot harder to take over planet - it's a whole planet! Look how much trouble troops have currently with pacifying a single city.
Would also like to see the ability to recruit different types of specialized troops - marines for invasion (but useless for defence), garrison troops (good on defence, but can't go off planet), regular troops that are useful for both (but not as effective in as the specialized in either capacity). And militia as well, which are generated automatically based on planet population and the player doesn't control them at all.
Perhaps even ship marines specialized in boarding other enemy ships - that would be a great feature but probably too complicated to add in easily.
Also agree the AI should agressively target troops transports as posing the greatest threat to their planets.
I like this idea, to further refine it:
1. Marines: Specialized landing forces. Increased attack power, lower defensive power. Must be researched.
2. Army: Standard troops, decent attack and defense, but excel at neither. Base tech level troops.
2. Garrison: Strong Defense, weak attack, cannot be moved from the planet. Bae tech level.
3. Militia: appear only when the colony is attacked...automatically generated at full strength, but strength is low compared to other troops. However they cost no maintainence...these are the unruly mobs of torch and pitchfork wielding citizens defending their homes. Either base level tech or level 1-2 tech (similar to the Robotic troops).
Stat Comparison (if I were going to add them, I'd use this scale...based off the DW 50 to 150 scale):
- Marine: Attack 150, Defense 100, Cost 1000, loadable.
- Army: Attack 100, Defense 100, Cost 750, loadable.
- Garrison: Attack 50, Defense 150, Cost 500, not loadable.
- Militia: Attack 50, Defense 75, Cost 0 Automatically generated on attack, at Planet minimum troop level * 10, to a max of ~60-75. Go away at battles end.
< Message edited by Shark7 -- 1/21/2011 4:48:26 PM >
Distant Worlds Fan
'When in doubt...attack!'