Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: No-brainers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: No-brainers? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: No-brainers? - 1/22/2011 3:51:03 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

I still have no idea what Gargoil was ranting about.

What's wrong with my calculation? What he said is no different from what I wrote.

Hrmm - I may have to get my crow cook-book out. I loaded up a game and tested it again - now I'm confused. Numbers don't rack up either way. Government and racial bonuses aren't reflected.

Example:
Kuan Research Station has 80 base, so 35% bonus you get 28 bonus points.
360 capacity, 386 actual - so I seem to have lost 2 points somewhere - if the bonus is only applied to the station and not ALL research in that branch.
In that case, where's my racial and government bonus?

Seems to me that something has changed - I'm SURE that I had different results with 1.50. Only way to test, is to roll back - and I'm not too keen on that. Erik wants to check it out, he can do a code review - quicker that way. (current 1.502)

One thing I have noticed is that the game needs to run a minute or two before new bonuses show up. I did my test by starting a new game as a starting empire, finding a neutron star and plopping down a research station via the editor, then letting it run a minute or two before checking the research page. All the bonuses were applied at the global level when I checked.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 31
RE: No-brainers? - 1/22/2011 3:53:30 PM   
Data

quote:

One thing I have noticed is that the game needs to run a minute or two before new bonuses show up

the same seems to be true about all areas of the game like new income and others, they do not reflect immediately
it takes time to setup tax collection or research projects, etc

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 32
RE: No-brainers? - 1/23/2011 1:31:43 PM   
unclean

quote:

Example:
360 capacity, 386 actual - so I seem to have lost 2 points somewhere - if the bonus is only applied to the station and not ALL research in that branch.

Seems to me that something has changed - I'm SURE that I had different results with 1.50. Only way to test, is to roll back - and I'm not too keen on that. Erik wants to check it out, he can do a code review - quicker that way. (current 1.502)

Okay, I think I see how this works, it's:

Energy Research Capacity * Empire Research Potential / Empire Research Capacity * Gov Bonus * Race Bonus * Individual Research Station Bonuses = Actual Output

For Energy research:
360*596/1080*1.25*1.15*1.35=385.54, and it gets rounded up to 386

That works perfectly for Weapons and High Tech in your screen shot too.

So, it looks like anomalies only give a bonus to your Empire Research Potential, the actual points generated aren't effected at all, and you can probably get above a %100 bonus because they aren't additive.

< Message edited by unclean -- 1/23/2011 1:33:59 PM >

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 33
RE: No-brainers? - 1/23/2011 4:51:20 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

I still have no idea what Gargoil was ranting about.

What's wrong with my calculation? What he said is no different from what I wrote.

Hrmm - I may have to get my crow cook-book out. I loaded up a game and tested it again - now I'm confused. Numbers don't rack up either way. Government and racial bonuses aren't reflected.

Example:

Maybe I misunderstood you. Maybe not. My point is if you have a +35% and a +15% in Weapons research at two different locations, you would get the +50% EMPIRE WIDE.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 34
RE: No-brainers? - 1/24/2011 2:14:16 AM   
unclean

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T
I've heard from many players that lots of high tech armor combined with couple of repair-bots can be surprisingly effective, can't say for sure. As I said I'm shield heavy person too. I might test this out with the Ikkuro (unique repair-bots) on some of my next games.

Okay, I've tried stacking armor with the Ikkuro, and I couldn't make it work. It's just bad in a pitched fight since Repair Bots only reduce damage after it gets past the reactive rating on armor, and torpedoes and blasters shred armor way faster than it can get repaired, even if you have higher tech armor than their weapons. For the cost it's just not worth it.

It did stop fighters and missiles from sniping retreating ships after their shields went down, and made for some really mean long range missile destroyers - with a decent reactive rating and some PD they can be nearly immune to long range weapons, and if you add enough engines they can outrange just about anything else. You don't need a lot of armor for either of those though.

So yeah, I can't see a reason for stacking armor, or even using higher tier armor except in a few weird situations. If you can find a way to make it work I'd love to hear it.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 35
RE: No-brainers? - 1/24/2011 6:20:32 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

Maybe I misunderstood you. Maybe not. My point is if you have a +35% and a +15% in Weapons research at two different locations, you would get the +50% EMPIRE WIDE.

AFAIK, no - only the highest bonus is applied. So for one +35% weapons research site and a +15% weapons research site - only the higher (+35%) applies.

Unclean has made sense of the tech points generation - you should read his post above.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 36
RE: No-brainers? - 1/24/2011 6:26:24 PM   
Larsenex

Just to be clear.... For Armor I should NOT waste my research nor should I put a 'ton' of it on. What would be a safe minimum to put on all ships or Destroyers and up?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 3570K Oc'd to 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram
GTX 670 w/ 2gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 37
RE: No-brainers? - 1/24/2011 6:35:29 PM   
J HG T

I put 1-5 to destroyers, 5-10 to cruisers and about 10 to capitals. For all bases I use basic desings amount or slightly less. I don't know does it actually matter, but I feel a bit "safer" when my ships have at least some armor. Good shields and ECM are the way to go when I design dedicated combat ships.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 38
RE: No-brainers? - 1/24/2011 6:48:56 PM   
gmot

I always put a bit of armor with the same reasoning as J HG T. Not logical if it doesn't make any difference, but it makes me feel safer. Which is the whole point of course

Larsenex, now you need to change your sig to "Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!"

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> RE: No-brainers? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI