Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/12/2011 11:17:11 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

From my initial tests I still use 3 just to be sure. I hate coming up short on that attack with the IV corps.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 151
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/13/2011 8:40:03 PM   
SuluSea

Does anyone have the time to see if they can break this as it's almost as wide as I can get it. I'll put up a file if anyone can help.  I wasted a couple MPs (maybe 6-8) and has a few mobile forces not exactly where I want them. Thanks.

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 152
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/13/2011 9:06:59 PM   
PeeDeeAitch

Good way to test these things is to play the soviet turn yourself and just be creative - sometimes you spot things you never would have imagined.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 153
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/13/2011 9:24:17 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

Good way to test these things is to play the soviet turn yourself and just be creative - sometimes you spot things you never would have imagined.

Thanks PeeDee, I should have mentioned already did that a number of times. Closest I came was one hex but that's putting Soviet tanks at risk next turn, be my guest. Atleast the way I see it now.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 2/13/2011 9:25:09 PM >

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

Post #: 154
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/13/2011 9:29:55 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

Does anyone have the time to see if they can break this as it's almost as wide as I can get it. I'll put up a file if anyone can help.  I wasted a couple MPs (maybe 6-8) and has a few mobile forces not exactly where I want them. Thanks.

I hate quoting a picture but here goes...

Directly north of the SS Motorized Division

Move the Western tank one hex east. They are GUARENTEED one hex movement.

Move the eastern tank or cav division to convert the other hex.

Then you SHOULD be de-isolated.

Quickest way of checking this is to run a head to head against yourself.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 155
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/13/2011 9:46:39 PM   
SuluSea

Just broke it,

Next turn I'll position the armor better and not waste the mps during movement

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 2/13/2011 11:24:47 PM >

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 156
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/14/2011 7:53:48 PM   
CharonJr

I have come to like this opening, it removes all but 1 mobile corps from 2. Panzergruppe, 1 assigned to 1. Panzergruppe and the other one just helping AGS. It is possible to reach Kiev by turn 3 and cross the Dnepr by turn 4 with this setup, just be sure to have lots of transports/level bombers close to drop fuel at the spearheads.

If the Soviets try a forward defense it is fairly likely that you can bag a large portion of the units down there due to the large number of mobile forces which will still have lots of MPs during turn 2 and the units that get activaetd on turn 2 will still have good MPs during turn 3.

The screenshot is from my AAR, so dont worry about some of the comments ;)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CharonJr -- 2/14/2011 7:54:02 PM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 157
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 12:56:56 AM   
cap_and_gown

quote:

ORIGINAL: CharonJr

I have come to like this opening, it removes all but 1 mobile corps from 2. Panzergruppe, 1 assigned to 1. Panzergruppe and the other one just helping AGS. It is possible to reach Kiev by turn 3 and cross the Dnepr by turn 4 with this setup, just be sure to have lots of transports/level bombers close to drop fuel at the spearheads.

If the Soviets try a forward defense it is fairly likely that you can bag a large portion of the units down there due to the large number of mobile forces which will still have lots of MPs during turn 2 and the units that get activaetd on turn 2 will still have good MPs during turn 3.

The screenshot is from my AAR, so dont worry about some of the comments ;)

One problem with this is at the very southern part. The isolation can be broken. That would mean on turn 2 you could not begin cleaning the Lvov pocket because the units would route out of the pocket rather than surrender. To ensure that isolation is maintained, you need two divisions down by the Prut. One needs to displace the NKVD regiment, the other needs to convert hexes after the NKVD regiment is displaced.

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 158
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 1:02:12 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

Call me a traditionalist, but I don't like denuding the center so much. I like the 2x2 opening move (2 panzer corps for 3rd Group, 2 corps for 2nd Group) to cut a wide swath in the center and ensure completely surrounding the Bialystok-Lida pocket.  The flexibility is still there, the 3rd corps from Guderian goes south to isolate Lvov, and the XIV corps (from the 1st Group) can join the 2nd on turn 2.

Now, Charon has shown what this strategy can do - he is carving up the south, but I am a curmudgeon. So there!

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to cap_and_gown)
Post #: 159
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 1:16:59 AM   
CharonJr

quote:

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

One problem with this is at the very southern part. The isolation can be broken. That would mean on turn 2 you could not begin cleaning the Lvov pocket because the units would route out of the pocket rather than surrender. To ensure that isolation is maintained, you need two divisions down by the Prut. One needs to displace the NKVD regiment, the other needs to convert hexes after the NKVD regiment is displaced.

Hmm exactly where in the very south? With the ZOCs down there I can't see the Soviets opening that pocket, unless they have a higher chance to enter a ZOC when it is not their first move than what I have experienced so far.

(in reply to cap_and_gown)
Post #: 160
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 1:52:20 AM   
Mynok

Right on the border: the SEC moves east 1 hex. The rifle division moves west one hex. Pocket broken.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 161
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 2:05:55 AM   
randallw

I would probably have to reread the manual on who gets control of a hex when it would be disputed like that.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 162
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 2:19:48 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

Doesn't that middle hex (soviet controlled in the pic) become axis controlled at the start of the soviet turn since there is not soviet zoc in it - in effect like the large area of the Lvov pocket that switch to axis control at the start of the soviet turn?

This makes it harder to breach.

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 163
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 4:27:01 AM   
SuluSea

I'm real happy with the latest  and last south plan, I spent the whole evening trying to break it and came 2 hexes short everytime, not saying an expert couldn't do it however.  FWIW those tanks on the edges that look threatening have been knocked around pretty good already.

Post #: 164
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 10:11:25 AM   
CharonJr

Yes, the middle hex will change to my control, the armor has a ZOC there and the Soviets do not ;)

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 165
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 10:43:36 PM   
Phenix

Hi Charon, with what did you dislodge the row of soviet defenders infront of Rovno?, there is usally some Soviet armour and i think a mech, cant seem to do both (the pocket and clear these 5 Rovno hexes)

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 166
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 10:52:32 PM   
CharonJr

Should have been AGC armor IIRC.

(in reply to Phenix)
Post #: 167
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 2/15/2011 10:59:20 PM   
Phenix

Stange, i get "defence held" when i attack them with armor.

(in reply to CharonJr)
Post #: 168
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/2/2011 6:51:10 PM   
carnifex

This is my AGS pocket. It activates the southern front, doesn't use any AGC assets, doesn't require splitting divisions, and as far as I can tell, is bombproof. It does result in a smaller pocket than the ones shown above, but I don't want to strip AGC at all.

Please note that I only moved the pocketing units in that screenshot - I didn't move any other units or carry out any other attacks.

(in reply to Phenix)
Post #: 169
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 3:03:41 PM   
sitito

Another variant in the south:

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 170
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 5:45:49 PM   
LiquidSky

You left your RR engineer unprotected.

What's the sense of sending $2 million missiles to hit a $10 tent that's empty?

— President George W. Bush, Oval Office meeting, 13 September 2001.

(in reply to sitito)
Post #: 171
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 6:05:19 PM   
sitito

From where it can be attacked?? It has sure ZOC

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 172
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 6:26:58 PM   
821Bobo

If it is from the game vs. me, I didnt see them

(in reply to sitito)
Post #: 173
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 7:59:53 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: sitito

The Soviet unit only needs to move next to it. A one hex move is always possible for only one selected unit.

Zero CV units auto displace when an enemy moves adjacent.

(in reply to sitito)
Post #: 174
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 8:22:49 PM   
Mynok

quote:

I believe it will displace just like an HQ if an enemy unit moves adjacent.

EDIT: I see someone beat me to it.

< Message edited by Mynok -- 3/3/2011 8:23:37 PM >

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to sitito)
Post #: 175
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 8:26:11 PM   
alfonso

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

This is my AGS pocket. It activates the southern front, doesn't use any AGC assets, doesn't require splitting divisions, and as far as I can tell, is bombproof. It does result in a smaller pocket than the ones shown above, but I don't want to strip AGC at all.

Please note that I only moved the pocketing units in that screenshot - I didn't move any other units or carry out any other attacks.

When you say bombproof, do you mean the Soviet cannot reconnect?

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 176
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 8:37:01 PM   
sitito

quote:

If it is from the game vs. me, I didnt see them

yes

quote:

The Soviet unit only needs to move next to it. A one hex move is always possible for only one selected unit.

Zero CV units auto displace when an enemy moves adjacent.

I Know, but I thought any isolated unit could move to the adjacent hex ... i was lucky

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 177
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 8:46:01 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

Another variant in the south:

Is that a tank division split up into regiments at Tarnapol?

The Soviets have some powerful Mech/Tank Divisions in the South. They would probably smack a regiment,cos its an easy target. They could also surround your regiments to give ZOC penalties. You would have to move the regiments then rearwards to recombine, spending some of your precious movement points.

I cant tell easily if they are regiments cos of Imageshacks smaller image size.

(in reply to sitito)
Post #: 178
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/3/2011 8:57:11 PM   
821Bobo

quote:

Is that a tank division split up into regiments at Tarnapol? The Soviets have some powerful Mech/Tank Divisions in the South. They would probably smack a regiment,cos its an easy target. They could also surround your regiments to give ZOC penalties. You would have to move the regiments then rearwards to recombine, spending some of your precious movement points. I cant tell easily if they are regiments cos of Imageshacks smaller image size.

I made contact with the 2 divisions on Romanian border. And yes they are regiments but I had not enough MP to attack or they held, cannot remember(its a week ago).

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 179
RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves - 3/4/2011 4:33:03 AM   
carnifex

quote:

ORIGINAL: alfonso

When you say bombproof, do you mean the Soviet cannot reconnect?

Yes, I tried to get the Soviets to break the pocket maybe a dozen times to account for the variable movement allowances and they just can't get through the ZOC. The key is to have one armor unit with enough movement to reach that rail line west of Stanislav.

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: AGS Turn 1 Moves Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI