Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Movement Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Movement Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movement Question - 1/14/2011 3:07:38 AM   
bjmorgan

Many times I find that I am unable to move land units from one hex to another. This one baffles me. I made this screenshot from the Japanese player view, so that you can see all Japanese units. (Oddly, all the Allies in this area relevant to the situation can be seen, too.) I am the allied player trying to move into a Japanese occupied hex.

No matter what I do, I get a "no destination hex set," or some such as I try to set any unit in the first hex to move. This is also true for any unit in the hex to the north, too. What's the cause, or likely causes?

I've tried them in combat formation, move formation. I've tried armored units, infantry. Essentially, I've tried every combination I can think of. I'm stumped.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 3:34:38 AM   
bjmorgan

Sorry, forgot to show the pic.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 2
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 5:33:02 AM   
YankeeAirRat

How long are you waiting for a unit to move? I don't have a copy of the game infront of me, but I think the manual said that each of the hexes are 20nm across. That is a bunch of milage to cover in just a day turn. So you have to plot a move and give them at least a two or more turns to move from one hex to another.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 3
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 6:11:20 AM   
erstad

Occasionally I've noticed that ground movement depends on where in the destination hex you click. I've never studied this well enough to tell you exactly where will work but you might try clicking the center, a couple different corners, etc. and see if that works.

Of course, I might be hallucinating.

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 4
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 7:45:34 AM   
Alfred

Try giving an enemy base as the destination. Hopefully the travel path will start due west, crossing into the hex you really want to move.

In AE movement from one non base hex to another non base hex often creates the problem you have encountered. However movement to a base hex never seems to be so affected.

Alfred

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 5
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 12:28:06 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

Occasionally I've noticed that ground movement depends on where in the destination hex you click. I've never studied this well enough to tell you exactly where will work but you might try clicking the center, a couple different corners, etc. and see if that works.

This is what I see as well, seems like if a friendly unit is in the hex you intend to move more units , the mouse needs to be towards the edge of the hex, if clicking the destination hex the nearer the friendly unit you get the no destination set or whatever the game states.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 1/14/2011 12:29:54 PM >

”How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!” ~ Samuel Adams

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 6
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 1:11:00 PM   
bjmorgan

The units in the base to the north I have tried to move every turn for six months or so. I assumed that there was another unit adjacent to Japanese unit in the hex I'm truing to move into that is preventing me to move. I see that all the time in CHina; my units just won't move into a hex when they are adjacent to any other Japanese unit. The units indicated I've tried to move for about two weeks. I moved them there to clear away the Japanese unit I thought must be there, but there wasn't.

I also know how to see how much progress they've made, and it's none, because "no destination hex" can be set.

SuluSea, I've tried that, but it doesn't work either.

Clearly, there is something that is preventing my units from moving merely by the presence of the enemy unit. So, what is it?

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 7
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 1:58:14 PM   
Sardaukar

Have you checked with W-key that hex-side you try to move through is actually under your control and thus you are eligible to move through it?

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 8
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 2:19:44 PM   
bjmorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Have you checked with W-key that hex-side you try to move through is actually under your control and thus you are eligible to move through it?

No, I haven't and I'm at work and can't.

But, what if it's not under my control? What could I do do get it under my control?

< Message edited by bjmorgan -- 1/14/2011 2:20:38 PM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 2:44:18 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

quote:

But, what if it's not under my control? What could I do do get it under my control?

Since you should be (based on screenshot) be only occupant of the hex, your hex-side should be green for you. There has been some glitches where this has not happened though. Using W-key might reveal if that's the case, it'd be bug. In previous versions, there has also been hexes (usually when there was previous combat) where I just could not select the hex as destination, no matter what I did. I haven't encountered that in last couple betas, though.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 10
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 4:31:54 PM   
bjmorgan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Since you should be (based on screenshot) be only occupant of the hex, your hex-side should be green for you. There has been some glitches where this has not happened though. Using W-key might reveal if that's the case, it'd be bug. In previous versions, there has also been hexes (usually when there was previous combat) where I just could not select the hex as destination, no matter what I did. I haven't encountered that in last couple betas, though.

Hmmm ... That could be it, then. There was combat in the hex at one time. But, I have installed the last non-beta update that came out about a month (?) ago. I wonder if that bug still is still there.

Well, I get off work in an hour or so, so I'll do a little investigating.

And I was really getting into this game as I was finally kicking some Japanese patootie. Now, I may have to march several hundred miles to try another avenue of approach. Sounds like something Col Nicholson (Alec Guinness) would do. To show how resilitent his troops were.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 11
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 6:58:40 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmmm ... That could be it, then. There was combat in the hex at one time. But, I have installed the last non-beta update that came out about a month (?) ago. I wonder if that bug still is still there.

Well, I get off work in an hour or so, so I'll do a little investigating.

And I was really getting into this game as I was finally kicking some Japanese patootie. Now, I may have to march several hundred miles to try another avenue of approach. Sounds like something Col Nicholson (Alec Guinness) would do. To show how resilitent his troops were.

I think the other responses you got are better, but my first thought when I saw your screenie was (I think) you're trying to ford a river into an occupied hex, and the river might be part of the problem, depending on your OpMode. It shouldn't be, but I'm just suggesting.

The Moose

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 12
RE: Movement Question - 1/14/2011 9:04:15 PM   
bjmorgan

Well, that might be possible except that NONE of the adjacent units can enter the hex. I think there's a bug here. As suggested, I pushed w to see the hexside status. If nobody can give me a reason, I'll post this to tech support.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 13
RE: Movement Question - 1/15/2011 12:48:36 AM   
Mistmatz

What's the OP mode of the unit? If it's strategic movement you'd get the message you mentioned.

If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_the_Pacific:_Admiral%27s_Edition_Wiki

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 14
RE: Movement Question - 1/15/2011 1:08:54 AM   
Blue Duck

I have also had this problem when trying to enter a hex with an enemy LCU. Had to click several times in different parts of the hex before it finally registered the move. The problem has only been happening lately after I installed the latest beta patch.

(in reply to Mistmatz)
Post #: 15
RE: Movement Question - 1/15/2011 7:41:08 AM   
sprior

quote:

Had to click several times in different parts of the hex before it finally registered the move

I've seen that too.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Blue Duck)
Post #: 16
RE: Movement Question - 1/16/2011 4:46:21 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

Are sure that is not because of your college experimentation phase ?

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 17
RE: Movement Question - 1/16/2011 5:54:33 AM   
crsutton

I have seen the problem in China and it seem like a slight bug since one of the latest patches. Sometimes if I try to move a unit in "move" setting into a contested hex (yes the hexsides are all green) I will get that message and cannot move the unit. Usually, I can change it to "combat" mode and then it will allow me to set the move to the adjacient hex. Once the move is set, I can then change the unit back to "move" mode and it will still start moving.

Occasionly, this will not work either and I can get about it by setting the unit to move to a destination beyond the adjacent hex. Once that is accepted, usually I can then come back and target the hex that I want to move it into. A bit of a pain but some messing around will usually get it to work.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 18
RE: Movement Question - 1/16/2011 1:32:44 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I have seen the problem in China and it seem like a slight bug since one of the latest patches. Sometimes if I try to move a unit in "move" setting into a contested hex (yes the hexsides are all green) I will get that message and cannot move the unit. Usually, I can change it to "combat" mode and then it will allow me to set the move to the adjacient hex. Once the move is set, I can then change the unit back to "move" mode and it will still start moving.

Occasionly, this will not work either and I can get about it by setting the unit to move to a destination beyond the adjacent hex. Once that is accepted, usually I can then come back and target the hex that I want to move it into. A bit of a pain but some messing around will usually get it to work.

I have had the same experience in China and used the same techniques to overcome it.

Hans

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 19
RE: Movement Question - 1/16/2011 3:24:12 PM   
foliveti

If it is not letting you move into a contested hex in move mode, that could be WAD.  Not that I know, but it would make sense that you can't move into a hex with an enemy LCU in move mode.

Frank

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: Movement Question - 1/16/2011 4:19:39 PM   
Rainer

quote:

If it is not letting you move into a contested hex in move mode, that could be WAD. Not that I know, but it would make sense that you can't move into a hex with an enemy LCU in move mode.

No such design. You can move into contested hexes (if all other parameters fit).
I do it all the time to speed marching up, and when my troops are about 20 to 30 miles - depending on road condition - from the enemy I switch to combat.

WitP/AE Devs Fan Boy
1.7.11.23x10 beta
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

(in reply to foliveti)
Post #: 21
RE: Movement Question - 1/18/2011 2:11:08 PM   
bjmorgan

Well, they finally started moving. A few turns after I posted this, and after trying evry turn, I finally got a "unit will move to hex ....," or whatever it says.

The same turn, the guys in the north could also move into the hex.

So, I'm conivnced there was a USO troupe in the area and the troops just had to go to the dances.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 22
RE: Movement Question - 1/18/2011 6:32:05 PM   
inqistor

There are three cases, where units can not move:
(1) moving from one enemy ZOC, into other ZOC. Units which you are trying to move are clear, so it is not the case
(2) no valid supply path. You are near friendly supply base, so this is not the case either
(3) too low morale. Units tends to refuse move into enemy hex, when they have too low on morale. You can try several times, and eventually they could move. I am not sure it works, when you actually have troops in enemy hex. Your troops are sitting there long enough to recover morale.

So I can not explain this behaviour.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Movement Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI