Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers required
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery escapees

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Artillery escapees Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery escapees - 1/11/2011 10:16:02 PM   
squatter

Just looked at CR battles report and noticed that surrendering isolated Russian units were escaping with 3k men (acceptable) and 60 guns! They were dragging 60 anti tank guns with no fuel or supply through 60km of enemy territory occupied by panzer divisions. Day and night, dragging large caliber field pieces silently past enemy patrols. Swimming rivers and brooks with the barrels on their backs to make their three-day escape.

I would have thought men brave enough to flee from a surrrendering unit under attack in a pocket isolated deep behind enemy lines for three weeks will likely take side arms and grenades and run.

This isnt isolated, but regular. I suggest the amount of guns escaping from pockets be reduced. This might help increase the amount of captured equipment as well, which does feel a tad low.

< Message edited by squatter -- 1/11/2011 10:19:29 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Artillery escapees - 1/11/2011 10:31:48 PM   
CarnageINC

I totally agree with what your saying, there is way to much equipment escaping IMO.  But one could look at it as trucks and guns are escaping not just the guns by themselves.

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 2
RE: Artillery escapees - 1/11/2011 11:39:34 PM   
squatter

When we're talking groups of men struggling back in dissaray after their unit has disintegrated and surrendered, escaping under the nose of their enemies from pockets dozens of kilometers behind enemy lines, i dont see columns of vehicles regularly making it out. I see groups of men slipping through forests, swamps and along streams out of sight of communication lines.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 3
RE: Artillery escapees - 1/12/2011 12:13:41 AM   
pompack

I agree. What I am not seeing in my game are the hundreds (thousands?) of captured guns that were abandoned by Russians fleeing the major pockets. I have captured 3.5 million Russians but ony 34 76 mm guns of any description. I have built 80 Marders of one type or another, but even if the Marder guns subtracted from the total captured this is still way too small a number of captured guns.

< Message edited by pompack -- 1/12/2011 3:18:54 AM >

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 4
RE: Artillery escapees - 1/12/2011 8:29:59 AM   
Wikingus

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

I agree. What I am not seeing in my game are the hundreds (thousands?) of captured guns that were abandoned by Russians fleeing the major pockets. I have captured 3.5 million Russians but ony 34 76 mm guns of any description. I have built 80 Marders of one type or another, but even if the Marder guns subtracted from the total captured this is still way too small a number of captured guns.

+1

The amount of captured equipment is too low. In my GC I've pocketed and annihilated 60+ Sov divisions so far, but I only captured a handful of guns and tanks. There should be several times as many.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 5
RE: Artillery escapees - 1/12/2011 11:26:36 AM   
Offworlder

Yes. especially such mainstays of the Red Army as the 45 mm AT, 76mm AT and 76mm infantry guns and the 122mm artillery guns were captured by their thousands. The number or maybe % of tanks captured is also low I believe. In time entire batteries if not battalions of artillery were made up of captured Red Army hardware and manned by Hiwis too. 

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Artillery escapees Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI