DW Crash

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

fierceking

DW Crash

Post by fierceking »

Error

I am also getting another error when it tries to save and tells me Out Of Memory. It saves it and then crashes. When I try to reload the last save it wont load. I've tried saving every 10 mins now and it wont load save files bigger than 45k.

I am playing with 1400 systems and I'm running 2.8 Ghz with 3 gigs of ram. I think I have enough memory for 1400 systems for it not to crash.

This is my 6th game and at a certain point it crashes and says Out Of Memory. Do I have enough ram to play 1400 systems?
Data

RE: DW Crash

Post by Data »

do you have the /3GB or /PAE switches in your boot.ini file? you may have 3gb physical memory but any program not just DW will use less then that

anyway, according to the manual you should have 2gb recommended (for the 1400 setup for sure)

Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Pentium 4 @1.5 GHz
RAM: 1Gb RAM

Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Dual Core CPU @2.0 GHz
RAM: 2Gb RAM

without those switches in the boot.ini i don't think you actually have the 2gb required. Further, if this is a 32bit machine, aside from these i would also put an extra gb of physical memory....any more than this would be useless on 32bit
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Setekh

Post by Setekh »

Wasn't the out of memory crashes fixed a while back?
What version are you running?
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

ORIGINAL: Data

do you have the /3GB or /PAE switches in your boot.ini file? you may have 3gb physical memory but any program not just DW will use less then that

anyway, according to the manual you should have 2gb recommended (for the 1400 setup for sure)

I have no idea what PAE is but you gave me an idea to change the virtural memory allocation. I've increased it but still could not load the game.

I am using the 1.5.0.1 beta and here is a pic of the crash. I've now started my 7th game and hope I don't lose this game again like the rest with the "Out Of Memory" error.

Data

Post by Data »

hope so to, PAE is an extended windows memory addresing scheme that uses a memory window - google for AWE and PAE and you find info about it
as a general reference please also keep in mind that Mem Usage and task manager in general is a poor tool for such issues....even in task manager you can better use the virtual memory column but a better tool is the perfmon (start -> run -> perfmon)

the best tools are at sysinternals, i recommend process monitor and process explorer.....those guys were so good that microsoft had to buy them
on machines like yours it really pays off to have knowledge about this so that you can safely take off and enjoy the games (actually THE game)
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
fierceking

Post by fierceking »

ORIGINAL: Data

hope so to, PAE is an extended windows memory addresing scheme that uses a memory window - google for AWE and PAE and you find info about it
as a general reference please also keep in mind that Mem Usage and task manager in general is a poor tool for such issues....even in task manager you can better use the virtual memory column but a better tool is the perfmon (start -> run -> perfmon)

the best tools are at sysinternals, i recommend process monitor and process explorer.....those guys were so good that microsoft had to buy them
on machines like yours it really pays off to have knowledge about this so that you can safely take off and enjoy the games (actually THE game)

Thanx for the reply I know you are just trying to help but I really want a response from people who made this. The pic was just to show the error and to show nothing else was running in the background. I should not be required to go thru all that just to get the game going.

Its starting to get frustrating when I can't complete a single game.

There was another thread where I had to figure out some things but this one I have no control over.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2665087

I had to install Internet Explorer (was using Firefox) - I hate IE
Upgraded Media Player to ver 11 (was using VLC Player)- Media Player is too bulky
Had to Upgraded to .NET 4.0 (the game installed .NET 3.5)
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi fierceking

The error you reported is fixed in the next update.

For your memory problems, be sure to enable PAE as suggested by others. The following link outlines the steps to take for different 32-bit Windows operating systems (64-bit Windows has this enabled by default):

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361D-01/lvhowto/enable_lrg_ad_aware/

Thanks
Elliot

Return to “Tech Support”