Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Running UV on Vista 64

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Running UV on Vista 64 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Running UV on Vista 64 - 1/6/2011 4:08:35 PM   
Senator79

X-Post: personal user helpdesk

Hello!

First of all: I´m from Germany, so please don´t bother with my mistakes. Furthermore I tried using the search-function but didn´t get any results (pop-up opened up saying that) and I read a bit through this forum.

As WitP AE is really frightening me with its complexity, but also tempting, I want to get a re-entry into this Pacific War topic with UV. So I reinstalled it today on a Vista 64 machine, which of course fulfills all the needed specification.

Then my problems aroused: First I had to pass the starting issue by renaming the video folder to “xVideo” to skip the entry videos. Then I wanted to start a game and was faced with my actual problem: the game runs awfully slow. Nearly all graphics except the map are just loaded when I touch them with the curser for the first time. Scrolling the map after clicking with the mouse lasts for at least two or three seconds. Trying to change preferences is not possible due to missing numbers in the message delay column. To sum it up: There is no possibility to play!

Things I tried were: Reading the forums looking for a hint or an answer (found the solution for the video topic that way!). Looking into the official help files and on the official sites. Trying different settings for the compatibility options offered by Vista, e.g. XP or Win 2000. Nothing worked.

So this posting is a try to get a hint or solution how to get the game fluently running.

Many thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Running UV on Vista 64 - 1/7/2011 10:51:45 AM   
Senator79

Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of my problems. Has anyone a hint for me?

Basically the game runs slows and stucks now and then after I clicked or tried to do some inputs. Sounds and music seem to work normally

Preferences: Notice the missing numbers. They appear and disappear with every click, making it impossible to setup everything properly.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7263/uv1g.jpg

Scenario Selection: List is empty right at the beginning, with single names just apperaring when the mouse first hovers over them. The description on the right often remains empty.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2926/uv2n.jpg

In game: The problem is obvious .

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/299/uv3v.jpg

(in reply to Senator79)
Post #: 2
RE: Running UV on Vista 64 - 1/7/2011 1:48:54 PM   
stingray

I've seen this before and experienced it myself. Is your computer a laptop or a desktop PC? I have both with Vista64 at home and I also have XP64 at the office.
I would first use the Windows Update to get every available update and reboot a few times in between each update. Sometimes Microsoft will reboot automatically for the updates to take effect.

Next get your info on your video card and Update the video card drivers. you may need to set this on the lowest resolution at first i.e. 800x600. There are some settings in your display properties i.e. hardware acceleration and enable write combining. these may need to be set lower or turned off depending on the type of video you have.

last thing to adjust. In Vista there are some settings to control the Start Menu Bar Pop-up. It had settings that would enable the Programs List with fade effects, Icon shadows, extra color enhancements, and etc... I turned this off and reset it to the most basics.

Do you have any special screen savers or other programs that could adjust your desktop display automatically? you may want to disable that for now.

When I got my laptop with Vista, I reset my display back to the very basics without any of the "extras". I wanted performance and speed, for my games, instead of the fancy graphics visuals for my desktop. I also wanted to free up as much RAM memory for my games...

on a side note: Did you have any AV running when you installed the game? sometimes it might not want to write files to your system if its trying to scan them for a virus. you may want to try to re-install with out running your Anti-virus. if your worried about a virus, run a check on your system first, get it clean. Then unplug our network cable or turn off your wireless connection, and install UV. See if UV runs properly.

hope this helps.

(in reply to Senator79)
Post #: 3
RE: Running UV on Vista 64 - 1/7/2011 2:02:42 PM   
mbar

Do you have the Windows fonts set higher than 100%? I noticed strange screens when playing War in the East with my desktop font settings set to 125% and 150% in Windows 7. I had to adjust it back to 100%.

(in reply to stingray)
Post #: 4
RE: Running UV on Vista 64 - 1/7/2011 2:24:15 PM   
mbar

or try this and see if UV can play this way

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Anyway...how do you open it in window mode, pls?

Right-click on the shortcut icon which launches the UV.exe, go to preferences, find the line designated 'target' and add -w behind the entry in the line.

Should look like something like this: "C:\Games\Uncommon Valor\UV.exe" -w

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 5
RE: Running UV on Vista 64 - 1/7/2011 5:02:47 PM   
Senator79

@ Stingray: Many thanks, but the hint that really helped was the one below by mbar!

@ mbar: Thank you very much, you made my day ...or even my weekend :-)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbar

or try this and see if UV can play this way

quote:

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Anyway...how do you open it in window mode, pls?

Right-click on the shortcut icon which launches the UV.exe, go to preferences, find the line designated 'target' and add -w behind the entry in the line.

Should look like something like this: "C:\Games\Uncommon Valor\UV.exe" -w

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 6
RE: Running UV on Vista 64 - 1/7/2011 8:20:40 PM   
mbar

You're welcome Senator79. I always like to get a game working if I can. Have a great weekend!

(in reply to Senator79)
Post #: 7
RE: Running UV on Vista 64 - 8/10/2011 2:44:35 PM   
BootyJoe

I write the -w as instructed but still do not get windowed mode. Running Windows 7.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Running UV on Vista 64 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI