Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

World of Tanks!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> World of Tanks! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 3:49:10 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

Having recently discovered this gem of a game, I'm completely addicted. I never considered myself much of a treadhead, but WoT has really turned me into one.

I really have to hand it to the dev team for the way they crafted the gameplay, turning what is essentially just another "capture the flag" game into something more.

Is anyone here playing? I've seen quite a few of my old Aces High squadmates playing, having turned in their planes for AFVs.

Nothing like releasing a bit of pent up stress by slamming a 50mm AP round into the side of an unsuspecting foe.
Post #: 1
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 4:52:47 PM   
apathetic lurker

Yeah, Im semi-addicted too....Finally fully tricked out my Jagdpanther today but I still prefer my Marder

< Message edited by apathetic lurker -- 1/4/2011 4:54:17 PM >

(in reply to Slick Wilhelm)
Post #: 2
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 6:48:47 PM   
vonRocko

Does your crew play any part in this game? Do they get killed or wounded, then replaced? How about experience, does the crew get it or the tank itself? What about in the battle, can you lose a driver, for example, and be immobolized? Can you shift crew positions?
Thanks

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 3
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 6:59:15 PM   
bairdlander

Does WoT still have different forces tanks on same side?I.e. T-34's on same team as Tigers?

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 4
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 8:03:42 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Does your crew play any part in this game?

Yes, but only based on their "skills" rankings. From what I can tell so far, your crew's skills affect things like how quickly you can bring your gun reticle on target, ammo loading time, emergency damage repair, etc.

quote:

Do they get killed or wounded, then replaced?

Nobody gets killed in this game, only wounded. An interview with the Russian CEO of the dev company stated that this is so they can get a more kid-friendly rating. So, when you tank get knocked out in a battle, your crew is considered to have bailed out and are unwounded, unless they are specifically wounded during the battle.

quote:

How about experience, does the crew get it or the tank itself?

At first, you get all the experience earned during the battle. You use that experience to research upgraded weapons, engines, tracks, etc. for your tank. When you've researched everything possible for that particular tank, you may then tell the game to use all of the future experience earned while fighting in this tank for upgrading your crew's skills.

The tank itself only gets upgraded equipment as you research and purchase it.

quote:

What about in the battle, can you lose a driver, for example, and be immobolized?

Yes, this happens. If your driver gets wounded(nobody dies, remember), that affects the speed of your tank for the rest of the battle. You may also become temporarily immobilized if your tracks get hit. If you survive being a sitting duck for a short period of time, then the track is repaired by your crew and you may proceed to drive(albeit with decreased speed and manuverability).

quote:

Can you shift crew positions?

No. Your view is zoomable 3rd person. You may zoom in all the way for an optics-like view, however. It's a lot like any other FPS, only you're a tank instead of a human.

I think it plays remarkably like armored combat in Battleground Europe(WW2OL).

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 5
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 8:05:15 PM   
Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Does WoT still have different forces tanks on same side?I.e. T-34's on same team as Tigers?

Yes. It's my understanding that to get only country vs. country battles is with their clan battle mode.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 6
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 9:58:41 PM   
apathetic lurker

Another thing not mentioned.... Once you fully research your vehicle, you can put future xp into training your crew faster or convert them for "gold" into free experience that can be used to research and upgrade different vehicles. Otherwise the xp you gain on one vehicle stays there even when you finish maxing everything out. You get a small amount of "gold " every day. Gold is also used to increase the amount of xp and money you get for battles.
Money is used to buy the researched equipment upgrades or new vehicles.

(in reply to Slick Wilhelm)
Post #: 7
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 10:19:02 PM   
vonRocko

Very interesting!....Thanks guys.

Post #: 8
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/4/2011 10:20:09 PM   
Yogi the Great

Hmmmmm, War that no one is killed in. Sounds like it ends one of the arguments against going to war. I wonder if this was a decision made for political correctness? Or maybe as I think of some campaign games and Fight in the Skies I used to play it was always devasting to lose your character and/or in particular your experienced character and all that knowledge and skill he had. Maybe it is hoped that game buyers will like not losing that and being able to continue with the added skills?

Sounds like World of Tanks would be fun to play at any rate.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

Post #: 9
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/5/2011 3:24:05 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Hmmmmm, War that no one is killed in.

Well I suppose you respawn in the middle of the battle if you get killed like those shooters.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 10
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/5/2011 4:12:23 AM   
Scott_WAR

No, once your tank is destroyed you have to wait until the battle is over. Then you can repair and upgrade your tank and enter another battle. You can buy extra tanks and then instead of having to wait until the battle is over you can exit and use another vehicle in a different battle.

This is a fun game. I havent played in a while because I have been busy with other games, but I will be playing again at some point.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 1/5/2011 4:13:52 AM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 11
RE: World of Tanks! - 1/5/2011 4:32:58 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

No, once your tank is destroyed you have to wait until the battle is over. Then you can repair and upgrade your tank and enter another battle. You can buy extra tanks and then instead of having to wait until the battle is over you can exit and use another vehicle in a different battle.

This is a fun game. I havent played in a while because I have been busy with other games, but I will be playing again at some point.

Sounds cool.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> World of Tanks! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll