Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Request

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> A Request Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Request - 1/2/2011 4:11:04 PM   
US87891

I received this title from a friend as a Christmes gift and know little about it. I am not what people would consider a wargamer though have some interest in the genre. Perusing these texts I see that some modifications have been introduced by members with a connection to the professional community and oriented towards professional development. This excites my interest. However the scale of this thing is vast and I do not want to learn one system only to have to learn another once the basics are understood. Are there any short period scenarios that are useful as a learning tool? I ask mostly with regards to the DaBigBabes modifications, as those seem to be based on concepts that parallel my anticipated use. Thank you.

Mathias.
Post #: 1
RE: A Request - 1/2/2011 4:19:54 PM   
Alfred

Not certain what exactly you mean by learning system. DaBigBabes uses the same code as vanilla. The differences are basically found in the OOB. Any different scenario is going to have a different OOB.

Alfred

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 2
RE: A Request - 1/2/2011 5:07:30 PM   
US87891

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Not certain what exactly you mean by learning system. DaBigBabes uses the same code as vanilla. The differences are basically found in the OOB. Any different scenario is going to have a different OOB.

Alfred

Thank you for your answer. Yes. I understand that the basic code execution is the same and that scenarios are merely underlying data structures. DaBigBabes appears to have substantial structural data variations that impact how the basic code responds. At least that is the impression I get from reading these texts.

A learning system is simply a short, circumscribed, scenario in which the major conceptual elements are available as tools so that one can learn how to use them.

Mathias

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: A Request - 1/2/2011 10:21:29 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Alfred

Thank you for your answer. Yes. I understand that the basic code execution is the same and that scenarios are merely underlying data structures. DaBigBabes appears to have substantial structural data variations that impact how the basic code responds. At least that is the impression I get from reading these texts.

A learning system is simply a short, circumscribed, scenario in which the major conceptual elements are available as tools so that one can learn how to use them.

Mathias

Hi, US87891.

Welcome to the world of AE! The smallest scenario available is "Coral Sea". Very short, low unit count and playable. I would suggest that you start with "Coral Sea". There is no production involved, which greatly simplifies matters for the Japanese Player.

Do hope you give it a try. Next, in size, is "The Thousand Mile War" - which covers the Aleutians campaign; followed by "Guadalcanal" - which has a larger number of units, ships, aircraft involved.

Hope this help. Don't hesitate to ask for help, the players on this forum are knowledgeable and willing to asst. There is also a "search" function at the bottom of the page; much has already been posted on virtually any conceivable subject.

The basics you learn in the above scenarios should remain the same - regardless of which of the larger scenarios or modifications (and there are a number of excellent mods to choose from) you choose to play.

Glad to have you with us,

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 4
RE: A Request - 1/2/2011 10:57:27 PM   
oldman45

If I understand your question, Babes only applies to the Grand Campaign. Learning the mechanics of the game in the 3 smaller scenario's that have already been listed is a good idea and I strongly recommend it. When you feel ready to play the Grand Campaign, d/l the bigbabes mod and have at it.

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> A Request Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI