Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Disengagements

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Public Beta Feedback >> Disengagements Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Disengagements - 12/31/2010 3:24:22 PM   
shunwick

Ralph or Bob,

I have upgraded to TOAW 3.4.201 beta.

If a unit disengages from the enemy and takes a weak enough disengagement attack to allow it to disengage but strong enough to set the retreated flag then if it moves into a rail hex it is allowed to board a train even if it has no movement points left.

As long as the unit is showing “retreated”, airborne units are allowed to board aircraft in an airfield hex and any unit may board ships in a port.

Note though that very occasionally it is possible to have a “retreated” para unit in an airfield hex and unable to board aircraft (although still possible to board ships or a train) even if it has movement points left. I can find no reason why this should happen.

Best wishes,
Steve
Post #: 1
RE: Disengagements - 1/1/2011 1:45:37 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Ralph or Bob,

I have upgraded to TOAW 3.4.201 beta.

If a unit disengages from the enemy and takes a weak enough disengagement attack to allow it to disengage but strong enough to set the retreated flag then if it moves into a rail hex it is allowed to board a train even if it has no movement points left.

As long as the unit is showing “retreated”, airborne units are allowed to board aircraft in an airfield hex and any unit may board ships in a port.

Yet another old ACOW bug just now discovered! How many are there of these things still lurking in there?

However, note that in 3.4, if using the New Turn Order Rules, the "retreated" condition has basically disappeared.

quote:

Note though that very occasionally it is possible to have a “retreated” para unit in an airfield hex and unable to board aircraft (although still possible to board ships or a train) even if it has movement points left. I can find no reason why this should happen.

They might be rebuilt para units - they can't be dropped.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2
RE: Disengagements - 1/4/2011 3:15:11 PM   
shunwick

Bob,

Yes, I figured it was old bug and you are correct that under the new turn rules it is no longer the bug it was. It is still a bug, however.

The problem with releasing betas is that everyone is honour bound to test them!

By the way, I never tested airmobile units but I assume that they are allowed to board helicopters if they have the retreated flag set.

As for the reason that "retreated" airborne units very occasionally are not allowed to board aircraft is not due to the unit being rebuilt. Something else is happening but I can't figure out what. Not that it matters though.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Happy New Year!

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 3
RE: Disengagements - 1/5/2011 8:59:56 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

...As for the reason that "retreated" airborne units very occasionally are not allowed to board aircraft is not due to the unit being rebuilt. Something else is happening but I can't figure out what. Not that it matters though.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Happy New Year!

If the retreated unit starts the turn with part of its movement expended (which it will), then the program will treat it as having already moved that turn and so not let it board the aircraft.

At any rate, I'll put my money on that as the explanation.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/5/2011 9:00:39 PM >

"...this country belongs to us, to the white man."

-- Israeli Interior Minister Eli Yishai, interview published on 6/3/2012. Interesting world.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 4
RE: Disengagements - 1/7/2011 3:51:43 PM   
shunwick

Colin,

Sorry but you missed the point of the original post. There is a bug in which "retreated" units are allowed to board trains and ships. Airborne "retreated" units are allowed to board aircraft (or trains or ships).

Only - very occasionally, the "retreated" airborne unit cannot board aircraft. This is the only bit that is working correctly but I have no explanation for it. It is not important - just a curiouslty.

Is there a routine that checks weather conditions over airfields to inhibit air operations? I know there is a routine to check the weather over peaks.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 5
RE: Disengagements - 1/7/2011 5:08:22 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Is there a routine that checks weather conditions over airfields to inhibit air operations? I know there is a routine to check the weather over peaks.

I just checked and you can definitely board aircraft in a hex that is being rained on.

Any chance that you just lacked sufficent airlift?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 6
RE: Disengagements - 1/11/2011 3:43:17 PM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I just checked and you can definitely board aircraft in a hex that is being rained on.

Any chance that you just lacked sufficent airlift?

Bob "Call me Curtis" Cross,

More airlift than you can shake a stick at. No, something else is happening.

Best wishes,
Steve

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Public Beta Feedback >> Disengagements Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI