How to: automatically change resolution when starting the game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

unclean

How to: automatically change resolution when starting the game

Post by unclean »

First off, apologies if something like this has been posted. I looked over the forums and didn't see anything that seemed to fit the bill.

Anyways, this will let you automate the annoying task of having to change your desktop resolution two times whenever you play the game (since it doesn't have a resolution control), and change it back automatically when you exit the game.

Step 1) Download Display Changer and install
Step 2) Modify your Distant Worlds shortcut so that it looks like this, modifying the path as necessary and changing the -width and -height part to your desired resolution:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\12noon Display Changer\dc64.exe" -width=1440 -height=900 "C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\DistantWorlds.exe"
Step 3) [8D]

If you're using Seven or Vista and you get an error, make sure you have the game set to run in administrator mode, since the game requires it for some odd reason.
Orzelek

RE: How to: automatically change resolution when starting the game

Post by Orzelek »

There is also a startup.ini file in which you can specify resolution in which game will start.

You need to uncomment (remove starting `) from screenwidth/height lines and insert values that you want there.
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

ORIGINAL: Orzelek

There is also a startup.ini file in which you can specify resolution in which game will start.

You need to uncomment (remove starting `) from screenwidth/height lines and insert values that you want there.

Orzlek can you give an example? My native resolution is 1680 x 1050 Apple Cinema display. I would like this reso to be the default for this game. Can you explain if possible what I would write in the INI file? I realize I am going to find a start-up file and open it in word pad. From there I will need to find the correct lines regarding resolution.

What does uncomment mean? Remove the starting apostrophes for that line?
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Setekh

Post by Setekh »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex
What does uncomment mean? Remove the starting apostrophes for that line?

yes
Athelas2211

Post by Athelas2211 »

should the game have change res mode? or maybe some info at which it runs?
playing RTS, strategy and RPG games from ...ever?
necaradan666

Post by necaradan666 »

I just created a shortcut to the Startup.ini on my desktop
easy as pie to add/remove the ' before each game, depending on what resolution I want.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”