Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Am I Doing Wrong?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> What Am I Doing Wrong? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 1:09:38 PM   
tgb

I've played the tutorial and gone through the Operational Bootcamp. I keep the manual open while I play. Yet in the Road to Minsk scenario, even winning just about every battle, forming pockets, and bombing the crap out of the Soviet air force, I can barely make it to Minsk by the end of Turn 3, let alone the three Eastern victory locations.

I've read others' claims of taking Minsk on Turn 1, so clearly it's me, but I can't figure out where I'm going wrong.

This is on normal difficulty with FOW on.
Post #: 1
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 1:19:42 PM   
ComradeP

It can be difficult. Taking Minsk on turn 1 isn't possible anymore now that engagement ranges have been dramatically lowered, minimizing the effectiveness of, especially, hasty attacks by mobile units in city and bad terrain hexes. I think a good Soviet player can easily keep the Germans from taking the eastern objectives. All that's need is a checkerboard between Minsk and the objectives to keep the Germans busy on turn 2 and then a stack in the objective hexes to make sure it isn't taken on turn 3.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 2
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 2:23:46 PM   
Mynok

The key strategic difference that got me a decisive against the AI was bypassing and isolating Minsk with the panzers on turn 2, sending them moving on towards the two eastern objectives. Leave taking Minsk to the followup infantry on turn 3.

Against a human, I would suspect it is critical to isolate and contain as many units as possible on turn 1 so they can't be used to create the checkerboard mud on turn 2.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 3
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 2:38:02 PM   
hartwig.modrow

Well, I'm not an expert, but have been struggling for a while to take more than Minsk as well against the AI - so maybe what helped me will help you as well:

I sort of concentrated too much on forming pockets on day 1. This prevented advancing sufficiently far to the East. What allowed me to do better in the end was pushing deeply towards the East near the North and South edge of the map, just forming pockets when they offered themselves and partly converging on/taking Minsk on day 2, thus forming a big pocket.

Hope this helps

Hartwig

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 4
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 2:39:56 PM   
dlazov66

Bear in my in the Boot Camp, I did a lot of 'examples' on how to deliberate or hasty attack. On turn 1 for the Axis, unless the terrain is 'nasty' you should only use hasty attacks whenever possible to get the infantry to move as far forward as possible.

What I recommend would be:

a) Air Recon (might have to run it twice if you use AI)
b) Bomb Airfield (if your wanted to learn ground mostly, make sure you set Air Doctrine to Ground Support on - 12/29/2010 hot fix for testers, not released to public yet and you can use AI but you'll have to supplement your attacks, trying for 1500 kills)
c) I would go with all infantry hasty attacks (unless terrain is bad) first and get those infantry as far forward as possible.
d) Now move your 3rd and 2nd Panzer Groups to encircle and cut off or to penetrate as deep as possible to through the Soviet AI (or human) off balance as much as possible.

I should be finished with a smallish strategy guide thing using the RTM as the test bed for ideas/suggestions and it may help but it essentially is everything above in some more detail.

One last idea I just thought of and you should not feel weird or bad about trying it, but you could run several 'test games' with RTM since it's only 3 turns, start with Easy until you beat the AI, then do Normal until you can decisively beat the AI then try Challenging.

I mostly play challenging but in the high points of testing the AI in 1943-45 I was on Hard and I did try one game on Impossible as the Axis and the Soviet AI was insane and I swear Gary took my weekly turn reviews I did as the Soviet vs German AI in 43 and multiplied by the factor of 10 and used it against me, it was really insane and by turn four there were such big gaps in my German lines I had no way of plugging them any time soon...lol so I conceded to GAIA with no shame...

War in the East/War in the West - Alpha Test Team

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 5
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 2:57:58 PM   
pompack

Caveat: non-attributed. The only downside to all of the wonderful people posting hints and tips is that there are so many I can't remember who to thank

Wonderful Hint #3: Never attack with your mobile forces if you can possibly avoid it. The primary weapon of mobile forces is mobility: use the infantry to blow holes in the defense and then use the mobile forces to encircle and isolate. If someone is blocking the road, go around them not through them (unless they are blocking the only good path though swamps).

(in reply to dlazov66)
Post #: 6
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 3:22:40 PM   
karlxii

First time I played I only took Minsk on Turn 3 and nothing more. It was a draw. I was too cautious.
Next time I played the Soviets and won and after that I tried again as the Axis and won and then took two other objectives except Minsk.

My tips are:

1) Move always the furthest away troops from the front, first and let them attack the closest russians to make up a path where your panzers can travel through without to much hinderance of enemy ZOCs. There is no reason to let the first echelon of troops take out the closest enemies. Save their movement points for later.
2) Then use your panzers and motorised infantry to move as far as possible, totally ignoring the enemies, except when they block the railroad since you want supplies and also easy terrain to move through. Use the panzers wisely and move the slowest panzers first to make room for the panzers with the highest movement points.
3) Don´t take the southern road east since the it is mainly swamp and movement is very slow. Better to use to spearheads to reach Minsk. One from Nortwest and one from Southwest. In the process you create a huge pocket or smaller ones of the trapped russians.
4) Don´t waste attacks on the russians until they are surrounded, except for making path of the panzers.
5) Don´t prioritise using your infantry to take out the pockets. Let the infantry bordering the first line Soviet troops take care of the clean-up when they are out-of-supply and move all other infantry units after the panzers.
6) Always use Hasty attacks with panzers unless the enemy is heavily fortified or have stacks of units defending across a river. Remember that infantry is better to take out urban city hexes.
7) Don´t waste your fastest panzers to take Minsk on Turn 2 at the cost of not moving toward the next objectives. They should constantly be moving. As long as you are sure to take Minsk on third turn at the latest and protect your supply lines to the Panzers.

That is how I played Minsk.

< Message edited by karlxii -- 12/30/2010 3:24:12 PM >

Värjan måste göra det bästa, ty den skämtar intet

Been playing strategy games since 1987 and the Commodore 64 days

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 7
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 3:28:57 PM   
tgb

Good suggestions, all.  As someone mentioned, I think my biggest mistake on turn 1 was focusing on making a pocket around the Western portion of the map, rather than just pushing, pushing, pushing East.

(in reply to karlxii)
Post #: 8
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 4:56:46 PM   
henri51

Unless the latest beta patch has changed it, the Soviets in my Minsk game abandoned Minsk as well as some other cities like Velikie Luki on the move after I moved units adjacent to them, to avoid encirclement. So it really doesn't matter when you take Minsk, as mentioned by some, the point is to move forward fast. Creating pockets is important, but not at the cost of bogging down your offensive.

Henri

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 9
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 5:26:40 PM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

Good suggestions, all.  As someone mentioned, I think my biggest mistake on turn 1 was focusing on making a pocket around the Western portion of the map, rather than just pushing, pushing, pushing East.

If you make certain that you take control of the hexes of the supply railroad in the north and coming northeast from Brest-Litovsk with your motorized/panzer forces, then meet with both pincers at Minsk, isolate it and move on toward the eastern objectives, you will naturally form a large pocket of the entire western Soviet forces.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to tgb)
Post #: 10
RE: What Am I Doing Wrong? - 12/30/2010 5:27:58 PM   
Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

ORIGINAL: tgb

If you make certain that you take control of the hexes of the supply railroad in the north and coming northeast from Brest-Litovsk with your motorized/panzer forces, then meet with both pincers at Minsk, isolate it and move on toward the eastern objectives, you will naturally form a large pocket of the entire western Soviet forces.

quote:

Move always the furthest away troops from the front, first and let them attack the closest russians to make up a path where your panzers can travel through without to much hinderance of enemy ZOCs. There is no reason to let the first echelon of troops take out the closest enemies. Save their movement points for later.

This is also key. Your frontline infantry can move the furthest, so save as many of their movement points as possible.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> What Am I Doing Wrong? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI