Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OKH Operation Barbarossa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> OKH Operation Barbarossa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OKH Operation Barbarossa - 12/22/2010 6:47:00 PM   
Klydon

The original OKH plans called for a Panzer Corps to attack out of Rumania to link up with 1st Panzer Army and trap Russian forces west of the Dnieper river. Hitler changed this plan in March because he felt the Dnester was too tough of a obstacle and would seriously delay any advance.

With the advent of the Balkans campaign, OKH pointed out that 2nd and 5th Panzer divisions would be unable to redeploy to central Poland in time to participate in the invasion. Actual history is both divisions had elements sent north by rail, but all the tracked vehicles were loaded on ships to be sent over to Italy and then railed back up north. Unfortunately for the Germans, the ships wandered into a freshly laid British minefield with the result that both divisions lost virtually all their tracked vehicles. This delayed their entry into the Russian campaign until the middle of September and also took approximately 2 months of tank production to rebuild.

In this version, OKH takes the opportunity to dust off their original plan and calls for the movement of both divisions to Rumania along with 16th motorized division to spearhead an attack out of Rumania to link up with 1st Panzer army as originally planned. 40th Panzer corps is in Rumania to start the game, but is frozen like other units. Both 2nd and 5th Panzer are not quite at full strength and overall, 40th Panzer does not have the supply advantages that most German units have to start the scenario with. In addition, there are some additional tanks placed in the German pool to start with in order to represent production not lost rebuilding the two divisions.

For some reason, I can't get the in game scenario description to appear, but the rest of it seems ok.

Enjoy!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DPRJ73LB
Post #: 1
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 12/23/2010 4:13:41 PM   
Mifune

I have some ideas that I am working on and this is a excellent idea. I like the historical feasibility that it could have happened.

Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 2
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 12/23/2010 11:36:54 PM   
Klydon

I can probably include this mod for the two smaller scenarios dealing with AGS if folks are interested. Not really sure what the community thoughts are on scenarios like this. 

(in reply to Mifune)
Post #: 3
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 12/31/2010 10:26:04 AM   
Rasputitsa

Thanks for this scenario, I played a similar variant for WIR and always thought that it was a mistake not making more use of mobile forces moving out of Romania, especially as they had been diverted into the Balkans for the Yugoslavian/Greek Campaign. It seems the quickest way to get them in action for Barbarossa and they open good strategic possibilities in the Dnieper bend.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 4
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 12/31/2010 10:37:25 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon
I can probably include this mod for the two smaller scenarios dealing with AGS if folks are interested. Not really sure what the community thoughts are on scenarios like this. 

It too early yet for me, as I am still learning the game and it may be some time before I can start a GC. However, I think I would like to create a scenario, more like the Marcks Plan, with more emphasis in Armee Group South. It would have at least an additional PZ Grp. allocated to AGS, with one, or two, Motorised Divs. in Romania, to speed the drive on the Dnieper Bend. Air and support units would need to be adjusted as well.

Initially I think that these changes work best in the GC, rather than the smaller scenarios, but it would change the balance in 'Road to Kiev' and be useful as a practice mission.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 5
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 12/31/2010 5:19:46 PM   
shane_056

Evening,
had a go at setting up this type of scenario as soon as I had bought the game (see part of thread below) but the hard coded freezing of units in rumania and southern poland for first 2 turns has got me to put this on the back burner till this freezing is removed as the lost two turns affects the strategy to much for this option to be fully explored, as the soviets have ample time to pull back from one encircling arm (the one out of poland) instead of having to contend with two encircling arms (one from poland and the other from rumania). Have done the redeployments and all set to go just need the freezing removed. Thanks ..shane

quote:

ORIGINAL: shane_056

I want to be able to use all the units available to armygroup south which includes all of the panzer and motorised divisions which were all there at the beginning but were kept in reserve as v.Kleist/Reichenau used a mixture of infantry and panzer units to begin with. In actual fact OKH actually proposed to Hitler to launch 11th army (it was going to 12th army to begin with, but could not be released in time from greece) from rumania right from the beginning with no time delay, with some motorised troops attached as well. It is a great what if, and a missed opportunity, as Kirponos the soviet commander was a competent commander and caused many casualties with the single envelopment arm strategy that the germans used instead of a two pronged encirclement, with the other prong coming from rumania.

This option of unfreezing everything needs to be provided the same as it is provided with the historical or not first move in Admirals Edition. Obviously I am severely limited in developing my alternate scenario as I cannot overcome the effects of hard wiring in the game engine.

Thanks ..shane_056

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 6
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 1/1/2011 4:35:57 AM   
Mifune

Too much hard coding throughout the game. Of which part you do not find out till you dive into the depths of modding the game and realize how your hands are tied. Even not having the option to start earlier in 1941 is aggravating. I don't feel like faking it with a "1942" start. Why do they feel compelled to design a game with only one vision to play one certain way. Didn't WitP show them anything. Sorry I had to vent I do enjoy the game, and changes will come about. Support has been excellent so far. I just wish it was a bit more flexible at the moment. I am a bit too frustrated with some design decisions and undocumented features. Everybody have a good New Years.

Perennial Remedial Student of the Mike Solli School of Economics. One day I might graduate.

(in reply to shane_056)
Post #: 7
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 1/1/2011 5:55:41 AM   
CarnageINC

I like the idea, it is a very good take on a different alternate history for the war.  I'll look into it, thanks for the effort.

(in reply to Mifune)
Post #: 8
RE: OKH Operation Barbarossa - 1/1/2011 5:09:32 PM   
Franklin Nimitz

Being able to specify a start date and year would help with doing a Poland '39 campaign, too, as well as other scenarios. I'd also like to be able to 'deselect' the opening surprise bonuses.

(in reply to Mifune)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> OKH Operation Barbarossa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI