For NOOBS: How to learn this game????

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

mantrain

For NOOBS: How to learn this game????

Post by mantrain »

Is the tutorial recommended? This may seem self-evident, however many tutorials not not "all that."

I printed the manual -- what a behemoth. Not sure where to start with dat manual.

I do not have much experience wG G., except with "WBTS." That is a great game Any comparison here?

THANKS
jomni

RE: For NOOBS: How to learn this game????

Post by jomni »

Play the tutorial.  It can get you going without reading the manual.
Then slowly ready the manual as you play.
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

Yep, just jump in.  After you play a bit and start having questions do searches in the forums because most if not all the questions have been asked once or twice.  Only the fine details can be a pain in the arse to figure out and if you must just ask in the forums any someone will help you out.  Good luck and have fun [;)]
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

OH, and check out the "war room" and look into Dlazov Operational Bootcamp for help too.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

I agree. Play the tutorial to get the basics then jump in. Play any scenario, including Grand Campaign if you wish. Put planes on IA controlled mode and enjoy pushing counters. You'll learn all the rest while playing and having fun. Sounds good no?
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Just be aware that if you start a GC as a noob, you will be starting it over again (several times) within a week :) So that's a big investment of time...
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
CarnageINC

Post by CarnageINC »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Just be aware that if you start a GC as a noob, you will be starting it over again (several times) within a week :) So that's a big investment of time...
[:D] Yes, very good advice Red! [:D]
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

The scenarios are a perfect step by step way to learn the game, 'Road to Minsk' a short 3 turns, is a good start. 'Road to Leningrad' and 'Road to Kiev' move you into larger and longer scenarios, when you are ready. Have the Manual open in another window , so that you can refer to it as you need. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

If you play the tutorial, read the tutorial manual!!
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

After the tutorial, I just jumped into a CG, played maybe ten turns, screwed up big time here and there, read the parts of the manual that pertained to the screwups, then started another CG on "easy." I'm up to late '42 in it and plan to go to perhaps early 1944. I want to get an idea how all the changes in forces impact the game (e.g., what happens when soviet arty divisions start pounding me). Then, I plan to start another CG on "normal" or "hard" with a lot more wisdom. Playing against the AI is a good way to learn the mechanics and let the details come in over time. For example, it took a while to "get" support units, then a few more turns to figure out the air game. The motor pool still has a few mysteries about it, but it's taking shape in my mind nicely.

So, I say, just jump in and have some fun. The AI doesn't laugh at you for screwing up.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

After the tutorial, play Road to Minsk at beginner till you get it down. Its a great little 3 turn scenario where you are forced to advance very quickly as the Germans and quickly assemble a defensive line as the Russians.

Play both sides while you read through the manual. I find going back and forth between the game and the manual is very helpful when trying to learn a complex game as opposed to reading the manual straight through and then trying to remember everything.

The game is very intuitive, IMO. You can learn a lot just by playing against the AI.
Neal_MLC

Post by Neal_MLC »

Read the manual, Play the game (tutorial first), visit the forums, repeat as often as needed. Do not try to take in all in with your first sitting as there is alot to this game. Oh, and ask questions when you visit the forums.

Enjoy!
no matter where you go, there you are
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

I'm fairly well along as a noob. The tutorial will only teach you the move/fight interface and a feel for how a turn goes. You'll need to move up to Road to Minsk and play it until you win decisively. Which, truth be told, I've not done yet but I'm playing Road to Smolensk now anyway. [8D]

Learn what those border colors mean as it pertains to subordinate units and supply range. VERY helpful and a key point I was missing in some of my earlier failures at Minsk.

Also, Shift-RightClick when you do airfield bombing and pick your air groups. The AI will freaking wear out your long range level bombers on short range targets that Stukas and 110's are capable of reaching. Then when you try to hit those deep airfields, you're sunk. I'm still testing both ways with recon missions to see if it is any better to have lots of planes or just use single groups. DetLvl 4 is about the best I ever get for recon behind enemy lines.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
matt3916

Post by matt3916 »

Re "DetLvl 4 is about the best I ever get for recon behind enemy lines."

See 16.3.2 "For non-air base units, air reconnaissance can raise detection levels up to a
maximum of four, depending on whether the unit is in clear or covered terrain. For air base
units, there is no limit to the DL that can be gained by air reconnaissance."
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Well....that would explain that.  [:D]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Practice, practice, practice ..

Play to learn, not to win!
As time goes by - you will earn your merits!
And patience, patience, patience ... [:)]
Swayin

Post by Swayin »

start with the tut, read applicable info in manual. Then on to Road to Minsk; keep manual handy for new items you will learn there. Then Road to Smolensk, IMHO, playing both sides. Each of these gets a bit bigger and more complex. When you can master these, on to the GC.
The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Well, I did it a bit different.

Started playing the tutorial scenario without any manual reading. Figured quite a bit out, but had a ton of questions.

Then read the entire on-line manual.

Then jumped into a CG.

For me, I hate small scenarios.

Regards,
Feltan
hgilmer3

Post by hgilmer3 »

ORIGINAL: Templer

Practice, practice, practice ..

Play to learn, not to win!
As time goes by - you will earn your merits!
And patience, patience, patience ... [:)]

Exactly. Play to a standard of your own that has been developed over the years. Make yourself the best player you can be regardless of victory or not. The victories will come if you have learned correctly.
KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.
trcanberra

Post by trcanberra »

ORIGINAL: mantrain

Is the tutorial recommended? This may seem self-evident, however many tutorials not not "all that."

I printed the manual -- what a behemoth. Not sure where to start with dat manual.

I do not have much experience wG G., except with "WBTS." That is a great game Any comparison here?

THANKS

Great advice above. I started by reading the tutorial manual while playing the scenario - think I have the basics OK. Will now move on through some other scenarios and browse the main manual as issues arise then waste a few months learning on a campaign.

Played War in the East (old multi-map boardgame) a lot and LOVING this [:D]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”