From: Zagreb, Croatia
ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison
WitP has been my 'monster' game for years now. Having enjoyed it so much, WitE has me interested. Have read a number of the AAR's, watched all the movies available and generally tried to get a handle on what the game is all about.
But, I have some questions from my WitP (and AE obviously ) experiences and am to a limited degree looking for input from the many WitP players in here playing WitE:
1. My first question is about the one week turns. Part of me feels like the grand campaign will be short due to lits limited length (~250 turns against ~2200 turns). But, much like WitP, its a *huge* game with plenty of units to go around. So my question is whether or not you feel like you are rushing to meet your objectives due to a lack of game length?
I dont mean rushing to beat the winter, or rushing to get things done before the Russians become a juggernaught. I mean do you feel like you have enough time to pull a division off the line to let it refit for a few turns? Do you feel like you have time to hunker down on a front and let your units rest for a few turns? Or do you feel like each turn is so long that leaving any unit unused for a single turn is a waste - regardless of its need to rest/refit? Do you feel like the movement and combat rates are proportational to the week turn?
2. Along those same lines, from what I can tell units obviously upgrade and change as the war moves on very similar to WitP. How long does it take in gametime for this to take affect? One turn? A couple of turns? Similar to the above question, I would hate to see a unit out of commision for 8 turns to refit. How about rebuilding destroyed units or severly damaged units? Can they be rebuilt? How long does it take generally?
3. From the menus I have seen, it would appear that you can change any units parent formation - ie. I can switch XX Division to YY Corps, and YY Corps to ZZ Army. Is that the case? Or are they locked in historical associations?
4. Russians control their industry, Germans dont. Is this an issue like it was in WitP? In other words, a savy Japanease player could pretty easily outpace the American plane production throughout the entire war which and never struggle for oil if they were good. Are there similar issues with WitE?
5. Speaking of industry, how much control does the player have over which replacements go to which unit? If I recall, you can put a unit into a state of 'refit'. Is there more control beyond this?
6. And lastly, we all love the land combat model in WitP . How are we doing with that in WitE?
Thats all I can think of for right now. Game looks very good - especially the artwork on the map and counters. Very clear, clean. Great work 2by3.
Thanks in advance
Chad - you will like WitE very much - I am quite sure!
It has been 21 months since I started my involvement with WitE (it was early ALPHA at that time ) and I still find it extremely interesting, fun and fascinating!
Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!
A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE