Matrix Games Forums

Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser TrailerDeal of the Week Alea Jacta Est
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 3:37:27 PM   
redmarkus4

OK. I was playing a MP game as the Axis against BigA but after I installed the 1.01 Beta my right-click to move feature stopped working properly. Some moves just wouldn't 'take'.

So, I am going to take Erik's advice and start a GC game vs. Soviet the AI, with the AI set to 110%. I'll be playing more slowly this time.

Firstly, Airfield attacks. I managed to get 4 AI phases out of the system by reducing the Air Doctrine values after each attack.

Attachment (1)

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.
Post #: 1
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 3:40:53 PM   
redmarkus4

One annoying game feature is the way that routed units can somehow leap 10 hexes and thus avoid being pocketed... That needs to be changed in my view. (Note - in the image below I have moved more Axis units after the bug out.)

TOP HAT 1812 says: "I was annoyed by this and the Hq's ability to seemingly "BUGOUT" and appear many hexes to the east. However,think about it,that is exactly what those units are doing displacing and routing away from the enemy. Usually the routed combat units have lost a good deal of men and equipment,not to mention loss of morale for the unit routing."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 12/14/2010 3:41:33 PM >

Managers read statistics and tune processes. Leaders interpret statistics and determine strategy.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 2
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 3:45:13 PM   
redmarkus4

First stage of Turn 1. AG North stands outside Riga (which has an NKVD Division) and AG Centre is before Minsk with a double pocket created.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 3
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 4:01:43 PM   
redmarkus4

In the south, I have broken the enemy's first line and am intent on pushing my panzers through to Tarnopol

Attachment (1)

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 4
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 4:38:09 PM   
redmarkus4

Start of Turn 2. The AI has abandoned Riga without a fight even though it was holding it with an NKVD division... :(

Attachment (1)

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 5
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 4:39:11 PM   
redmarkus4

Minsk has also been abandoned. This is with AI Morale set to 110%.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 6
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 4:42:19 PM   
redmarkus4

I fear that the 10-deep carpet of units behind the Dnepr is being formed again. AAR ends here.

The AI in the scenario I played yesterday (Kiev) was fantastic and behaved in a convincingly 'Soviet' manner. The GC AI seems to have issues. I'm sure it's very clever, but it's not providing me with a satisfying WW2 struggle.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 7
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 4:43:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
I fear that the 10-deep carpet of units behind the Dnepr is being formed again. AAR ends here.

The AI in the scenario I played yesterday (Kiev) was fantastic and behaved in a convincingly 'Soviet' manner. The GC AI seems to have issues. I'm sure it's very clever, but it's not providing me with a satisfying WW2 struggle.

If you don't play through the full scenario, I'm not sure you can really form final conclusions though? You've barely scratched the surface. There is a whole heck of a lot of play still to happen and a lot of it will no doubt give you a satisfying WW2 struggle.

It's your call obviously, I just hate to see you giving up on it so easily given what I know is still in store for you from my play experiences.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/14/2010 4:46:15 PM >

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to redmarkus4)
Post #: 8
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 4:47:39 PM   
ComradeP

Erik: realistically, we both know the AI is probably doing what redmarkus is saying or something similar.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 5:18:26 PM   
BigAnorak

@redmarkus: Please look at my Field Marshal Noob AAR, which was played on 110/100 for a full year. Is the 1942 front line that far from History? The AI evacuated Minsk in that game, and I think I captured Riga on turn 1.

The AI put the same "carpet" in place by Turn 6. It was gone by turn 9 and was never seen again.

What the AI is doing may not be what you expect, but it is a means to an end - to make it really hard to capture Moscow in 1941. How is that different from Stavka's objectives in 1941? The AI gave me a great game in that AAR and did some very historical moves. I think it was Andy and his ability to rip through Gary's AI defences that has seen the AI default to the "Sir Robin" approach. Andy used to be able to get to Moscow in 7 turns. I don't know if he can still do it. Imagine the howls of complaint if Moscow was falling on turn 7.

You are missing out on a lot of fun if you give up now.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 12/14/2010 5:30:59 PM >

(old version)It's only a game
(new version)Gary Grigsby's War in the East is not a game - it is a way of life!

War in the East Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 10
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 5:41:24 PM   
ComradeP

I don't think what the AI is doing is bad per se, but it tends to leave one area (SW Front's area in 1941, Caucasus in 1942) wide open, and will usually correct it after a while. I can see how that can reduce the fun you're having when playing against the AI.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to BigAnorak)
Post #: 11
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 5:52:28 PM   
PyleDriver

Not sure about that Peiter. In my 42 campaign game I'm on turn 11 and haven't taken Maikop yet...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 12
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 6:35:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

In my experience, you can crack a front and particularly in the South if you pocket enough forces it is possible to take Kiev quickly. However, more often than not in my tests I had to fight for it and in the cases where I saw the AI pull back there, it quickly reformed a new line and continued fighting. The AI has a tough job and making a tweak in one place can make it weak in other places.

My point is that while experiences will vary (and you guys have more than I do), as will preferences, I think the AI plays a game that is on the whole historical and challenging. I would rather see more AARs that get past the first year or two of the war before making conclusions about what may need adjusting.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 13
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 7:53:53 PM   
ComradeP

Jon, that's because Gary made the AI more aggressive after I reported that there were only some air bases between my spearhead and Baku as the AI evacuated the entire Caucasus to reinforce the north. This looks like the exact same issue, only a year earlier.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

Post #: 14
RE: New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI - 12/14/2010 9:09:36 PM   
alfonso

RedMarkus, I have one doubt. When you play the Soviets, how many reinforcements do you send to Riga and Minsk in your first turn?. And as of your critic of the poor "Sovietship" of the AI, what about changing the AirDoctrine of the Luftwaffe three times the same day? Is it very German?

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> New Player's GC AAR vs. Soviet AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI