Launcher and AE version 1106i

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dwbradley

Launcher and AE version 1106i

Post by dwbradley »

AE 1106i version has some changes to the map data and artwork files. If you are using Launcher (latest version 1.22) you will not get these changes after you run the Matrix installer.

I stumbled across this when I was upgrading my PBEM game to 1106i. I have concocted a utility (attached) which will fix the problem for Launcher users. My analysis of the differences (admittedly brief so far) is that they appear to be detail corrections here and there, mostly of road and rail lines with a few terrain changes. You might find it hard to find the differences unless you did a binary comparison of the files, which I did in order to get a feel for the scope of the changes and their possible interaction with the Launcher map dynamics. My conclusion was that there should be no serious problems in the interaction between 1106i and the Launcher. Because the Launcher uses map overlays generated using the old files it is possible that small art anomalies my appear. I have noted none so far in my PBEM game but that is hardly an extensive test.

To use the utility, unzip the attached files and drop the files (not the folder) into your Launcher folder. Please read the instructions before running the update.

If you are wondering if there will be an update to the Launcher, the answer is I would like to do that. I have been waiting for the revision cycle to reach a point where more revisions are unlikely or infrequent. My work with the map editor and my ongoing PBEM games have given me some ideas for improving the Launcher. Also, the current releases are not optimal from a user standpoint in that you have to install the first release and then use the updater to get to version 1.22. So this sound like a good project for 2011.

Note: If you use the Launcher in a from scratch situation, that is, a fresh installation from ground zero of both AE and the Launcher you will not need to use this utility.

If you have any questions or problems with the 1106i fix post here or PM me. Thanks.

Dave Bradley

edit: chenged the instructions to the latest version. sorry bout that. dB
Attachments
Launcher_1106i_fix.zip
(352.37 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”