Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nook Color vs Kindle DX

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Nook Color vs Kindle DX Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 2:47:49 AM   
sabre1

Ok,

So now which one is better?

The only downside I see to the Nook Color direct sunlight makes it difficult to read. Other than that it seems to be the clear winner in the ebook wars. Oh yeah, it does have a smaller screen size 7" IIRC.

So give me some opinions please.
Post #: 1
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 4:01:45 AM   
jomni

I guess you can ask yourself if you really want to read outdoors.
Also if you want ebooks, which store offers the best library and price?
I do not have experience with both products so I can't tell you which one I prefer.

< Message edited by jomni -- 12/13/2010 4:11:20 AM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 2
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 4:14:53 AM   
Hertston

Your 'downside' seems to me a total deal-breaker, although I suppose that depends on where you do your reading. Give me e-paper over a backlit screen any day in a dedicated reader. Something you might want to consider is battery life as well.. I'm guessing it's considerably shorter in the colour Nook?

< Message edited by Hertston -- 12/13/2010 4:18:08 AM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 3
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 6:41:51 AM   
gabeeg

My wife has the nook color and she can read it outside fine...but not sure if she has tried direct sunlight like at a beach or such...I doubt it would do well. She mostly reads at night and in darker areas like while I watch TV with little light or in bed and for that it is the only book reader to have. She loves the Nook Color.

I have no opinion as I currently dislike all ebooks...and retain a lewdite like love of paper books.

Edited: I corrected the word luddite above to appease my 3rd grade english teacher Mr. Brough. Shukran :)

< Message edited by gabeeg -- 12/13/2010 11:45:31 PM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 7:11:29 AM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: gabeeg
I have no opinion as I currently dislike all ebooks...and retain a ludite like love of paper books.

Perhaps, if you were a bit less of a luddite, you might use a spell-checker.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 5
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 12:41:08 PM   
sabre1

Thanks guys!

You are an eclectic fun bunch of grognards, luddites excluded.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 6
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 4:41:55 PM   
Zakhal

E-ink reader has way better battery life (months) and is easier for eyes. Choose kindle if youre reading mostly books/novels. Its superb in that role.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 7
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/13/2010 5:54:03 PM   
kentcol

Agree. I love my Kindle! Also, you can send them your game manuals and they convert them to Kindle format for free.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 8
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/14/2010 1:24:22 AM   
seydlitz

I bought my wife the Nook Color as did another poster above. I also bought the $14 anti-glare screen for it. It works well in sunlight and extremely well at night. She likes to read when we go on trips and having the dome light on in the car while I am driving bugs me. With the nook color, the back light was enough for her to read without the light being distracting. Regarding battery life, if you remember to turn the wifi off when you are not downloading, the battery life is fine. She used the device for eight solid hours during our recent trip and the battery was at about 20% when we arrived. That is pretty good for me.

I also transferred my WitE manual pdfs over to the nook color. Nice to be able to read the color manual in bed.

I think both machines are good and each person should make their own choice. My wife is happy with her choice and she had looked at all of them in detail.

(in reply to kentcol)
Post #: 9
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/14/2010 3:47:49 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: rober
why not get ipod or ipad?

Don't complicate the matter. Hehe. These are wonderful gadgets that do more than reading but the price is also more.
Disclaimer: I am an iPad user.
Post #: 10
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/14/2010 8:39:21 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Ok, So now which one is better?

Here goes:

1. The DX has a 9.7" screen so is more real screen estate important to you?

2. How long will Barnes and Noble be around? I sadly heard they were in financial trouble. Is this now old news?

3. Which company's e-store currently has greater access to the type of books that you like?

4. Most books are B&W, therefore is color really important to you?

5. Do both products run efficient download services to your area?

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 11
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/16/2010 6:18:05 AM   
seydlitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Ok, So now which one is better?

Here goes:

1. The DX has a 9.7" screen so is more real screen estate important to you?

2. How long will Barnes and Noble be around? I sadly heard they were in financial trouble. Is this now old news?

3. Which company's e-store currently has greater access to the type of books that you like?

4. Most books are B&W, therefore is color really important to you?

5. Do both products run efficient download services to your area?

1. Matter of user preference for certain

2. Even if they go bankrupt, their reader is open source. My wife regularly buys e-books from Barnes & Noble, Borders, and sometimes direct from the publishers themselves depending who has the best deal on a particular book. She didn't want the Kindle version because it looked like their book format was proprietary and she wanted to be able to choose who she bought a book from.

3. Amazon has a large library, but kindle is proprietary. Most of the other readers (Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) are open source and can read pretty much every format e-book except for Amazon's format. VHS vs. Betamax.

4. If color is not important to you, definitely get the black and white reader as they are cheaper. However, you can use the web to browse the internet, check webmail, read magazines, e-zines, color pdfs, and yes, color books. Face it, the world is in color and most future readers will also be color readers. Think back to the early PCs. Your choices were green screen, black/white, or orangish screen. All monotone. The only time we still see these might be at work where we have old machines in the warehouse or factory. Everything is in color these days.

5. Pretty much all readers are wi-fi enabled so as long as you can access a wireless network, you are in business. Some of the top end black and white readers are also 3G equipped. Essentially the 3G allows you to download at modem speed anywhere that you can get good cell phone access. However, the 3G link usually works only back to that company's website and nowhere else.

I will add that it is worth it to pick up the protection plan if you buy a reader. The one for the nook includes damage from drops, spills, etc.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 12
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/16/2010 11:23:27 AM   
kingwanabee

quote:

ORIGINAL: seydlitz

3. Amazon has a large library, but kindle is proprietary. Most of the other readers (Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) are open source and can read pretty much every format e-book except for Amazon's format. VHS vs. Betamax.

Is this true? Kindle will only let you read stuff purchased from Amazon?

(in reply to seydlitz)
Post #: 13
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/16/2010 1:29:04 PM   
hgilmer3

You can read PDFs on Kindle. As long as it is in PDF format, I think you are good to go.

As for the person who said you can get Kindle to convert your manuals. If the manual is a pdf, you don't even need them to convert them. Best to have the bigger Kindle, though, if you are going to read game manuals on the Kindle.

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to kingwanabee)
Post #: 14
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/16/2010 7:27:43 PM   
blastpop

I bought the Nook e-ink for my wife as a Christmas gift.

The color back light can and does cause eye fatigue. Something that my wife suffers from when she uses her computer. Also there is decreased battery life comparing e-ink to back lit products.

There is no right or wrong answer which to purchase, its a matter of needs and personal taste.

< Message edited by blastpop -- 12/16/2010 8:36:02 PM >

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 15
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 12/16/2010 7:59:58 PM   
David Heath

Just to jump in here guys my wife and I both have iPads and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I can read my books, comics etc no issues at all. I would say stick with the Wifi only version. I never use anything else.

David

(in reply to blastpop)
Post #: 16
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 1/10/2011 1:46:56 PM   
aaronwww

Hey Guys

I was considering an iPad but it was a bit out of my price range. I was looking for something around $250 and the Nook Color did not disappoint. It uses the same IPS display as the iPad though 7 inches. I am pretty happy with it especially after rooting....

Made a quick video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_eR8XaDnI

My review
http://www.ronviews.com/what-is-the-best-ereader-my-review-of-the-nook-color/

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 17
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 1/10/2011 2:45:05 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaronwww

Hey Guys

I was considering an iPad but it was a bit out of my price range. I was looking for something around $250 and the Nook Color did not disappoint. It uses the same IPS display as the iPad though 7 inches. I am pretty happy with it especially after rooting....

Made a quick video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ_eR8XaDnI

My review
http://www.ronviews.com/what-is-the-best-ereader-my-review-of-the-nook-color/

Interesting - how does it render graphic-heavy pdf files like, for instance, wargame manuals ? Matrix manuals and wargame PDF magazines like Battlegames look great on an iPad and are very readable, but I fear that a 7 inch screen will be too small

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to aaronwww)
Post #: 18
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 1/10/2011 3:41:06 PM   
hgilmer3

The WITE manual - I put it on my Kindle without needing to format it to Kindle (although that might have made it better).  I have the older smaller Kindle and I had a hard time trying to read it on that small of a screen.  If you have one of those magnifying glasses, it would work a lot better.

I like my Kindle, but maps and stuff have been very hard for me to look at.  I have D-Day by Anthony Beevor and the maps are almost unreadable for me which disappoints me because I love looking at maps that show where the action was and where they were headed.

If you get a Kindle, get the bigger one.

KurtC in the WITE PBEM module.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 19
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 1/10/2011 6:18:11 PM   
aaronwww

I downloaded this large game guide (http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=434424&high=pdf+download), it is 321 pages. Check out the video I just made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsABIu-DVNo

It comes down to preference I guess 10 inch vs 7 inch tho I prefer the more compact form factor of the Nook Color.

If you wanna know anything else about the Nook Color just let me know :)

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 20
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 1/11/2011 2:44:30 AM   
mbar

I just uploaded my Matrix light pdf manuals to my Nook. NICE. (E-ink version)

(in reply to aaronwww)
Post #: 21
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 10/30/2011 12:58:04 PM   
Sstevemichael

kindle is the best e-book reader and wonderful investment for avid readers (holds up to 3500 books), The device is small and light. With kindle we can read many book only with one device. regularry, kindle have three choise, ie kindle wifi, kindle wifi + 3g and kindle DX. More information visit : http://kindle-windows.blogspot.com/2011/07/kindle-wifi-review.html

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 22
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 10/30/2011 5:23:50 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 wifi is really neat. Although the Verizon 4g version might really be cool to have.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Sstevemichael)
Post #: 23
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 10/30/2011 7:30:55 PM   
Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Just to jump in here guys my wife and I both have iPads and I wouldn't trade them for the world. I can read my books, comics etc no issues at all. I would say stick with the Wifi only version. I never use anything else.

David

Can you download the Kindle Reader on the ipad?

Tony

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 24
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 10/30/2011 11:44:10 PM   
Challerain

I use the Kindle reader on my iPhone so I assume it will work on iPad.

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 25
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 10/31/2011 4:00:26 AM   
sabre1

JefferyH,

I was consdiering a Galaxy Tab 10.1 or whatever the new one is.

Thread got brought back to life by a spammer. I hate that when it happens.

Still hoping for a DX Kindle in color, or a Nook the same size. I have the new Nook touch screen eink version, and love it.

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 26
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 10/31/2011 3:58:32 PM   
Treale

I didn't even pay attention as to how old this thread is!!!

Tony

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 27
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 10/31/2011 10:18:05 PM   
cmurphy625

I have a Toshiba Thrive 10 inch.. got EZ PDF Reader and I love reading manuals on it.. page swipe works.. always goes back to the last page you were on when you re-open files.. Kindle software works great on it too..

I also have the smaller Kindle, and I still love that as well.. but only for reading books.. Reading PDF's it is too small and to slow.. For reading books it is easy on the eyes.. Can be read in sunlight..  very light.. and a just an all around great product for what it does..

(in reply to Treale)
Post #: 28
RE: Nook Color vs Kindle DX - 11/1/2011 8:24:26 AM   
Andrew Williams

I have a 7"android device

i have installed the Kindle Sofware and Adiko.

I can read just about any format of ebook even open source releases so no fee involved.

(in reply to cmurphy625)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Nook Color vs Kindle DX Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI