Matrix Games Forums

Happy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and SaluteLegends of War goes on sale!Piercing Fortress Europa Gets UpdatedBattle Academy Mega Pack is now availableClose Combat: Gateway to Caen Teaser Trailer
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Embankments question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Embankments question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Embankments question - 12/12/2010 2:48:15 PM   
Huib

Embankments don't seem to influence visibility? But they should, shouldn't they? (see page 160 of the manual)Or is the LOS tool a bit buggy? I hope the latter.

Any workaround methods to get realistic visibility with embankments? In a flat country such as Holland it is quite important that embankments such as levees and railway embankments obstruct visibility (and enhance when you're on top of them) . Attached a picture of "the Coffin" where I made the railway no less than 5 meters and the levee with the path in the north 4 metres above sea level. The surrounding area is 0 metres.

I could elevate it using the elevation levels as a last resort but I wonder what the embankments do in the game other than not obstructing visibility.

Huib

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Embankments question - 12/12/2010 10:08:54 PM   
Chief Rudiger

Is the road actually at z = 0m at the starting point of you LOS or has the higher ground layer to the East caused this area of the 0 elevation layer to be ramped up to meet the 10m (or whatever) level? If the start point of your LOS line was at or just above 4m it would make sense that there is a bit of defilade on the North side of the embankment.

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 2
RE: Embankments question - 12/12/2010 10:43:11 PM   
Arjuna

I just checked the code that manages line embankments and the height is definitely added in. I need to check the LOS code though.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Chief Rudiger)
Post #: 3
RE: Embankments question - 12/13/2010 11:05:06 AM   
Huib

If it works in the game that is very good news.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 4
RE: Embankments question - 12/19/2010 2:16:17 PM   
simovitch

Fixing the LOS code for the embankments has been on my wishlist since HTTR. While the embankments are coded for elevations in the map maker, sadly they have no effect in the game.

The scale of the game makes embankments a questionable feature in some ways though, but all in all it would be a nice touch to have them functional.

simovitch

(in reply to Huib)
Post #: 5
RE: Embankments question - 12/19/2010 4:31:12 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

The scale of the game makes embankments a questionable feature in some ways though, but all in all it would be a nice touch to have them functional.

Is this another case where the game "averages" the terrain in a grid and generates a composite result?

Are there cases in which the embankment is so dominant as to fulfill its purpose in terms of LOS?

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 6
RE: Embankments question - 12/19/2010 5:29:19 PM   
Huib

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

Fixing the LOS code for the embankments has been on my wishlist since HTTR. While the embankments are coded for elevations in the map maker, sadly they have no effect in the game.

In Holland embankments would be the only elevations in large parts of the country. Hence they are very important. However if one can work around it in designing by drawing a real elevation, it is not a big problem for me. Just needed to know if they didn't work or that the LOS tool didn't work. From what I read here, they don't work, so I'll have to change the main embankments for real elevations it seems.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Embankments question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI