Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 2:10:57 PM   
Anthropoid

Thought you guys might find this interesting and would be interested to hear what you think.

Just published in Computers in Human Behavior:

Cognitive-bias toward gaming-related words and disinhibition in World of Warcraft gamers

You won't be able to read the whole article unless you pay for the PDF or have an account on Elsevier, but at least the abstract and article outline are free.

http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/759/description

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 12/12/2010 2:49:04 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3
Post #: 1
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 3:46:45 PM   
Terminus

World of Borecraft...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 2
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 4:40:19 PM   
Anthropoid

Never did play it myself. Is it actually boring?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 5:23:08 PM   
sabre1

I have never played WOW. The only game I ever played and paid online was Air Warrior by the now long defunct GENIE / Aladdin days.

Interesting article. So the gist of it is they are addicts?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 4
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 6:18:04 PM   
cantona2

WoW is a good game, I quite like it but have not reinstalled it on new rig yet

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 5
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 7:12:15 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

I have never played WOW. The only game I ever played and paid online was Air Warrior by the now long defunct GENIE / Aladdin days.

Interesting article. So the gist of it is they are addicts?

Not exactly. They don't show lower academic performance or more depression or anxiety nor any difference in drinking or smoking.

Using two instruments for assessing problem drinking (the T-ACE and AUDIT) adapted by replacing references to drinking/alcohol with references to gaming/games, they found that the gamers had higher GAME-TACE and GAME-AUDIT scores, which suggests more psychological problems associated with excessive gaming.

Bunch of the folks who study addiction have noted that addicts to various things (alcohol, cigarettes, gambling) show "cognitive bias" toward symbols and signs representing the focus of their addiction. For example, recovering alcoholics show faster, and more accurate information processing of alcohol-related words, even though they also show general signs of slower and less accurate cognitive processing of words in general. Interventions that target the disruption/distraction of these implicit cognitive processes seem to work better than ones that do not.

This small study shows that WoW players show a similar pattern of faster and more accurate information processing of game-related words, suggesting that the same cognitive biases exist for excessive gaming. Doesn't mean they are gaming addicts, but it does suggest the broader salience of similar cognitive processes in a frequent habit that could have negative consequences and which does not involve any drug, monetary reward (e.g., gambling) or other 'visceral' reward (sex).

However, in contrast to the work with those suffering from recognized addictions, the WoW players actually seem to be cognitively "enhanced" in that they show faster, and more accurate information processing for general English words as well, albeit even greater for the WoW jargon.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 12/12/2010 9:04:10 PM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 6
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 7:14:59 PM   
Zakhal

I can easily notice the cognitive bias by reading wow-threads on gaming forums. Its hard to understand them because they use huge amount of wow-related words. The game itself comes with dictionary of wow-language.

I played the game myself two weeks. I noticed playing it more for the addiction than fun so I pulled the plug on that game. I generally try to avoid wasting life on addictions.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 12/12/2010 7:15:40 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 7
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 7:32:35 PM   
JudgeDredd

I play it from time to time - so do my kids. My kids mainly just create new characters, take them upa few levels then delete them and create different ones. I have a level 57 Druid. Bearing in mind I've had a WoW account for 3 years, and my original and only character is level 57, I think I can safely say I'm not addicted.

It's not boring to millions of people...clearly it will be for some. I don't find it boring, but I can't play it for any extended period of time because it can get samey...but coming back to it from time to time keeps it kind of fresh.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 8
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 8:14:42 PM   
Jevhaddah

I have a level 80 Tauren Hunter, but I let my account lapse in January.

Like JD I install WoW now and again and reactivate my account for a couple of months just to see whats happening in game.

I much prefer Everquest 1 though even with its dated graphics

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 9
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 9:01:47 PM   
Anthropoid

So you guys who play that game, would you say that you can see how, for whatever reasons, it would be "more" addictive than other types of games?

It is probably the single most "popular" (from a gross revenue standpoint) computer game of them all globally, and so it makes sense for research to focus on it either as the exemplar in certain ways or the exception in others. Just glancing at it, it seems (a) a bit TOO involving for my tastes (I like to be able to turn it off, and to the limited extent that I like MP games, PBEM is ideal for my tastes; (b) far too fantastic, i.e., not enough grim world of perilous adventure/seems like everyone is some kinda superhero; (c) seems a bit too cartoonish.

Makes me wonder if us wargamer/strategy gamer types would show enhanced cognitive function with words like:
tactical
armor piercing
caliber
airdrop
howitzer

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 10
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/12/2010 9:45:47 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
So you guys who play that game, would you say that you can see how, for whatever reasons, it would be "more" addictive than other types of games?

No - but then your listening to a guy that normally gives a game (any new game) a few weeks before it sits redundant on his PC.

Seriously I have no idea why anyone could be addicted to a computer game - but that's because I'm completely the other side of the fence. Alot of those people addicted to a specific game might wonder how the hell someone (like me) justifies putting a game down after a few plays. I have completed so few games, it makes me cross!

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 11
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 1:47:49 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

It is probably the single most "popular" (from a gross revenue standpoint) computer game of them all globally, and so it makes sense for research to focus on it either as the exemplar in certain ways or the exception in others. Just glancing at it, it seems (a) a bit TOO involving for my tastes (I like to be able to turn it off, and to the limited extent that I like MP games, PBEM is ideal for my tastes; (b) far too fantastic, i.e., not enough grim world of perilous adventure/seems like everyone is some kinda superhero; (c) seems a bit too cartoonish.

Makes me wonder if us wargamer/strategy gamer types would show enhanced cognitive function with words like:
tactical
armor piercing
caliber
airdrop
howitzer

Think of how many ways the two numbers "88" send your mind running in all sorts of directions.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 12
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 2:09:17 AM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: The guy addicted to game buying

Seriously I have no idea why anyone could be addicted to a computer game - but that's because I'm completely the other side of the fence. Alot of those people addicted to a specific game might wonder how the hell someone (like me) justifies putting a game down after a few plays. I have completed so few games, it makes me cross!

Hey, guy who's addicted to game buying... BUY! SALE! PC! MATRIX! STEAM! DIRECT-DOWNLOAD!
(aha.. I knew you'd react to those words *grin*)

(I'd hate to find out you had high blood pressure and I killed you with all the false excitement *sigh*)

("Looser" is the opposite of "tighter")

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 4:58:58 AM   
ilovestrategy

I think I'm qualified to make an opinion here. I've been playing MMO's(Massive Multiplayer Online) games for going on 12 years now and have played quite a few of them. The ones where I actually saw players that were the most addicted were the older MMOs like Ultima Online and Everquest where massive time sinks were required. In Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies I met people who said the game was "real" to them.

I think the people that are truly addicted to WoW are the very minority and are cannon fodder for the media and studies. I played WoW for 2 1/2 years and never saw the level that players were immersed like in the older MMOs.

For me, myself the games that I have trouble putting down are the "one more turn" turn based games. I don't play those if bed time is near. MMO's I never have a problem stopping for the night to go to bed. But those damn turn based games.......

Now, I have a question for the players here. Does anyone here have a problem stopping for the night with Matrix games? I had a hell of a time stopping with Gary Grigsby's World at War.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to E)
Post #: 14
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 9:43:50 AM   
jomni

What new things does this article say?
It is very obvious that fans of a game will show cognitive-bias to game-related words.
They need to know these to play the game right.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 15
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 10:42:47 AM   
Sheytan

I played WOW from game open until the first expansion and gave up on it. Frankly I had a blast playing it at the time.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 16
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 1:42:31 PM   
diablo1

quote:

Anything that is repetitive just so you can go up a level to do things that are repetitive just so you can go up a level to do things that are repetitive just so you can go up a level......

Get the point?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 17
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 1:54:25 PM   
diablo1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

No - but then your listening to a guy that normally gives a game (any new game) a few weeks before it sits redundant on his PC.

On the other hand also there are people who are addicted just to "buying" games. They buy every new game released and might play it although for a very short time and then move onto waiting for and buying the next supposedly great game to come out. I've seen a few of these types here and at the wargamer.

Myself I'm addicted to a deal or a sale and will buy many $5 or less games just cause they are $5 or less. I'm a little more conservative when they are $10 or more but now I'm so into getting deals and bargains I balk at games that cost $40-$50 and shocked and only see greed involved at games that cost $80 for sure. With todays pricing wars on computer games it's like the guy with gas for .19cents in the old days and the guy at the end of the block who thought his was worth .38cents. The only reason that guy sold his at .38 cents is because the lines were so long for those waiting on the .19cent gas and some people were just too impatient to wait. That too was back in a time when board wargames from Avalon Hill sold for $3.64

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 2:35:17 PM   
Lützow

quote:

Not for WoW, but I sorta was an EverQuest addict from 1999-2004, used to play 8h+ a day and even split up with my former spouse over this. In contradiction to normal video games, some MMO's come with a social aspect that can outshadow real life relations. Can't tell about 'cognitive bias', but those games have a certain terminology (gfg, ltg, oor, oom, obo, wtf, wru, anyone?) and playing with folks from all over the world helped me to enhance my language skills.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 19
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 2:37:26 PM   
JudgeDredd

Like I said Anthropoid - some people will find it boring...one of those could be you. On the other hand, you might find what millions of people have found...that it holds your attention. Or you could be like me and go back to it now and again which reinvigerates the game somewhat.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 20
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 2:41:22 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Depends on your point of view. I played it, got to level 80 and got fed up with it. The middle part was fun when (if) I was able to find a decent group. The mid-levels were more interesting, enoigh skills to play around with and a sense of progression that goes at the end.
OTOH it suffered (like many online games) from the same thing that made it fun, namely the other players (not the fault of the game really though). Want to go and do a difficult dungeon, well you can't unless you've already done it 15 times and have all the best gear. Once you've got all that stuff then it's just the same things every day, or start over and do it all again.

It was fun for a while, but I'd prefer to spend £30 once on Dragon Age than spend money every month to play WoW. There are free trials if you want to try it yourself, lots of downloading though...

Some people enjoy the effort of one more quest/raid to get that snazzy new sword. Others don't.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 21
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 5:10:36 PM   
carnifex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

I have a level 80 Tauren Hunter, but I let my account lapse in January.

Like JD I install WoW now and again and reactivate my account for a couple of months just to see whats happening in game.

I much prefer Everquest 1 though even with its dated graphics

Cheers

Jev

You can play Everquest for free and legally if you want to get some nostalgia on. Get details from the fine folks at Project 1999 http://www.project1999.org/forums/index.php

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 22
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 5:19:40 PM   
diablo1

The best MMO to get and play really is the Guild Wars series. You pay "once" for the 3 chapters and the expansion and then don't have to ever pay again. There's years of content to play through if you are a casual gamer. I'd suggest getting Nightfall first and play through it and build up all your heroes, then get Eyes of the North expansion and play that until you open up some more of your heroes and then you can dive into Factions and Prophecies. Soon everyone is going to be able to play with 7 heroes instead of just 4 heroes and 3 henches like it is now and that's going to open the game up even more to soloing which it has pretty much turned into since Nightfall came out. Too many players complained about having to play with others who were stupid and morons or griefers and they turned the Multiplayer game into a solo game. I like it because of all the skills and building my heroes to be super powerful and in sync with one another and myself. Four Discord Necros are pretty powerful as well as four Searing Flames Elementalists. Henchies can be pretty dumb and stay balled up with one another and you can't split them up like you can yourself and your 3 heroes. Once we get 7 heroes this will make many hard battles a lot easier to deal with. So if you want an MMO that isn't boring like those others and lots of action instead of sit & pull games like many of those others (EQ was the worst for sit & pull play), get Guild Wars Trilogy (was onsale a couple weeks ago for $19.99 on Steam) + expansion pak Eye of the North and you'll have years of fun.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 23
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 6:25:34 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

Anything that is repetitive just so you can go up a level to do things that are repetitive just so you can go up a level to do things that are repetitive just so you can go up a level......

Get the point?

I guess it depends where you come from. There are people playing WitP for years, while others can't get the hang on it.

In hindsight the endgame of EQ1 had similiarities with wargaming. If you were a grog with plenty of free time and made it into an uberguild, you got the whole content to your disposal and EQ could be pretty intriguing. And since you always brought your peers with you, it never got lonely.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 24
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/13/2010 6:28:41 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: carnifex

You can play Everquest for free and legally if you want to get some nostalgia on. Get details from the fine folks at Project 1999 http://www.project1999.org/forums/index.php

I got a planar geared level 50 toon on this server, but retired since raiding same targets every day became boring. Will consider a comeback once Kunark is live.

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 25
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/14/2010 3:50:13 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

Get the point?

Counter-pushing in WITE / TOAW can be repetitive.

In MMO, I don't think the draw is to do something repetitive. The draw is in the community and the possbility of making their mark. People will slave through the leveling-up just to make themselves known throught the MMO world. You can also make real money from it.

< Message edited by jomni -- 12/14/2010 3:52:32 AM >

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 26
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/14/2010 4:13:45 AM   
bairdlander

I know of people that were so into WoW they wouldnt leave there pc when playing and used "piss jugs" when they had to go

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 27
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/14/2010 4:32:34 AM   
sabre1

^ Oh, thank you so much for sharing that bit of information.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 28
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/14/2010 4:33:40 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Take a walk through the Blizzard Studios parking lot before you judge the game.

(in reply to bairdlander)
Post #: 29
RE: WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words - 12/14/2010 7:26:51 AM   
Sheytan

I actually enjoyed the commerce of the game quite a bit. I would buy gear in the auction hall and resell it. When twinking became all the rage my shaman would make a fortune twinking 1-14 tier battle ground kit with things like the Lifestealing on rogue weapons, heck id even farm those weapons at the keep that dropped those rare low level daggers. When I quit my Shaman had quite a bit of cashish on him.

What really killed the game for me was the new hamster wheels Blizzard kept inventing, plus I was never a "raider". I hated grinding instances for kit. In fact in all the years I played WOW I ran Molten core once...when the expansion came out with ALL the NEW hamster wheels I said "screw this" and cancelled.

The PVP and adventuring was fun until first expansion quite honestly. I believe it or not killed two pallys as a level 43 around Duskwood at one time. Both were higher levels then me. And frankly I loved Duskwood I had one hell of a blast harassing Alliance players there which would usually result in a call to arms to get rid of me, nothing like out maneauvering players on mounts in wolf form and ambushing them in the process.

Anyway excellent memories, if you recall seeing a fat ugly Orc named Two Toes with a clan tag of Stone Cold Killer, that was me.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> WoW players show Cognitive Bias to Game-Related Words Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI