The Editor Yet again ..How to free units up, CSV files & start a scenario from scratch

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

shane56

The Editor Yet again ..How to free units up, CSV files & start a scenario from scratch

Post by shane56 »

Yea I know this editor will be the death of me..
1] How do I free units up in an existing scenario so that they can be plotted from turn 1??.. Is there a super secret code that has to be entered somewhere for this. I am trying to edit the 41-45 scenario (with not much success) so that the 11th army and the rumanians start from turn one. I know that they waited a week, but in my revised scenario I want them to start from turn one along with all the other units in army group south. I should be able to build my own sceanario the way I want it to be.
2] How do we start a brand new scenario from scratch as I dont see an option for it in the editor.
3] Where are the CSV files as when I went to the CSV tab in the editor and tried to import them, it failed, so I checked the WitE directory in data/CSV and lo and behold it is empty, so what happened to them???

ALL I WANT TO DO IS MODIFY THE 41-45 SCENARIO TO HOW I WANT IT TO START AND THEN PLAY IT OUT MYSELF, IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK OF THE EDITOR!!!!!!!!

I think and I might be worng, but the problem with changing higher HQ's might be related to units not being free to move on turn one??

Thanks ..Shane_056
Apollo11

RE: The Editor Yet again ..How to free units up, CSV files & start a scenario from scratch

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: shane_056

1] How do I free units up in an existing scenario so that they can be plotted from turn 1??.. Is there a super secret code that has to be entered somewhere for this. I am trying to edit the 41-45 scenario (with not much success) so that the 11th army and the rumanians start from turn one. I know that they waited a week, but in my revised scenario I want them to start from turn one along with all the other units in army group south. I should be able to build my own sceanario the way I want it to be.
2] How do we start a brand new scenario from scratch as I dont see an option for it in the editor.
3] Where are the CSV files as when I went to the CSV tab in the editor and tried to import them, it failed, so I checked the WitE directory in data/CSV and lo and behold it is empty, so what happened to them???

ALL I WANT TO DO IS MODIFY THE 41-45 SCENARIO TO HOW I WANT IT TO START AND THEN PLAY IT OUT MYSELF, IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK OF THE EDITOR!!!!!!!!

I think and I might be worng, but the problem with changing higher HQ's might be related to units not being free to move on turn one??

Thanks ..Shane_056

I suggest that you place this question in appropriate "Scenario Design and Modding" so that it might not get lost in a clutter of main forum!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Great_Ajax

RE: The Editor Yet again ..How to free units up, CSV files & start a scenario from scratch

Post by Great_Ajax »

Take a deep breath and relax. I figured this out in a couple of weeks with Pavel as my tutor so you can learn this, it will just take some time. Once you learn it, its easy as pie. If you want, you can send a PM and I will give you my email so I can walk you through or post in the editor forums. I'm off for the next couple of weeks anyways.

1. Go to the map in your scenario, select the unit you want to unfreeze. Right click on the unit on the right side information panel to bring up the unit details. You will see a 'FREEZE FORMATION' button so click that. It will ask you how many turns so you want to freeze this unit. Just hit enter to clear out any delay and it will reset the unit and all sub-units to being usable on the first turn. This function will freeze/unfreeze all subordinate units if you use this function on a HQ. If you use it on any other unit, it will just impact that unit.

2. I just noticed that there is a new function in the MAIN tab called REMOVE UNITS but it doesn't seem to be working properly so I will talk to Pavel about that. What I would do, is load a scenario, go the MAIN tab and rename it to your new scenario under the SCENARIO NAME. Save the scenario. Go to the CSV tab and click the EXPORT TO CSV. When done, it will show SUCCESS when all of your files have been exported. Go to your game's /DAT/CSV folder and open up the SCENARIO NAME_unit.csv file. Delete all the unit data and replace all of the fields with a '0' in the spreadsheet but leave row 1 and save the file under the exact file name as when you loaded it. It is my understanding that you have to have some data in each field or the editor will crash when you try to save. You may get a warning about saving an incompatible file, select 'YES'. Go back to the editor under the CSV tab and IMPORT FROM CSV. You will get a SUCCESS when it works and the editor will crash if it doesn't.

3. See number 2

I don't have any problems changing a unit's higher headquarters in the UNITS tab. I just switched 11th Army's higher headquarters to Army Group North. Hope this helps.

Trey

Thanks ..Shane_056
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
shane56

Post by shane56 »

Thankyou for the reply, and yes I have already taken many deep breaths with this editor..
Did what you suggested left clicking a unit in rumania, then right clicking and clearing out the freeze pane, but it made absolutely no difference, as when I left the editor went into the game itself and loaded up the saved scenario, I was still unable to plot these units and the same warning message comes up when i try to change the higher HQ which say that it cannot be done to frozen or im-mobile units.
I am begginng to suspect that this 2 turn freeze is hard wired into the game engine ? and cannot be undone by even manipulating the CSV files, which I did yesterday by setting everthing to zero and still no change.
Would appreciate any help or coaching on this..
Thanks ..Shane_056
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Axis and Soviet units in the south for the scenario starting in june 1941 are frozen from the code (exact coordinates and dates should be listed in manual). So far you should move them south or choose another starting date. There are plans to make it optional.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
shane56

Post by shane56 »

I want to be able to use all the units available to armygroup south which includes all of the panzer and motorised divisions which were all there at the beginning but were kept in reserve as v.Kleist/Reichenau used a mixture of infantry and panzer units to begin with. In actual fact OKH actually proposed to Hitler to launch 11th army (it was going to 12th army to begin with, but could not be released in time from greece) from rumania right from the beginning with no time delay, with some motorised troops attached as well. It is a great what if, and a missed opportunity, as Kirponos the soviet commander was a competent commander and caused many casualties with the single envelopment arm strategy that the germans used instead of a two pronged encirclement, with the other prong coming from rumania.

This option of unfreezing everything needs to be provided the same as it is provided with the historical or not first move in Admirals Edition. Obviously I am severely limited in developing my alternate scenario as I cannot overcome the effects of hard wiring in the game engine.

Thanks ..shane_056
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

I agree. The more options we have in the editor, the more interesting scenarios we can see put out there. So much to do, so little time. Pavel is real good about incorporating suggested changes so we'll see.

Trey

I want to be able to use all the units available to armygroup south which includes all of the panzer and motorised divisions which were all there at the beginning but were kept in reserve as v.Kleist/Reichenau used a mixture of infantry and panzer units to begin with. In actual fact OKH actually proposed to Hitler to launch 11th army (it was going to 12th army to begin with, but could not be released in time from greece) from rumania right from the beginning with no time delay, with some motorised troops attached as well. It is a great what if, and a missed opportunity, as Kirponos the soviet commander was a competent commander and caused many casualties with the single envelopment arm strategy that the germans used instead of a two pronged encirclement, with the other prong coming from rumania.

This option of unfreezing everything needs to be provided the same as it is provided with the historical or not first move in Admirals Edition. Obviously I am severely limited in developing my alternate scenario as I cannot overcome the effects of hard wiring in the game engine.

Thanks ..shane_056
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

as far as i see, there are a workaround for unfreeze units, follow the given process, but just dont left blank once you click on the [ Freeze Unit ] function, input a zero "0" , i did it with 14th panzer korps and works perfectly,

hope it works too for all you,

with best regards,

Murat30.
There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.
shane56

Post by shane56 »

Thanks Murat30 for the reply, and I tried it on the slovak corps and it's two divisions but it was not successful, so this is a hard coded issue that needs to be changed as it is very limiting on scenario design.
Also was it your scenario 42-45 starting from 1941 positions, I loaded it up and for the first turn all units are frozen in rumania plus the slovak corps in southern poland, is this part of the scenario ?

Thanks ..shane_056
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

Thanks Murat30 for the reply, and I tried it on the slovak corps and it's two divisions but it was not successful, so this is a hard coded issue that needs to be changed as it is very limiting on scenario design.
Also was it your scenario 42-45 starting from 1941 positions, I loaded it up and for the first turn all units are frozen in rumania plus the slovak corps in southern poland, is this part of the scenario ?

Thanks ..shane_056

best greetings, i dont un-freeze the romania army group, but yes for the 14th panzer korps, in army group south, it works for me, the 14th panzer korps is for me able of attack from turn 01 onwards, i guess the team will fix it, the main purpose on my scenario is to give the germans the better start possible at hand and make out the first 1941 winter, starting in may, you avoid winter, and can form pockets in clear turns, and then reduce them in mud turns, the begining of june may see the germans on/around riga and/or minsk, however, the soviets still are powerfull, as his forces come greater each turn, sorry it dont work for you, maybe it only works with the 14th panzer korps in the editor, i too see the point of allow the romanian army group to start from turn 01, given that if the soviet make early commitment there, the axis will have troubles in the south, another workaround, however may be time-comsuming, is to replace the units in romania with another order of battle, new units, i mean, or just the 11st german army there, from the unit table editor, i are not sure it will work, but you may see in my scenario the example with the 14th panzer korps active,

have good gaming and best regards,

Murat30.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Starting in 1942 Germans won't have THE winter anyway, but at the same time Soviet are not affected by the first turn surprise. Could be interesting scenario :)
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
alaric318

Post by alaric318 »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Starting in 1942 Germans won't have THE winter anyway, but at the same time Soviet are not affected by the first turn surprise. Could be interesting scenario :)

thanks for say about it!, the best date to start is 24th april, as rules are by now, i hope a) no changes on the wheater settings or b) let the player or from the scenario editor make our own customization and "personalization" (?)., of the wheater rules, my only complain about the game is there will be much lesser action in winter turns, but still you have to manage the army, set to refit the units with more casualties, it is a game feature, and management for me is 50% of the fun, being combat the other 50%, but is just my point of view.

the 24th april gives one to one clear to mud turn, (then 29 may to june there are two clear turns, one more mud turn and then the summer, man, you can start in june from riga and minsk if you do right with the germans, on the other hand, the soviet will growth stronger faster, but is a biased, by me, point of view, i are playtesting with customized settings, 150% transport for both sides, logistics at 150% for the axis and 210% for the soviets and morale at 125% german for 115% soviets, the big impact/hit is the increase of soviet morale, what i mean, is, removing the forts and with soviets at 100% default morale setting, i guess i will be at riga and minsk in turn 007, (first week of june 42), i too changed to available rifle corps units for almost the begining (from september 42 default) what is sinergic with the 210% logistic's soviet's setting, but i think is the best chance of win with the germans.

i really like the game, aside i may be biased it is truth too, given i can say each campaign scenario may be taken as a stand-alone game, i see the sensible and deep key of detail and good-outstanding work the team have did in the design of the campaign scenarios, i really like campaign 41/42 and 43 scenarios, and have planned to make one mod of each set with my own concept of "perfect start".

about romania the only thing i may say is that really the romanian army is not that strong to make some difference overall, (2)- the 11st german army is badly needed in romania for off-set a potential russian south sector "over-rush" on romania (otherwise i will transfer 11st army to AGSouth), then, the option is to make some un-historical enhancement to army group south, maybe one extra -flavor- panzer group and one extra army with 3 or 4 corps.

and i will again failed to truth if i dont say this game is in my podium for 2010, i think i will keep happy and commited to it for some years to come, and is something i may not say about each game i purchase.

complains about balance or AI may be the same at all other "big" strategy or grand strategy games, balance all depends of the player experience+dexterity, so each of we will say different about balance, and the AI is pretty good with all variables in mind and game complexity, i really like as the soviet AI make a 3 row deep defense line, and dont make fool attacks.

and thanks for read the post and excuse my poor english, have my best regards and have good gaming,

Murat30.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”