Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

alfonso

Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk

Post by alfonso »

This is the situation at the beginning of German Turn 3. The Panzer troops are at the gates of Vitebsk and Mogilev (and this last city has just been evacuated by the Soviets...). The infantry elements of PanzerGruppen 2 and 3 lag well behind. Would be a good idea to temporaly motorize some of those infantry divisions in order to fill the gap with the forward panzer divisions? Besides, I do not know if trying to cross the Dnieper at Mogilev (I have to read the rules about river crossings), or driving the 2nd Panzer group north, to join forces with 3rd Panzer Group in the land-bridge between Vitebsk and Orsha, to try to reach Smolensk in turn 5. Anyway, I think that any advance beyond Smolensk would necessitate a railhead at Minsk, and I do not know how long that will take (it is near Vilnius right now)

My feeling is that it would have been wiser to attach some support elements to the PanzerDivisions in turn 1, because almost all their battles in Turn 2 have been far from HQ support. I move first the divisions, and, at the end of the turn, move the HQs. Is it better to try to move all more or less at the same time, stacking HQs with PanzerDivisions?

Attachments
SmolenskAfter2Turns.jpg
SmolenskAfter2Turns.jpg (302.91 KiB) Viewed 221 times
Flaviusx

RE: Alfonso vs Russian AI. Road to Smolensk

Post by Flaviusx »

Motorizing units is extremely expensive. You probably can afford maybe or three infantry divisions at most with the pool you have. You'll have to judge for yourself if this is a reasonable return for APs invested, but I'd say probably not.

WitE Alpha Tester
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Motorizing infantry is too expensive in terms of AP's and trucks used most of the time, but I guess you can afford to do it in the "Road to..." scenarios. In campaigns, it's a no-no in my opinion.

If possible, I'd advise to try and keep units in HQ range during the advance. First move a combat unit and then move the HQ up behind it. You can also place it in the same hex as the combat unit prior to an attack, although I would not advise keeping a HQ at the frontline at the end of a turn. Try to keep them somewhat to the rear, preferably stacked with a combat unit or at the least in a hex the enemy can't reach.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

And this is the situation after German Turn 3. Vitebsk and Mogilev have been liberated, Second Panzer Group has arrived at the Dnieper and after turning northwards it was able to punch the line Vitebsk-Orsha. 4th and 9th Army are slowly approaching. Army Group North protects the North Front. Some of its units have been removed, and more withdrawals are coming, so I have some Divisions in Army Group centre as reserve. I finally motorized one infantry division of Second Panzer group, it is now located SW from Minsk, ahead of 4th Army. Another motorization will be necessary to reach the front (I am assuming that the motorized state lasts only one turn). Another inf div from 2nd Panzer group was attached to 9th Army and transferred by rail.

It only took me 2 hours to complete the turn...[:)]

PD: I have just realized that I left 2 HQ naked in the south...already fixed...I am going to click F12....

Attachments
SmolenskAfterGerman3.jpg
SmolenskAfterGerman3.jpg (304.89 KiB) Viewed 221 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Nice AAR, but, I don't believe the Germans are allowed to use the word "liberating" in relation to Soviet cities. [;)]
WitE Alpha Tester
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Nice AAR, but, I don't believe the Germans are allowed to use the word "liberating" in relation to Soviet cities. [;)]

Hehe...just kidding...remember, in this scenario I am von Bock!!. Look, this is the Soviet AI response...Minsk is now at SP13 and Vitebsk at 44...time to Air Supply and hold on 1 turn. Do you think the penetration is wide enough?.

Attachments
AfterSoviet3rdTurn.jpg
AfterSoviet3rdTurn.jpg (308.94 KiB) Viewed 221 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

It's a little thin. Hard to say, because with FoW it's not clear what the Soviet has.

A few cavalry divisions could make your life miserable here.
WitE Alpha Tester
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I am doing a lot of Air Recon, but, what is the ideal density of Air Recon?. And if I see nothing in a hex when using Air Recon, can I safely assume that there is nothing in that hex?. What is the range of a Soviet Cavalry Div, more or less like the German one?
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Theoretically up to 22 hexes for all cavalry. (Soviet or otherwise.) Very unlikely they'll have that much, though. But they are surpisingly nimble units, more than the raw MPs indicate, they get some movement bonuses. I think you are okay for now though, because the big cavalry reinforcements come later. (Something like a half dozen divisions arrrive around turn 5.)

Not sure what the ideal density of air recon is; I fly mine up to its limits every turn, so I guess the answer to that question is: "as much as possible."
WitE Alpha Tester
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

This is the situation just before hitting F12. 4th and 9th Army are already around Minsk, and I have gained breathing space around Vitebsk with my Panzer Forces. Hopefully next turn or in Turn 6 I could surround Smolensk, after consolidating the Mogilev-Vitebsk line with Infantry Divisions.

I am very grateful to the comments made by....Rokossovsky himself!

Attachments
GermanT4.jpg
GermanT4.jpg (264.3 KiB) Viewed 221 times
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

In their 5th Turn, Germans have made slow advances...4th Army has taken positions previously held by 2nd PanzerGroup and the Infantry elements of 3rd PanzerGroup have taken positions previously controlled by panzer forces of their same Group. 9th Army has been used to fill some gaps. Germany is now at the gates of Smolensk. Security Divisions are now garrisoning rear cities to avoid partisan warfare.

Attachments
GermanT5.jpg
GermanT5.jpg (264.31 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Alfonso, you really are doing very nicely here. Nice job on keeping the panzer momentum up while waiting for the infantry to catch up. This is not easy to do in this scenario.

I notice you are taking a pass on the swamps north of Vitebsk. Having played the scenario many times from the Soviet end, I think that's the right way to go. That area is a deathtrap for the Germans. You'll want to eventually grab Velikie Luki, but probably from the rear.

WitE Alpha Tester
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Nice going, but if you are playing with FOW, be aware that this is about the time that Rokkosovsky launched his strong counterattack that flustered and delayed the Germans, prevented the encirclement of Smolensk and allowed the Smolensk defenders to leave the city and gear up for the defence of Moscow.

Henri
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Buff, it is becoming increasingly difficult. My troops swim in a sea of Red Army units, the MP penalties for moving inside EZOCs are freezing my advance. I have 4 of the 6 hexes around Smolensko, and I made a probing attack to the city itself, but it was defended by a rifle div trio with a combat value above 1000 (not 100, but 1000). I suppose they enjoy defense bonus of some kind...Minsk is now railhead. One of my FBD units was not working any more because it was not adjacent to the last portion of repaired railway (my fault). I have realized now that it is probably better to have them both work in tandem, and not one in the north and the other in the south. I also lost one HQ by NOOB MISTAKE nr 1 (moving first the division stacked with the HQ). 4th Army crossed the Dnieper, but I am beyond schedule now. My objective in the last 4 turns is surrounding Smolensko, and forcing it to surrender, and to try a final dash to Viazma

Attachments
GermanT6.jpg
GermanT6.jpg (301.82 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

You should be able to pocket Smolensk on turn 7 from what I can see. That means it will fall on turn 8 (let it starve for a turn.)

This leaves you with two turns to take other objectives, which is going to be kind of tight.

WitE Alpha Tester
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Questions: If a map counter displays 8=16, 8 is the attack CV and 16 the defensive CV? Or 8 is the raw defensive value and 16 is the defensive CV taking into account bonus (city, major rivers, forts, etc...?) . The Smolensk counter stack shown above shows a "defensive" value of X, is it because it is above 99?
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Turn 7: Finally Smolensk has been surrounded. I have discovered that OKH had plenty of artillery and support stuff, which would have been much more useful at the front than at Konigsberg. I also discovered that I have a nice 2nd Army sleeping in my rear probably since some turns ago. I am rail-transferring those divisions to Minsk, too late to be of much positive impact. I like to make my own air recon and transport missions, but I still do not know according to what criteria are plane groups shown as eligible (proximity, chain of command?). Time to go back to the manual.

Attachments
GermanT7.jpg
GermanT7.jpg (276.8 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Sorry to hear about the 2. Army. Missing those guys hurts, they could be up to the front line by now.
WitE Alpha Tester
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Turn 8: Smolensk falls, but my units are very low in fuel and high in fatigue. The issue is in doubt. Some units of 2nd Army arrive now near Vitebsk, to relieve 9th Army, which is going to be pushed towards Smolensk. 4th Army continues its useless fight across the Dnieper, no hope of reaching Gomel. Anyhow, this is being a wonderful learning experience!!. Two more turns and back to the beginning.

Attachments
GermanT8.jpg
GermanT8.jpg (273.74 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Enigma6584

Post by Enigma6584 »

Superb!  Very much enjoying this AAR!

Return to “After Action Reports”