Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Amphibious landings

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Amphibious landings Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Amphibious landings - 12/10/2010 9:43:11 PM   
dulsin2

I have had mixed results trying to land troops. In my most resent game I took three leaders gave them troops and parked them on transports off the coast.

On turn 2 one of my leaders gained initiative and I dropped him on Hilton Head Island off Port Royal.

In august 61 Baker 2-1-2 with a single infantry got amphibious initiative but he was not allowed to move onto Roanoke Island outside of Elizabeth city. He was allowed to land in Worcester MD or in Elizabeth city but not on the Island.

What is going on here?
Post #: 1
RE: Amphibious landings - 3/31/2011 11:36:27 AM   
swatter555

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of naval invasions.

First, all new players need to get a few concepts well under their control in order to successfully conduct naval invasions. You need the proper transports available, all the way from the launching port of the invasion to the intended invasion area. You do not park ground units off-shore before an invasion, that actually works against you (from my experience). When you look at your transports you see two numbers like this: 25/2. The first number is the normal transport points and the second is amphibious invasion points. Keep in mind that a normal infanrty unit requires 4 points of transport to move on the sea (for each area). In the example of 25/2, you could move 6 infantry units across the water in non-invasion movment (6 x 4 = 24).

You are always going to have to pay that transport cost whether we are talking about strategic movt or invasions. The difference with amphibious invasions in that the second number is used in the amphibious invasion area. At the amphibious invasion site you are going to need alot more transports. In the previous example of 6 infantry units, you will need the 24 regular movt for each area you pass through to the invasion area PLUS at the invasion area you will need 12 transport units (24 / 2 = 12). Also, make sure your line of transports is unbroken from point to point and that at each point you have enough transports to handle regular movement. For example, moving 8 infantry units requires 2 transports for regular movement through each area (that uses 36 of the 48 points).

Amphibious initiative: In my experience you will want an army commander to provide amphib initiative for the general you plan to conduct the invasion with at the point of embarkation. Once your commander has amphib initiative and enough transport exists from point to point, just send him in. Relying on an individual commander to gain initiative without the help of an AC is a hit or miss proposition. If your AC is out in the field, conducting amphib invasions is going to be tough.

(in reply to dulsin2)
Post #: 2
RE: Amphibious landings - 4/8/2011 2:27:31 AM   
Treefrog

Federal amphibious invasions are typically accomplished from a port containing an army commander within range of a theatre commander. Unless the Cheasepeake is blocked, the port is usually Washington D.C.

I never leave units bobbing up and down on transports in the ocean; sometimes the computer won't let me move them off !!

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to dulsin2)
Post #: 3
RE: Amphibious landings - 4/17/2011 4:44:54 PM   
jonboym

Yeah you don't want to leave units on ships at all. This is perhaps the biggest issue with an otherwise really polished game is that the amphibious side is a bit confusing. Shame the game doesn't prevent you leaving units on ships.

Also trying to replicate Grant and invade Kentucky after Paducah down the Cumberland/Tennessee Rivers isn't easy to do in this game, you thend to have to go overland through Bowling Green into Nashville to capture the state as the US.

(in reply to dulsin2)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Amphibious landings Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI