[Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

robske

[Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1

Post by robske »

Link to playthrough 1
Link to playthrough 2

Basically, this video shows me starting an empire in a quite hospitable map. I've been playing Distant Worlds since it had been released. I mostly play with the Sluken race, but now I went for a game with the Zenox :)

Constructive criticism is welcome!

PS: I recorded this with fraps, with the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

edit1: Added link to the second playthrough! Sorry for the msn popups!
Scifi 4X game geek...

The universe has its mysteries which can only be solved through the curiousity of intelligent life...

My lesson about life:
Keep the past in mind, act in the present, look to the future.
Igard

RE: [Video] Distant Worlds Playthrough 1

Post by Igard »

Awesome job, robske! I also used fraps to make my Archer era mod video. It took me a while to figure out you need the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

robske

Post by robske »

ORIGINAL: Igard

Awesome job, robske! I also used fraps to make my Archer era mod video. It took me a while to figure out you need the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

Ty! Basically, I'm planning on going strong straight from the start with this game. Hence that I build so many ships. It's a different approach then usually. Usually, I try to keep it peaceful in the beginning, and expand as much as I can. Here it will be a mix of expansion and military prowess.
Scifi 4X game geek...

The universe has its mysteries which can only be solved through the curiousity of intelligent life...

My lesson about life:
tegenAQR

Post by tegenAQR »

Hey robske,
great video! I was searching for this kind of videos on ytube but couldn't manage to find anything besides the videos from codeforce.
I know that your video is not ment to be for newcomers to the game (quite sure about that) but it would be even better if you would do your actions a bit slower. You say that your trying another strategy. Try to give more insight on that in your commentary. I'm sure it would improve your videos.

robske

Post by robske »

Thanks! The next video will be telling my strategy for this game!

I will also make my actions slower in the next one!

Thanks for the feedback!
Scifi 4X game geek...

My lesson about life:
Merker

Post by Merker »

Awesome dude, that's what I've been looking for for so long, thanks a lot. Now hopefully, it will also bring DW to light so that many more people can see it.

Cheers
Image[/img]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Robske,

Great job, I really enjoyed watching you play. My only suggestion for your next video would be to reduce the music volume a bit as in a few places it was hard to hear you through the music.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
s20dan

Post by s20dan »

Nice Video Rob!
 It took me a while to figure out you need the monitor aero desktop mode enabled!

Thats odd, you really shouldn't need Aero mode enabled to record a video....
Ok I havent actually tried this with DW, but I have never noticed this with Fraps recording any D3D application.
robske

Post by robske »

@Erik: Thanks! I will likely make a next playthrough tomorrow, and will process the suggestions in that.

@s20dan: Ty again [:)] The thing is that fraps is not compatible with how DW draws. It likely uses alternate directX libraries or GDI+ for drawing. Fraps only has a hook for the default DirectX libraries as far as I know. But I can never be sure. It's simply that I know this, since I've worked with GDI+ and a bit of directX (yes, I can code [:)]).

Expect the next video to be released tomorrow or sunday [:)]
Scifi 4X game geek...

My lesson about life:
robske

Post by robske »

Update: Added episode 2!
Scifi 4X game geek...

My lesson about life:
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Excellent video, Robske!

Which mods are you using? They look good.

I also noticed you upgrading ships one at a time on the Ship Design screen. Did you know that you can Shift-Click to select multiple ships and upgrade them all at the same time? Once I have my custom designs set, I often shift-click to select all the designs on that screen and use the Upgrade button to keep them up to date, until a new tech makes some redesign necessary.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
robske

Post by robske »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Excellent video, Robske!

Which mods are you using? They look good.

I also noticed you upgrading ships one at a time on the Ship Design screen. Did you know that you can Shift-Click to select multiple ships and upgrade them all at the same time? Once I have my custom designs set, I often shift-click to select all the designs on that screen and use the Upgrade button to keep them up to date, until a new tech makes some redesign necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

Hey, thanks! Would it be better to make a jump to wartime in the next playthrough, or continue with buildup?

Mods used: tm.asp?m=2443302

And thanks for the tip! I will use that next time!

Cheers,
Robske
Scifi 4X game geek...

My lesson about life:
Data

Post by Data »

more, more [&o]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
robske

Post by robske »

I will make more, just need a well-set-up DW:RotS game :) Or do you want one straight from the start again?
Scifi 4X game geek...

My lesson about life:
Data

Post by Data »

hmm, do i want to wait or get one straight way? now, now please :)
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
robske

Post by robske »

Video will be coming soon [:)]

Will be one straight from the start [:)]

Just very busy with setting up competitions for a certain game [;)]
Scifi 4X game geek...

My lesson about life:

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”