Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SS Units!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> SS Units! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SS Units! - 12/9/2010 6:15:37 PM   
Texican

Would be cool to have some SS units. Maybe they could have pros and cons, such as higher combat values and more resilience, but they might do unexpected undesirable stuff like ransack a town, eliminating its supply value, or causing a chance of Partisan units to pop up behind your lines. Even better, enemy units fight harder when they are backed into a corner and might surrender (i.e., don't want to surrender to the S.S.).

Maybe SS units are only allowed "elite" replacements, making them more expensive to keep in fighting shape.

Just some thoughts.

< Message edited by Texican -- 12/9/2010 8:07:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: SS Units! - 12/9/2010 8:53:13 PM   
ccsdc83

I would not mind the SS units, but I doubt they will make an appearance in stock form due to obvious reasons. Maybe modders will put them in if possible though.

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 2
RE: SS Units! - 12/10/2010 12:04:00 AM   
TR

Wouldn't this be already simulated by the player. What I mean is, SS units were superior because they got the cream of the recruits and were the first to be reinforced. All you really need is the ability to designate a unit as SS or elite and/or to change the name of the unit. After that, either you or the game (whoever controls the replacement intake) do whatever needs to be done to keep the unit intact.

Anyway, just my humble opinion.

(in reply to ccsdc83)
Post #: 3
RE: SS Units! - 12/10/2010 7:40:09 AM   
Lord Zimoa

quote:

All you really need is the ability to designate a unit as SS or elite and/or to change the name of the unit.

This feature is in the game, just rename your best equipped units into whatever you like as an Elite unit. For obvious juridical, commercial and marketing reasons we cannot include any SS or Nazi symbols into the game, as we sell worldwide.

But I have no doubt the fan community will have a small modification out in no time, who are not bound to certain rules.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

www.thelordzgamesstudio.com
www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to TR)
Post #: 4
RE: SS Units! - 12/10/2010 5:28:14 PM   
Lukas

Battlefield Academy has "Waffen SS" infantry units, so I think we can have units named "2nd SS Das Reich" at the start of certain campaigns? Probably not "1st SS Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler", but we need to abbreviate such a long name anyway, like "1st SS LAH".

Not saying that we will, but I think that's allowed "within the rules" (which I can't help but think are silly).

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 5
RE: SS Units! - 12/10/2010 5:48:08 PM   
Lord Zimoa

Only symbols are taken into account, so 1st SS Panzer Div. LAH and such should be no problem.

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to Lukas)
Post #: 6
RE: SS Units! - 12/19/2010 10:06:46 PM   
dsawan

I agree. they shd have some special features. "Maybe they could have pros and cons, such as higher combat values and more resilience, but they might do unexpected undesirable stuff like ransack a town, eliminating its supply value, or causing a chance of Partisan units to pop up behind your lines. Even better, enemy units fight harder when they are backed into a corner and might surrender (i.e., don't want to surrender to the S.S.). "

This would give the Axis player some benefit and spice the game a little.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 7
RE: SS Units! - 12/20/2010 2:38:53 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

Battlefield Academy has "Waffen SS" infantry units

I somehow felt those units performed under-rated considering the prestige of their name. However, for play balance purposes, I felt it was fine. Only problem I disliked in that game was how opportunity fire worked.

Anyhow, please add an SS-Tiger unit, those are always my favourites. (Kings would be preferred :P)

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to dsawan)
Post #: 8
RE: SS Units! - 12/22/2010 3:31:13 PM   
Texican

Conversely, when they get an "Allied Armored Corps" version of the game out, there could be "Guards" units.

Again, I think any elite unit should be stronger, but have some negative that goes with it, and primarily that "negative" would be requiring ONLY elite replacements, thereby making those units expensive to maintain.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 9
RE: SS Units! - 12/22/2010 3:47:33 PM   
Obsolete

In Battle Field Academy the counter unit to the SS-Waffen I believe was the US Airborne.  I think it was as close to a mirror unit as possible (at least game wise). That one was supposed to be a more elite unit than the standard troops you'd get with the US (which is historically accurate). Also, on the darker side, the US Airborne were notorius for warcrimes, so again we have a bit of a mirror unit.

However, having an elite Sherman unit, just doesn't seem to.... how do I say this.... come across many fans very well.

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 10
RE: SS Units! - 12/22/2010 3:58:06 PM   
junk2drive

BBC BA also has US Rangers.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 11
RE: SS Units! - 12/26/2010 11:27:23 PM   
LitFuel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

quote:

All you really need is the ability to designate a unit as SS or elite and/or to change the name of the unit.

This feature is in the game, just rename your best equipped units into whatever you like as an Elite unit. For obvious juridical, commercial and marketing reasons we cannot include any SS or Nazi symbols into the game, as we sell worldwide.

But I have no doubt the fan community will have a small modification out in no time, who are not bound to certain rules.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

Always thought this was BS...sell different "censored" versions to those countries (Germany) that have a problem with the symbols then. I never understood how pretending it didn't happen is a good thing. It's history and seems almost as though we get rid of the symbol and we can pretend the holocaust didn't happen sort of thing. I'm sure Germany is hoping we'll all forget after another 50 years of no symbol

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 12
RE: SS Units! - 12/27/2010 12:01:02 AM   
Obsolete

It is a bit of a hassle to make a SEPARAT version, just so sales can go on in Germany (not sure how much market share they make up total of sales). Ironically, Firaxis couldn't ship Hitler in Civ IV to Germany, so they dropped that option and instead switched the leader to Stalin (a large murderer). Yet suddenly that was all ok now (except some Ruskies may have raised some eyebrows). So, lesson to be learned governments & people are hypocrites. Yes, not just the U.S. but just about everywhere else too.

Speaking of, I remember way back when I got into the Civil War General series. It wasn't until I started playing sierra set, that I suddenly found out that many people in the U.S. get absolutely irate at the Confederate flag. Now, I may not be a fan of slavery, but does that mean I'm supposed to feel guilty now every time I take over R. E. Lee's armies? It's a HISTORY GAME... And it's not that the North Americans were any angles either, that is for sure.

I can't help but notice in CWGII they dropped the Robert E. Lee title altogether, and instead focused on a more mixed or pro-Northern perspective. I suppose the topic discussed may have had some reason for this..

But alas... even at the Civil War reinactments there seems to be growing protests as of late...(it is just a re-inactment people!) it's an issue that's over a hundred years old, and seems it still causes quite a stir. Politicians don't even like to touch that one..

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 13
RE: SS Units! - 12/27/2010 12:50:39 AM   
Lukas

Couldn't agree more. History is full or horrible war crimes dating back from the stone age, yet it's ok to feature all this in games, but SS symbols? Oh no! Wargames shouldn't be turned into political platforms.
Anyway it's not our decision, and considering how hypocritical people can be I fully understand Slitherine is very weary about "nazi associations". We have the correct German WW2 warflag icons for the game laying around, and I think we can release them "unofficialy" as a sort of mod for those who dislike the "fantasy flag" with the german cross.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 14
RE: SS Units! - 1/21/2011 3:25:50 PM   
apathetic lurker

quote:

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

quote:

quote:

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

Always thought this was BS...sell different "censored" versions to those countries (Germany) that have a problem with the symbols then. I never understood how pretending it didn't happen is a good thing. It's history and seems almost as though we get rid of the symbol and we can pretend the holocaust didn't happen sort of thing. I'm sure Germany is hoping we'll all forget after another 50 years of no symbol

Sadly with the way the educational system is thats bound to happen sooner rather than later....My daughters school just glosses over the stuff that didnt involve the USA in WW2..And its one of the better schools here.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 15
RE: SS Units! - 1/21/2011 8:48:50 PM   
doomtrader

As far as I know the King Tigers very often perform much more poorer than 'regular' Tigers.

This was caused by supply problems that Germany has in the late war (since 1944).

Of course on the paper Tiger II was better than I, but the poor quality makes them much more vulnerable to enemy AT fire.

I'm not an expert, just my two cents about what I have heard.

(in reply to apathetic lurker)
Post #: 16
RE: SS Units! - 1/21/2011 11:30:20 PM   
Jestre

All of the shortcomings of the Tiger II that I am aware of were logistical. They were too heavy for many bridges, were awful on fuel and were difficult to move in a fluid situation in addition to breakdown problems. In combat they were unparalleled. The Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 503 claimed approximately 500 kills in the period from January to April 1945 while losing 45 Tiger IIs (most of which were abandoned and destroyed by their own crews after mechanical breakdowns or lack of fuel).

< Message edited by Jestre -- 1/21/2011 11:40:17 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 17
RE: SS Units! - 3/15/2011 7:11:42 PM   
Lord Zimoa

Surprise. ;-)

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to Jestre)
Post #: 18
RE: SS Units! - 3/15/2011 7:37:15 PM   
ccsdc83

Nice Panther there....the artwork for the surrounding fields, houses, etc look really nice next to that I assume city objective.
I like the different values for the tank as well. You know that I have played Panzer General way to much when you already know what the symbols mean
Keep up the good work we are waiting for this excellent title.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 19
RE: SS Units! - 6/1/2011 11:11:49 PM   
phcas

Hi,

Some questions

We can see a screenshot of a SS Panther of "Das Reich" and see a unit sign in the place of the country sign. I think it is done very nice. What will we see back of this in the game?

*Can we purchase units with Division/Batallion signs and names like Grossdeutschland or Das Reich?

*If so, will the Allied side have this option also?

*Are SS units (cammoflage) like on the screenshot realy in the game? If so, Infantry? Tanks?

*What about the future plans. Will PanzerCorps get a "Allied General" brother in time? Modern General?

*Will it realy be 15 june........

Last thing to say. I think it is not to realistic to let the (Opel)trucks or Sdkfz 251 halftracks tow all the heavy artillery. The Sdkfz 7, 8 or 9 prime mover will do better. A Sdkfz 7 towing a 88mm Flak 18 gun is what the historical pictures are showing us.

I am looking very much forward to this game, thanks for making it.

Greetings Caspar

(in reply to ccsdc83)
Post #: 20
RE: SS Units! - 6/2/2011 10:47:28 AM   
Lord Zimoa

quote:

*Can we purchase units with Division/Batallion signs and names like Grossdeutschland or Das Reich?

>>> Waffen-SS units are bonuses you can earn, I believe the maximum is 3 in a scenario, next build tomorrow will have them for the first time, but the art was done a few months ago. They are named, but in the game you can rename any unit anyway to your own liking.

quote:

*If so, will the Allied side have this option also?

>>> Allies have them e.g. Russians have Guard Units.

quote:

*Are SS units (cammoflage) like on the screenshot realy in the game? If so, Infantry? Tanks?

>>> They are the only units using camouflage, so you will recognize them easily. There are Waffen-SS Gebirgjager, Waffen-SS Infantry and Waffen-SS Panzers.

quote:

*What about the future plans. Will PanzerCorps get a "Allied General" brother in time? Modern General?

>>> We see Panzer Corps as a series, so yes Panzer Corps: Africa, Panzer Corps: Allied, Panzer Corps: Pacific, all sounds possible. :-)

quote:

*Will it realy be 15 june........

>>> We are releasing a Release Candidate this weekend, depending on testing, bugs, stability and polishing time, that one should become Gold, if it needs another 2,3,4 or 5 weeks we take the time that is needed, but the game is very close.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

< Message edited by Lord Zimoa -- 6/2/2011 10:50:48 AM >

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to phcas)
Post #: 21
RE: SS Units! - 6/2/2011 11:50:21 AM   
ccsdc83

Panzer Corps Africa sounds splendid...large desert tank battles perhaps...and Panzer Corp Pacific sounds like a lot of ships at sea

Has the testing been extensive for the online portion? I like going against the AI enough, but real players from around the world is even better.

Also I know one image of the scenario / map editor has been released in one of the new articles, but will it ship day one with PC?

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 22
RE: SS Units! - 6/2/2011 4:13:37 PM   
Lord Zimoa

The PBEM++ is the same used by FOG and BA, so pretty solid. MP will be a lot of fun and easy to use.

The full editor will be shipped right from the start, it is the same we use ourselves, so happy modding!

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to ccsdc83)
Post #: 23
RE: SS Units! - 6/3/2011 5:22:50 PM   
phcas

Hello again,

Thanks Tim aka LZ for the anwsers. [image][/image]

I am from the Netherlands so maybe you can tell me something more about the Dutch/Netherlands 1940 units in the game. I know it didn't play a roll in the PG series becausse "Fall Gelb" was there about Belgium and France. The only Dutch city was "Maastricht" I believe. As far as I can see on screenshots Panzer Corps "Fall Gelb" is also more about Belgium and France

I hope I can make (edit) a scenario about the Dutch/German May 1940 war. It was only a 5 day war but can be intresting becausse of it para/airborne landings.

Anyway, what about the Dutch units?

*Are there Dutch aircraft? (Fokker D-XXI, G-I, C-V, C-X, T-V)

*Are there Dutch armored cars? (M-36, M-38, M39)

*Are there Dutch bunkers/strongpoints?

*Is it possible to use Waffen-SS or Allied elite units in the editor?

*What is the max of the size of a map in the editor?

*What is the max of the number of units in the editor for a scenario?

Thanks, Greetings Caspar

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 24
RE: SS Units! - 6/3/2011 7:16:44 PM   
Lord Zimoa

Well, we have some Dutch units in The Low Countries, but more likely they are limited to infantry and maybe a few generic Artillery units. Not realy focused on them, maybe something we can do for Panzer Corps: Allied. :-)

All units are shown in the editor, Waffen-SS included.

Max size of maps in the editor and the same for max number, there is no hard limit in the code, but beware tremendous outrageous huge maps with thousands of units can have all kind of problems...

Try it at your own risk!

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to phcas)
Post #: 25
RE: SS Units! - 6/3/2011 7:23:52 PM   
ccsdc83

I should have asked this a few posts back, but it slipped my mind at the time.

Is the Editor easy for newcomers with no experience at all with it? I hope to jump right in to it if possible.

I know the release is still a little bit off, but will you be releasing the system requirements right before it ships? I think we all know here that it's not going to much of a resource hog, but want to pass on those requirements to some friends that I am keeping posted on this game.

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 26
RE: SS Units! - 6/3/2011 7:32:15 PM   
Lord Zimoa

Unofficial and off-the-record on a personal estimation. LOL

Minimum Spec

CPU: Pentium 4 or equivalent

RAM: 1GB RAM (XP) or 2GB RAM (Vista/7)

VIDEO: 64Mb video card

HDD: 500Mb

SCREEN: 600 pixels high

MOUSE and INTERNET CONNECTION for multiplayer

CD or DVD Drive (not required for the digital version)

Recommended Spec

RAM: 2GB RAM or more

VIDEO: 128Mb video card or more

SCREEN: 768 pixels high or more

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to ccsdc83)
Post #: 27
RE: SS Units! - 6/3/2011 7:34:31 PM   
Lord Zimoa

quote:

Is the Editor easy for newcomers with no experience at all with it? I hope to jump right in to it if possible

Yes, if you invest 15 minutes to experiment a bit, it is not really that hard.

www.panzer-corps.com
www.commander-games.com

(in reply to Lord Zimoa)
Post #: 28
RE: SS Units! - 6/25/2011 9:08:30 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

quote:

quote:

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ

That's a great theory. In actual fact the German government outlaws the symbols to keep them from becoming a rallying point in the present and future.

A similar issue is slowly taking place here in the US with the symbol of the Confederate battle flag. It's the symbol itself that's the issue.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 29
RE: SS Units! - 6/25/2011 11:13:17 PM   
HansHafen

The confederate battle flag will never be subjected to the same bans as the Nazi symbols. I think they will be lucky just to get it off of state buildings, much less all the car bumpers etc.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> SS Units! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI