Nowadays you do it more like this
1) Setting to fly first turn to 5 or 10%
Ground support to 0%
Ground support escort to 300% highest possible
General ground support to yes
2)Take a look at your fighter force or airforce in general
3)There are 5 or 6 airfilds rather far away a) from the front and b) from their headquarters. Move the units more to the front or the HQ to the units, at least bring the units in 5 hex distant to HQ.
4)Scout the map and the frontnear airfields till info everywhere is visible.
5)Start with the ground attack, usually in the north.
While your infantry advances your fighters will turtle shot the red air force. If you came close to an airfield stop your advance and move on in direction or sector of an other airfield. Do this over the whole map. Direct your advance to a point that you can overrun all frontnear airfields , but dont do it right now. Do all possible infantry fighting before overrunning any airfield.
6)Take annother look at your fighter force. You have shot down 500 to 700 sov airplanes right now for only few losses.
7)Now start the airfield bombing, setting both on 100 or above. Start with the frontnear airports, use Do117, Ju87, Me 110 and Me 109, simply all what is not He 111 or Ju 88. Do all out attacks.
If you click on an Tac bomber airfield you will have them on the screen together with all fighters in range.
Bomb only if the prey is plentyful and use all what you have. Some of the sov airfields only have halve of the original aircraft on duty by now. These you devastate normally in one single blow.
Repeat that with all airfields you can reach by tac bombers, Do 117 and the fighters.
8)If an airfild is down to 20 or 30 planes it is no more an good target. So the next part is overrun that airfields.
9) Now move if you can your fighters over the former border, not more than 5 hexes so, but still in command range, Cr is very important.
10) Now its time for your high altitude bombers, they should not have a single mile flown by now.
Pick the red airfields that you can reach with escort fighters first. If the target is 150 to 300 plane strong one again do all out attacks.
The open field airports are generally a better target, that those in citys, may be even dislodge city airports by overrunning first.
11) Now take the middle range away airfields, prefer the Bomber fields, that you can reach with your escort fighters. Prefer the fields your Panzers will overrun later.
12) Do the bombing in Kishinev and whatever you can reach fron Rumanian soil, till no flying mile is more availible.
13) Overun the airfilds with your tanks as it comes.
14) Refuel some panzercorps, a little is possible even in first turn.
15) Look at your commanders screen and to the death toll. Experience is high, Moral is high, even Ju87 should still have not less than 75 moral. If you do less than 3500 sov plane after first turn is over you still can make it better.
OR if that is to much detail play for you and you prefer lightning airstrike first tactik at least place your airfields in command range befor flying, so that your " My Ju87 are so useless, moral is downs to 40, sniff" days are over. That Ju 87 are later in game turn 2+ passable night bombers btw.
Enough for today
I have tried it and the soviets get far less casualties (around 2900 vs almost 4000) and I get more (135 vs 56). Oh, and, I dont know why, my fighter units get almost as many casualties as the soviet ones when they fight each other in ground support battles.
I guess some things have changed how air warfare works since you wrote that post.