No Computer vs Computer in DAG games?

Based on Slitherine’s popular tabletop wargaming system by the same name, Field of Glory now comes to the PC in a faithful adaptation of this acclaimed miniatures wargame! Without the calculations and measurements required for a tabletop game of Field of Glory, the PC version accurately represents Ancient and Medieval combat where you make the important and fun decisions on the battlefield. This forum also supports the Rise of Rome, Storm of Arrows and Immortal Fire expansions to Field of Glory.
diablo1

No Computer vs Computer in DAG games?

Post by diablo1 »

I just got Immortal Fire for the DAG feature and first thing I noticed is I can't pit two armies I created against each other and watch how they fight it out computer vs computer? What kind of crapola is this? The origional game you can set the battle to be computer vs computer. So this is a ripoff not being able to continue to do that with the expansions.
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
IainMcNeil

RE: No Computer vs Computer in DAG games?

Post by IainMcNeil »

You've never been able to do this with DAG armies. To be honest it was not something we ever imagined there being a demand for and the only reason we had AI vs AI was for testing not for gamers.

The issue is the system isnt designed for 2 DAg armies from the same system. It is the same reason you can't do hotsteat multiplayer DAG games. If there was enough demand we could look in to it but it feels like something only a tiny minority are likely to ever use and I've never heard anyone mention it before :) It feels like time could be much better used on other more interesting features.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

Well I like to watch my armies fight it out amongst one another. I've done this with many games that allow the ai to fight itself. I like to design armies and then see which one wins vs the other. Of course this is real popular in baseball sims as you build up a team and then let the ai play out the seasons. It's also a good teaching tool for beginners as they can watch various army structures fight it out and see what has the upper hand vs other types.

Weren't you the ones who made "Spartan"?? Did not ALL BATTLES have the AI vs the AI?
X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

If there is big demand we can look in to how much work it woudl be but so far you're the first who has mentioned it.

Yes we made Spartan but the battles resolved automatically - there is no decision point for theplayer so it is a completely different engine and has nothing in common with FoG - not a single line of code. Well not in the released game anyway, only in a special debug mode for testing.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

Well it just seems strange you would include one thing in the base game "computer vs computer" and not allow it or include it with expansion paks for the very same base game. That's the point I'm bringing up. Most of your other games from Legion to Troy have AI vs AI battles. The player builds his army and the AI fights the battles out automatically and with graphics. I don't see that much disimular from FOG except that FOG has no campaign game but does have "computer vs computer" in the base game.
saintsup

Post by saintsup »

I'm interested in a DAG vs DAG hotseat mod to play with my son.
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

See you have another interested in something more besides online multiplayer or playing against the computer. Where there is 1 there are 10 and where there are 10 there are 100 and where there are 100 there are 1000 and where there are 1000 there are hundreds of thousands we're just the representatives of the masses. [:)]
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I too would like to see Hotseat battles for the dag, as for AI vs Ai? Notsure i would ever use such a thing, not really sure how much tactical info you could gather by watching the ai duke it out anyways.
Although not what your searching for you can create any battle you want using the editor, simply make up two armies based off the dag lists and do it that way. The editor is really easy to use and you could probobly make up a scenario in under 10 minutes if your purpose is to soley watch the ai fight itself with predefined armies (actually it might be a slightly better represenation on how a list would fair against a human since you would be deploying both forces, as opposed to the somewhat haphazzard way the AI does)
diablo1

Post by diablo1 »

ORIGINAL: The Gray Mouser

I too would like to see Hotseat battles for the dag, as for AI vs Ai? Notsure i would ever use such a thing, not really sure how much tactical info you could gather by watching the ai duke it out anyways.
Although not what your searching for you can create any battle you want using the editor, simply make up two armies based off the dag lists and do it that way. The editor is really easy to use and you could probobly make up a scenario in under 10 minutes if your purpose is to soley watch the ai fight itself with predefined armies (actually it might be a slightly better represenation on how a list would fair against a human since you would be deploying both forces, as opposed to the somewhat haphazzard way the AI does)

So if I go into the editor I can pull up all the units from all the other expansion modules to put into battles as well as the base game units? Is that what you're saying? I've never done much editing is it hard and frustrating or poing and click?
jomni

Post by jomni »

AI vs AI can give you some statistics on how well your DAG army performs.
Imagine building an army and run 100 automated  battles against certain army types or random armies.
Then you tweak to increase your odds.  Then run another 100 battles until you finaly build a super army.
bfbsfg

Post by bfbsfg »

Lots of people don't like wearing their workout pants or lounge pants outside of the house or yoga studio. They may feel it is inappropriate, Face Jackets that it looks disorderly, or that it just is not a good style for them. If you are one of these people, North Face Sale then no problems. You need to always wear what makes you feel good. But if this look is great for you and you look awesome in it, Moncler Jackets then definitely wear it.You must always choose a pair of pants that looks great on you. A tight pair is great for some people, Moncler Online while others look better in a relaxed or flared look. Try the pants on and ask yourself if you would want to be seen in them outside the house. If the thought makes you cringe, then keep them as around the house loungers or don't buy them. And if you like your pants tight, make sure your panty lines aren't showing. They are not something you want to show off.

Return to “Field of Glory Series”