Matrix Games Forums

A new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936War in the West coming in December!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Seeking HR Monsoon Advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Seeking HR Monsoon Advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/1/2010 7:10:44 PM   
cantona2

As many of you are aware Ramon (Fletcher) and I are engaged on a historical as possible game of AE. We have wracked our brains trying to find suitable HRs to govern the air campaign in the CBI region during the Monsoon Season. We have HRs governing ground combat and we initially left the flying or not flying of missions to the game engine but we have found that air ops are flown regardless of weather. As such we have tried to think of ideas for HRs to govern this facet of combat. Reading Bloody Shambles one gets a strong impression that this theater's aerial ops practically shut down other than on good flying weather days or the odd recon/transport mission.

I have suggested a stop to all aerial missions in the months of July and August but we really want something more substantial. Your input is greatly welcome, who knows we may all benefit from this as a community.

We await, grateful for your inputs

Cheers

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc
Post #: 1
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/3/2010 9:14:23 PM   
ecwgcx

since nobody else spoke up I'll take a stab: Restrict all air ops to days when the forcast is "clear" or "partly Cloudy". Everything else should cause stand down conditions.
Or: Set all airgroups to 90% training so only 10% fly ops. This would represent limited use of aircraft during small breaks in the weather.

My two cents.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 2
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/3/2010 9:18:05 PM   
Nikademus

restrict 4E base of operation to Calcutta or W by NW of that. Logistical restrictions pretty much kept them huddled around the eastern capital. Even 2E didn't venture much farther east than that....the border AF's being primarily used by 1E fighters/fighter bombers.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 3
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/4/2010 12:53:03 PM   
cavalry

Have you been to these places with monsoon?

Actually its really not as bad as you think but when it rains it really rains.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 4
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/4/2010 1:30:01 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Have you been to these places with monsoon?

Actually its really not as bad as you think but when it rains it really rains.

+1

I was thinking the same thing myself. Further, I suspect the biggest impact to operations is on unimproved airfields -- which must have been ghastly mud holes.

To address the OP's question: I would venture to say that if you want a more historical restriction, one way of doing it would be to limit the percentage of operational aircraft in any squadron to 10% for each airfield level in the area of operations. Hence a level 5 AF could have 50% of its aircraft available. Other aircraft would not be availble for training, and in effect on stand down.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 5
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/4/2010 1:38:01 PM   
mike scholl 1

Please remember that the Japanese invaded Malaya DURING the NE Monsoon Season there---which dumps about 400 inches of rain on the East Coast during Nov-Feb each year.  Which is why even though they landed on that coast, they carried out their offensive down the West Coast (in the rain shadow of the penninsula's central mountains.)  It is possible to conduct operations during a Monsoon, they are just more weather sensitive.

The SW Monsoon (off the Bay of Bengal) effects mostly the South Coast of Sumatra (Malaya again being in the rain shadow of the Sumatran Mountains.  But it's the one people think of when discussing the War in SE Asia because it effected Burma and NE India every year during the period.  The biggest effects were to make land movement along unimproved (paved) routes nearly impossible and restrict air operations to improved bases during morning (pre-rain arrival) timeframes, as the rains began about mid-day.

(in reply to cavalry)
Post #: 6
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/4/2010 4:42:58 PM   
John 3rd

I really like the AF and % of use ideas. Lew and I are using this set of HR for Burma and the surrounding area for monsoon time:

1. Offensive operations in jungle and mountain hexes on the Burmese front should be stopped from June 1st to November 1st for the Monsoon Season, allowing R&R, unit rotations, and give both players on the front a much less bloody (and much more interesting) experience. This would mean:

- No deliberate or shock attack in the jungle hexs in the designated area
- Bombardment attacks are still allowed
- Movement into friendly or empty hexes are still allowed
- No offensive air ops from or against the Burmese front hex (recon still allowed)
- No offensive carrier operations in the Gulf of Bengal against Burma (other naval ops, including bombardment, are still allowed). Striking either Bengal, Northern India or Malaya from carriers in the Gulf is still allowed, of course.

Hexes would be corresponding to everything above the "Thailand" label within Burmese and Thailandese borders + the few jungle hexes going 3 or 4 hexes into "India" (Kohima, Ledo, Imphal area)

We're at May 42 so the thoughts of getting thing done before the monsoon is really beginning to intrude on my thinking. What are thoughts regarding these HR? I would amend them to include what has been discussed above with AF.

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 7
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/4/2010 4:53:14 PM   
tocaff

You haven't lived until you're drowning in a rain and extend your arm outwards and can't see your hand. 

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 8
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/4/2010 6:12:07 PM   
rtrapasso

Historically, i believe the monsoons failed in 1944, and maybe in 1945 (i'd have to check my references on the later). Certainly the British conducted offensive operations during 1944-5 monsoon seasons with devastating results (to the Japanese).

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 9
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/5/2010 11:18:20 AM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

since nobody else spoke up I'll take a stab: Restrict all air ops to days when the forcast is "clear" or "partly Cloudy". Everything else should cause stand down conditions.
Or: Set all airgroups to 90% training so only 10% fly ops. This would represent limited use of aircraft during small breaks in the weather.

My two cents.

ecwgcx,

It´s an excellent idea !. Thank you very much.
If Jonathan (Cantona2) is agree will take borrowed !

Best wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to ecwgcx)
Post #: 10
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/5/2010 12:38:55 PM   
cantona2

Thanks for replies, after discussions with Ramon, we've decided to adopt LoBaron's suggestion.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 11
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/5/2010 1:49:19 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

1. Offensive operations in jungle and mountain hexes on the Burmese front should be stopped from June 1st to November 1st for the Monsoon Season, allowing R&R, unit rotations, and give both players on the front a much less bloody (and much more interesting) experience. This would mean:

Be more accurate to make it May 15th to September 15th. November is much to late for the SW Monsoon.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 12
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/5/2010 10:10:30 PM   
bbbf

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

The SW Monsoon (off the Bay of Bengal) effects mostly the South Coast of Sumatra (Malaya again being in the rain shadow of the Sumatran Mountains.  But it's the one people think of when discussing the War in SE Asia because it effected Burma and NE India every year during the period.  The biggest effects were to make land movement along unimproved (paved) routes nearly impossible and restrict air operations to improved bases during morning (pre-rain arrival) timeframes, as the rains began about mid-day.

So what this means is that the code should really only allow AM air missions during the monsoon period - that would cut the intensity down.

Robert Lee

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 13
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/6/2010 12:48:58 AM   
Zebedee

Isn't there a supply malus during monsoon season in appropriate areas? IIRC it's something like a 50% malus to supplies getting through.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 14
RE: Seeking HR Monsoon Advice - 12/6/2010 1:41:10 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bbbf

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

So what this means is that the code should really only allow AM air missions during the monsoon period - that would cut the intensity down.

Probably easier and more realistic to cut the combat availabilities of the air units to 50% during the monsoon period. No more than half the A/C allowed to fly, and only from lvl 4 airfields or above. No ground unit movement except on RR's and Major highways.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Seeking HR Monsoon Advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI