Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 11/30/2010 5:10:07 PM   
Hertston

Brief precis;

1. I find out that my brand new, out-of-the-box rig utterly refuses to run a certain well-known modern era RTS/WEGO wargame and its expansions because of the publisher's (who shall remain anonymous to protect the guilty) e-licensing.

2. After a week exchanging emails with a very helpful and polite tech guy we were unable to solve the problem despite strenuous effort at both ends. I finally threw in the towel.

3. The tech support guy apologised for not being able to come up with a solution and suggested I ask for a refund.

4. I do so, stating that rather than mess about further I would be quite happy if a full refund were provided in the form of a donation to a veterans charity, or any charity the publisher might happen to support.

5. And this is where the fun really starts... I received the following email from somebody else (presumably; they don't sign them),

quote:

"sorry to hear you cannot get the game to run. I am sure that the issue is your particular PC setup, however. If you try it on a "standard" PC, it's going to run without problems.

Anyway, I'm happy to issue an in-store coupon to you. You could give this to anyone else as you see fit. In order to do this, I'd need to know your order number, please."

I did so, explained that as everything else they sell has the same DRM an in-store coupon was utterly useless, and repeated my previous suggestion.

6. Had the following email

quote:

Hundreds of thousands of customers are running eLicense protected games without any issues. Among eLicense clients are companies like EA games. A standard Windows PC with the usual protection mechanisms such as UAC (user account control) provides no problem at all for eLicense activations. We find problems only on PCs which contain additional (often redundant) protection mechanisms, and often the user is completely unaware of them, and they cannot be easily stopped or removed.

I am going to direct your case to the eLicense core support team, and will try to make sure they treat this as priority ticket. Unfortunately, after investigating further, I cannot offer you a refund, not even in-store, since the games have been activated and running for a certain time.

7. I sent the following response.

quote:

Thanks for the lecture. I'm sure they are. But my brand new PC will not, despite the much appreciated efforts of your colleague to provide assistance. I consider it a perfectly 'standard' PC, consisting only of what Packard Bell supplied straight from the box. If you could take the trouble to review previous emails, you would see that both I and your colleague made strenuous efforts to track down any 'additional and often redundant protection mechanisms'. I must question why the matter was not referred to the 'eLicense core support team' before, or why this team has not even previously been mentioned, despite my ticket being identified as an e-license issue from the start.

It also seems you could not be bothered to read my previous, in which I explained that an in-store refund is completely useless to me. You might also absorb the fact that I am quite happy to forego a refund to myself in order to avoid messing about with obsolete credit cards or PayPal if the refund is made as a donation to either a veterans charity or any other charity which your company may support. Of course you can offer a refund; you are just refusing to do so which speaks volumes about XXXXXXXXXXX and your view of 'customer service'. In your(?) previous email, you DID offer me an in-store coupon, so perhaps you might work on a somewhat less bizarre and more consistent approach?

Please don't go to the trouble of referring the ticket to the supposed "eLicense core support team" as, frankly, I'm just not prepared to waste hours more of my own time just to save you, and deny a good cause, a few bucks.

Have a nice day. Thank the guy who actually tried to help me, will you?

So, I now find myself in possession of (licenses for, and the install files) of a certain well known modern era RTS/WEGO wargame and all three expansions that are completely useless to me. In view of the circumstances in an attempt to make some good out of the mess I am going to offer them to whoever offers me the highest 'bid' by PM before Saturday, the money to be paid to the charity of your choice next time you wander past a collection box. I'm assuming anyone who doesn't know what game I'm talking about wouldn't want it anyway! Please don't identify it in any way that would get this post deleted.

Thank the stars for Matrix/Slitherene and their serial numbers, so I can buy WitE with confidence!

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/30/2010 5:15:17 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 11/30/2010 6:49:09 PM   
diablo1

I'll donate a plub nickel. Modern era RTS/Wego? Would that be a SHOCKING type of game? hehe

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 2
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 11/30/2010 7:38:51 PM   
Jeffrey H.

I'm willing to pass it all on as a donation to a friend of mine who is a Vietnam era veteran and likes games.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 3
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 6:10:46 AM   
jomni

I can name that game... and I also have it.
But I thought the eLicense scheme is completely portable and doesn't conflict with other protection schemes.

< Message edited by jomni -- 12/1/2010 6:15:27 AM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 4
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 7:19:40 AM   
JudgeDredd

I had terrible trouble with their eLicence. Support wasn't great - I could definitely tell it was heading towards "It's your problem - we've done all we can" which is a real cop out.

The process to get the games running was so convoluted I still have no idea how it was resolved! I do know I installed and uninstalled at least a dozen times. It's now installed on a seperate drive (from where the rest of my games are installed) in my attempts to get it running. It was suggested it was my anti virus! It was suggested it was ZoneAlarm. When both of those had been removed and I still had issues, it was suggested that even uninstalled, they had left things on and running??? I think I even asked them if they would give me a eLicence free exe so I could play what I bought - that was obviously denied.

Great games - poor support and poor DRM choice. I won't be buying anymore of their games now I've completed the purchase of the series Hertston is speaking of.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Hertston. All too often it comes down to "Well, it's not our software, it's your system"...which is absolutely fine - except at that point, regardless of what the issue is, you are not able to use something you purchased.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 5
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 9:55:20 AM   
Sheytan

Whats the game? Why is that a SEKRET?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 10:21:19 AM   
JudgeDredd

It's not a secret - Hertston just didn't want to and asked others not to identify the company and the game for fear of having the thread locked. I doubt it would, but it was his wish and I see no reason to deny him that.

Check your PM

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 7
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 10:23:13 AM   
Lützow

Because this give-away should be subject to real devotees of the game and those again know the title.

I think that's a quite nice offer from Hertston.

(in reply to Sheytan)
Post #: 8
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 12:55:22 PM   
hgilmer3

Well, it would be nice for those of us not in the know to have a better clue so that we don't get caught up in this mess.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 9
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 1:52:53 PM   
junk2drive

There are plenty of discussions of games with DRM all over the internet. Just stick with companies like Matrix that only require a serial number to install and you will be safe.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to hgilmer3)
Post #: 10
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 2:06:10 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well Matrix Games have not yet cornered the market on great games. They do have great games and by far the best DRM system (apart from none at all) - but there are other companies that make great games and taking on their DRM system is often a non issue - until it goes wrong...that's when you know you can't go back to that system.

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 11
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/1/2010 11:30:37 PM   
wodin

CMSF and it's modules are a hell of a game and hopefully Matrix will one day bring in some new developer who can surpass it..until then for me it's the best tactical game out there....can't wait for CMNormandy as Syria doesn't do it for me...

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/2/2010 12:44:51 AM   
jomni

@Wodin, Hertston specifically requested for us not to name the game...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/2/2010 3:01:23 AM   
Slick Wilhelm

Voldemort!

There, now it's been said and we can all rest easy.

Hertston, I've always suspected that you're a stand-up guy, and this confirms it. If you ever find yourself in the great state of Minnesota across the pond from you, I would like the honor to buy you a pint or three.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 14
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/2/2010 5:24:41 AM   
mgarnett

Hi Hertston,

I feel your pain with that system and those games. I spend my day job digging inside Windows in a pretty technical way and I know you said you didn't want to bother wasting anymore time fixing this, but I would be quite happy to swap a few emails with you to see if I could somehow help you get up and running.

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 15
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/2/2010 5:05:52 PM   
diablo1

Leave it to Wodin to screw things up. hahahaah

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 16
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/2/2010 5:17:29 PM   
JudgeDredd

To be fair, Hertstons actual statement was Please don't identify it in any way that would get this post deleted

And being as Wodin is talking positively about the game, then his post is hardly likely to get the thread removed, therefore he's not really broken what Hertston requested...going by the letter of Hertstons post

JudgeDredd
I AM the Law!

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 17
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/2/2010 7:04:42 PM   
Hertston

Hi guys

I doubt I'll hear again from you-probably-know-who; I'm afraid by this little exchange I'd rather lost my rag;

quote:

You are full of contradictions, Robert. You thank for xxx's support then fabricate some kind of reason why our support sucks. You claim that you are interested in a resolution, but say yourself that you do not want us to forward your case to eLicense.

More bullsh*t. The only one full of contradictions and fabrications is you. First I can have are refund, then I can't. First it must be conflicting software, now it's hardware. And in supposedly 'reviewing' the case you couldn't even be bothered to establish the most basic facts. I have not 'fabricated' anything; the fact that your support sucks is self evident. That situation only began when you became involved, xxx was both competent and helpful. The circumstances clearly suggest a refund, and to make that easy I have repeatedly stated I am quite happy for that sum to be given to the charity of your choice. As to my in interest in a resolution, please re-read my previous and pay attention this time.

And I won't repeat what I said after;

quote:

No refund is going to be given because there is no reason for it. I am closing this ticket.

Let's just say it was less than constructive but I felt a lot better after writing it. Pfft... roll on WitE.

The game plus add-ons is still on offer, should anyone want it although I'll have to wait to see if you-probably-know-who does make that donation following my last; I'd be amazed, but obviously I couldn't pass on the game in those circumstances.

Edit: Jeffrey H.; if your friend would like it, PM me your or his snail mail address and I'll mail next week, subject to the above.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 12/2/2010 7:14:58 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice - 12/4/2010 5:03:19 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Thank the stars for Matrix/Slitherene and their serial numbers, so I can buy WitE with confidence!

Agreed.

Sorry to hear of the issues, Hertsie.

I'll save my anti-DRM rants for another thread and let you mourn in peace.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Wargame plus add-ons for the good cause of your choice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI