Matrix Games Forums

Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Simply Great Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Simply Great Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Simply Great Game - 11/27/2010 10:26:48 PM   
**budd**

Hello,

Loving the game so far and i figured out why. Besides loving the style of the game, it's the fact that with life's demands i can just pick it up and play. I have more complicated games, but they simply require more time and manual reading and remembering all the keys. At this time I simply don't have that time to invest [aaaaa some day]. I finally figured out I need to scale my buying to less time intensive games and hence I will play one game longer. It's also nice that you can download user made stuff from the game, love that. One Question I have is can I turn off the tooltips, i need them now, but I imagine that on muliple play thru's [got to get those achievements] i would like them off.

budd
Post #: 1
RE: Simply Great Game - 11/27/2010 10:45:26 PM   
junk2drive

The popup graphic advice should stop as you progress through the campaign. Tooltips are persistent.

Glad you are having fun.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 11/27/2010 10:48:04 PM >

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 2
RE: Simply Great Game - 12/27/2010 8:45:31 PM   
Texican

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

The popup graphic advice should stop as you progress through the campaign. Tooltips are persistent.

Glad you are having fun.

Does this game have a continuous campaign? If so, I might be interested. If it's just a collection of random battles, then maybe not.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 3
RE: Simply Great Game - 12/27/2010 8:48:22 PM   
junk2drive

They are not campaigns that branch or that you carry over forces from one battle to the next.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 4
RE: Simply Great Game - 12/28/2010 12:11:08 AM   
Texican

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

They are not campaigns that branch or that you carry over forces from one battle to the next.

Too bad. IMO, that's what most of these Matrix games on this site need. It's very cool to have surviving units upgrade equipment, advance in experience, and continue on to the next fight. Even cooler if there is a semi-dynamic branching campaign so replay value is greatly enhanced.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 5
RE: Simply Great Game - 12/28/2010 12:16:09 AM   
junk2drive

Those are very hard to do well.

(in reply to Texican)
Post #: 6
RE: Simply Great Game - 12/28/2010 5:48:24 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

Yes - balancing games with carryover is very hard to do without acepting that people may need to go back 5 battles because they lost a specific unit or units. Having said that, we are working on allowing some limited carryover of units between missions as a way of better gluing together campaigns.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: Simply Great Game - 12/28/2010 6:47:17 PM   
diablo1

PIP why don't you do it with numbers? Some players play better than others so some lose more and some lose less per battle. What you need is a maximum value per mission per side, those that did real well and carry over a large or pretty good experience force won't get as many more units as someone who lost 3/4ths of their units. As long as the base value remains consistant like say 1000 points both types of players can find fun and challenge in the next linked mission or the campaign? Where one is carrying over more quality forces the other is getting to BUY more support forces to makeup for the losses and get the optimum balanced army to take on the next mission. So there shouldn't be any of that going back 5 missions or reloading 5 missions back to be able to continue and play and have fun and challenge with the future missions.

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 8
RE: Simply Great Game - 12/31/2010 5:40:23 PM   
hank

Yes it is. A fun game. I just jumped in and started playing when I got it. Its a fairly intuitive UI.
Last night I started going though all the battles you can play in each campaign and its impressive. I have not gone through them all but there's plenty for me. (I did buy BA and BA:BF so I don't know what came with the basic BA but both together sure give you lots of scenarios with some being closely based on actual engagements)

I saw one I have not played yet that looks like von Luck's action at Cagney where he countermanded an 88 FLak group at gun point to stop British armored advances (or it appears to be based on it)

This is a lot of fun. I never played combat mission or any other games like this so its a new adventure for me.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 9
RE: Simply Great Game - 1/15/2011 11:24:21 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

I have more complicated games,

There is quite some complexity going on under the hood.... it's just hidden from the player so you're not really aware of it when new to the game.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Simply Great Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI