Land Units Op's Mode

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Itdepends

Land Units Op's Mode

Post by Itdepends »

As the attacker- does it matter if you move your units in Move mode rather than Combat mode?

If you move into a defenders hex- and don't precipitate a shock attack by crossing a river- can't you just switch them to combat mode in the orders phase after they reach the defenders- at the same time as the defender gets the opportunity to set his units to attack?

Ditto for a defender moving away from an approaching attacker- can't you try and escape using move op mode- but if the attacker catches you- don't you have an orders phase to switch modes before the attacker gets a shot at you?

Daniel
Alfred

RE: Land Units Op's Mode

Post by Alfred »

As described, the units in move order are moving to/from a situation where contact with the enemy pre-exists. Thus the enemy may already have ordered an air attack on the existing contact forces, which attack will catch your troops in "move mode" before you have an opportunity to change their mode to combat.

Alfred
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

You don't want to have your LCU's in "move" mode if they're moving into an enemy held hex.  They are basically "in column" and will suffer huge losses for being unprepared for combat.  I always use "move" mode until they are adjacent, then switch to combat mode for the final advance.
Sun Tempest

Post by Sun Tempest »

Is there a significant difference between a unit moving in combat mode over one in move mode?
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

You don't want to have your LCU's in "move" mode if they're moving into an enemy held hex.  They are basically "in column" and will suffer huge losses for being unprepared for combat.  I always use "move" mode until they are adjacent, then switch to combat mode for the final advance.

But the enemy cant attack until the next turn (assuming this is your first move into the hex)so you get a chance to change modes. Is the mode change immediate or after the next turn?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
ChezDaJez

Post by ChezDaJez »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

But the enemy cant attack until the next turn (assuming this is your first move into the hex)so you get a chance to change modes. Is the mode change immediate or after the next turn?

I typically put mine in move mode when given orders to march into an occupied hex. I then change them to combat mode just before the required distance for the move is achieved. If I already have major units in the hex, then I will leave the approaching ones in move mode until they actually enter the hex assuming the AV of my troops already in the hex exceed his.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

But, in answer to your question, yes you are correct. Unless you trigger a shock attack or are moving into an already contested hex where your opponent has already set up an attack-there is no penalty for moving into a hex in move mode. You can change it to combat the next turn before any combat occurs.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”