Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Land Units Op's Mode

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Land Units Op's Mode Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Land Units Op's Mode - 11/26/2010 1:57:51 PM   
Itdepends

As the attacker- does it matter if you move your units in Move mode rather than Combat mode?

If you move into a defenders hex- and don't precipitate a shock attack by crossing a river- can't you just switch them to combat mode in the orders phase after they reach the defenders- at the same time as the defender gets the opportunity to set his units to attack?

Ditto for a defender moving away from an approaching attacker- can't you try and escape using move op mode- but if the attacker catches you- don't you have an orders phase to switch modes before the attacker gets a shot at you?

Daniel
Post #: 1
RE: Land Units Op's Mode - 11/26/2010 2:06:33 PM   
Alfred

As described, the units in move order are moving to/from a situation where contact with the enemy pre-exists. Thus the enemy may already have ordered an air attack on the existing contact forces, which attack will catch your troops in "move mode" before you have an opportunity to change their mode to combat.

Alfred

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 2
RE: Land Units Op's Mode - 11/26/2010 8:15:30 PM   
John Lansford

You don't want to have your LCU's in "move" mode if they're moving into an enemy held hex.  They are basically "in column" and will suffer huge losses for being unprepared for combat.  I always use "move" mode until they are adjacent, then switch to combat mode for the final advance.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 3
RE: Land Units Op's Mode - 11/26/2010 8:59:49 PM   
Sun Tempest

Is there a significant difference between a unit moving in combat mode over one in move mode?

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 4
RE: Land Units Op's Mode - 11/26/2010 9:13:03 PM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

You don't want to have your LCU's in "move" mode if they're moving into an enemy held hex.  They are basically "in column" and will suffer huge losses for being unprepared for combat.  I always use "move" mode until they are adjacent, then switch to combat mode for the final advance.

But the enemy cant attack until the next turn (assuming this is your first move into the hex)so you get a chance to change modes. Is the mode change immediate or after the next turn?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 5
RE: Land Units Op's Mode - 11/26/2010 9:40:27 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

But the enemy cant attack until the next turn (assuming this is your first move into the hex)so you get a chance to change modes. Is the mode change immediate or after the next turn?

I typically put mine in move mode when given orders to march into an occupied hex. I then change them to combat mode just before the required distance for the move is achieved. If I already have major units in the hex, then I will leave the approaching ones in move mode until they actually enter the hex assuming the AV of my troops already in the hex exceed his.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 6
RE: Land Units Op's Mode - 11/27/2010 4:24:53 PM   
crsutton

But, in answer to your question, yes you are correct. Unless you trigger a shock attack or are moving into an already contested hex where your opponent has already set up an attack-there is no penalty for moving into a hex in move mode. You can change it to combat the next turn before any combat occurs.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Land Units Op's Mode Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI