How much

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

animaluk

How much

Post by animaluk »

Hi looking forward to this great game as the title says what will it set me back in the good old uk.i will defo be getting it but need to put some money aside for it.
blastpop

RE: How much

Post by blastpop »

ORIGINAL: animaluk

Hi looking forward to this great game as the title says what will it set me back in the good old uk.i will defo be getting it but need to put some money aside for it.

Been wondering myself. I am in the US- so I would expect something around $80.00? Anything higher than that price I'll need to do some serious re-evaluation to see if I want to invest that much.
Mark
Crimguy

Post by Crimguy »

I'm guessing 69 for DD, 79 for combo DD/physical.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

With the release being estimated as soon, we'll all know soon enough how many beers we'll have to give up to obtain this beauty.[:)][:)][:)]
Flipper
SGHunt

Post by SGHunt »

Surely there are many things to give up before beer, the staff of life!

This is me in my natural habitat:

Attachments
Beer.jpg
Beer.jpg (190.9 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

V22 Osprey

Post by V22 Osprey »

ORIGINAL: Crimguy

I'm guessing 69 for DD, 79 for combo DD/physical.

That's minimum. I was thinking more of 79 DD and 89 DD/Physical. However, I pray that they have some mercy. Atleast I already have the money set aside for this game too, along with WiF and Modern Wars vol 1.
ImageImage
Art by rogueusmc.
animaluk

Post by animaluk »

You guys must have a idea of the cost so let us know please
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

That's kind of what annoys me (and in the past) - you seriously cannot tell me, after how long this has been in development and knowing the release is imminent that you do not know a price yet...really? The release is round the corner...some figures must've been discussed?
Alba gu' brath
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

That's kind of what annoys me (and in the past) - you seriously cannot tell me, after how long this has been in development and knowing the release is imminent that you do not know a price yet...really? The release is round the corner...some figures must've been discussed?

I suspect that the basic problem is a matter of roles and NDA terms. I seriously doubt that any tester, developer or any person associated with 2x3 is empowered to disclose any Matrix financial detail. Furthermore since I am quite sure that they have discussed/speculated among themselves about the price Matrix will set, they cannot claim that any comment they make is simply ignorent speculation instead of violation of privilege. [:)]

So just blame the lawyers [:D]
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I'm not expecting any testers to know the price. Nor am I expecting any developer to divulge the price - what I'm saying is Matrix must know the price surely - and if they do, why not publicise what the price will be...it does nothing but get peoples backs up when a price is sprung. And if it is a large amount of money as most people expect, not only does it prepare them for that on release day, but gives them a chance to put the money by.

As an example - I've bought nothing on the Matrix sale because I'm waiting to find out how much this costs. If I knew now, I may well be able to run off and buy another game.

Just saying...if the price is known, why not allow people to soak it up prior to release...and I cannot believe it isn't known with the release allegedly around 2 or 3 weeks away.

I'm done. I promise I will not mention anything more about it and I'll wait for the announcement or the release - whichever is the closest!
Alba gu' brath
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

pompack - I see why u responded as you did...I meant "you" as in Matrix - not any testers
Alba gu' brath
animaluk

Post by animaluk »

Well said that man
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I guess the answer here is simple. Matrix don't like to see price arguments starting prior to release already. Just assume a range from 70-90 bucks and you're on the safe side.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I guess the answer here is simple. Matrix don't like to see price arguments starting prior to release already. Just assume a range from 70-90 bucks and you're on the safe side.

I doubt the above is the answer.

What all companies try to avoid is last minute changes in pricing that tend to upset customers. There is no doubt Matrix has settled on a pricing range. Many things, like the date of release can effect final price(s), ex. Dec. 2010 may be cheaper than Feb 2011 (many of these variable are too complicated to explain in a quicky post).

Matrix, IMO, is better off waiting until the price is locked in before telling us. I tend to be turned off when a products price changes at the last minute.

If they say it will be $79.95 that's fine (as is any price under the $100.00 I budgeted), but if they then have to change it to $85.95 at least one customer will be UNHAPPY (ie: ME!!!). Pricing is a complicated issue and misinformation is costly.
Flipper
Neal_MLC

Post by Neal_MLC »

Pricing is a complicated process and I seriously doubt Matrix et al know exactly what it will be. I am sure they have a ballpark figure by now but they won't know for sure until it is almost ready for shipping. I suspect it will be more than a penny and less than $1000.00. But that is just a guess.
no matter where you go, there you are
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: pompack

I suspect that the basic problem is a matter of roles and NDA terms. I seriously doubt that any tester, developer or any person associated with 2x3 is empowered to disclose any Matrix financial detail. Furthermore since I am quite sure that they have discussed/speculated among themselves about the price Matrix will set, they cannot claim that any comment they make is simply ignorent speculation instead of violation of privilege. [:)]

So just blame the lawyers [:D]

You are correct in that an NDA would preclude any tester from divulging any thing like that, but in the nearly 2 years I have been doing it, I can't recall even on a single occasion that that subject was ever brought up on our tester forum. We don't get involved with that aspect. That's strictly between 2By3 and Matrix. We testers are as much in the dark as any of you guys.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

The problem with "assuming" is it gives you an expectation - and I've already done that with BftB and was very very sorely dissappointed - which is why I would like Matrix to state the price prior to release when they know what it is. There's no real reason not to - if anyone is not going to like the price, then it gets the price war out early - more than that it would be publicity for the game (and any publicity is good publicity right?). But regardless - the price war will erupt - Matrix have to decide whether it's more beneficial to have that cloud the release, or get it out the way early. I would argue it's probably much more damaging to have that price war on release day.

So the negatives of announcing the price prior to release?
1. A price war erupts on release day

The benefits of announcing the price early?
1. A price war erupts prior to release
2. People know what the price will be - no sticker shock on release
3. They are able to adjust their spending for the month
4. For the impulse buyer, there will not be the disappointment of not getting the game on release as it will already be known...NOT have that big disappointment on release day

I've already been here with BftB. I "assumed" (safely I thought) that the price would be slightly higher than Conquest of the Aegean. I was sorely disappointed on release day. I had already spent money on games that month, so the upshot was I could not buy it on release and that really disappointed me. Further to that, as the weeks went by, I found my initial desire to purchase the game sliding. I am an impulsive buyer. I have very nearly on several occasions bought Revolution Under Siege - and only just managed to not buy it. I now know that I'm pretty safe from spending my money on it now because the impulse to buy it has gone now, though it sparks from time to time when I read a post there.

I am only using BftB as an example of how the price hit me. I had a safe expectaion (I thought) and it simply wasn't the case. It's safe to say I have a higher expectation of what the price will be for this - but it doesn't mean it's safe.

Matrix may well not know the price. But a few weeks from release? I find that hard to believe. At the very least, they should know a very accurate range. I've seen alot of prices banded about for the expectation of this game and they vary wildly. I do not think, as you do, that $70-90 is a safe bet - and the only people who can dowse the flames of speculation are Matrix.

I genuinely think it would help for a smoother release...less people pissed off on release day would be a benefit to the game and the community in the forums. I have Christmas coming, with 2 birthdays for my girls in December. I'm hoping to get this - but money is going to be tight - so I would like to budget for it. If I know prior to release that I can't get it because of the price, then I will be fine about that. If I find out on release day that I can't get it because of the price, being an impulse buyer, I'll be pissed off.

It would certainly help me to know the price early...I'm sure other people have a lot of expense over Christmas.
Alba gu' brath
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

If this game covers the whole East Front, if this game is highly researched, if this game is rock solid, if this game has an intuitive interface, if this game has a wide set of scenarios and if this game is backed up by a user friendly tutorial that does not require tens of pages of an ebook to be read - then this game will be worth upwards of $80 USD along the lines of the best of board wargames today.

My .02.
animaluk

Post by animaluk »

So once again how much it is a simple question. and as been said in better words then i could use. i will buy this game but it is common decencey to have a price. you do sell games all the time and must have a price already in mind so please let the world know.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

It would certainly help me to know the price early...I'm sure other people have a lot of expense over Christmas.

I think it's a mixed bag.

Matrix is in many cases different to other pulishers. They don't lump older products into a bargain bin, neither they held reiterating sales with $7,- prices for chosen titles. Even with the holiday discount many of their old games are almost as expensive as new releases and the former relationship with DR wasn't as professional as it could be in regard to customer service. On the other hand, plenty of work here is rather a labor of love and doesn't create much revenue. Like further developing games which are not expected to sell many copies anymore, due to sophisticasted customers, expecting longtime support for the 40,- bucks they did spend 4 years ago. Matrix maintains a platform where devs are in close contact with a predominantly mature and educated audience, and they have Erik to iron out everybody's personal concerns. In contradiction to a certain forum, where the King bestows the graciousness of his presence once a week, and ill-mannered kids, sheding a bad light on his company - for what reason ever - get permanently banned. That all has to be taken into account when we talk prices.

With that said, Matrix for sure relies on viral marketing and that can go both ways. If the vocal minority (us!) on these boards turn into an angry mob, it will overshadow an imminent release and might have a negative impact on sales numbers. That happened to AtD II in example, which was one of the best and - regarding forum activities - likewise most underrated titles this year. The casual visitor won't necessarily notice the positive side but rather evaluate about ongoing arguments and whatever Matrix charges for WitE, will create discussions again. So I do understand when they refrain from a premature price announcement, even it would be more convenient if we already knew how much money this game will take.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”