Matrix Games Forums

A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Squad Selection?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Star Sentinel Tactics >> Squad Selection? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Squad Selection? - 11/23/2010 2:20:44 AM   
sabre1

Can you pick your squad or is it assigned already?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Squad Selection? - 11/23/2010 9:00:44 AM   
beserko

assigned it seems. Maybe later on someone will join <NPC> I seem to remember a girl in the screen shots but don't quote me LOL

as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns—there are things we do not know we don't know."

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 2
RE: Squad Selection? - 11/23/2010 5:09:56 PM   
sabre1

I'm just old school, soldiers = guys. I don't want women in my squad.

(in reply to beserko)
Post #: 3
RE: Squad Selection? - 11/24/2010 12:49:35 AM   
PhilSST

The squad are assigned automatically. The game relies heavily on a lot of dialogue between characters, and cobbling together some kind of dynamic system to switch conversations dependant upon which characters were in your team seemed like it was likely to end up with a very buggy game that was hard to debug. Bioware managed it with Mass Effect 2, but I don't have their budget.. yet.

There is another character who joins the team mid-way through the game.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 4
RE: Squad Selection? - 11/24/2010 9:13:57 PM   
Pratzen

Oh. This game is some sort of role-playing non-sense?

Excuse me!

(in reply to PhilSST)
Post #: 5
RE: Squad Selection? - 11/24/2010 9:32:43 PM   
PhilSST

I wouldn't go as far as to call it role-playing. It's just that - as a developer and to a lesser extent as a gamer - it's usually narrative that drives me forward. I find that I have a different attitude towards a game when I care about the characters and I care what happens next. I wanted to have that same sense in SST too, so I always developed with a coherent narrative in mind. As you say, this is a common feature in RPGs, particularly the Japanese tactical RPGs but I wanted to see if I could make it work for a traditional western turn-based tactics game as well. It does seem to have surprised quite a lot of people so perhaps it was a risky thing for me to do, but I hope that - if people give it a chance - they find that the story and the characters help to drive the gameplay.

(in reply to Pratzen)
Post #: 6
RE: Squad Selection? - 11/25/2010 3:11:56 AM   
sabre1

PhilSST,

Your game design is probably very similar to Dawn of War II, complete the mission, get goodies, improve squad stats?

(in reply to PhilSST)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Star Sentinel Tactics >> Squad Selection? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI