Matrix Games Forums

More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Great game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Great game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Great game - 11/20/2010 12:04:21 PM   
hondo1375

So, thanks again for all the advice: Roman smackdown on turn 15 on normal. Image of the situation on turn 14 just before the Romans attempt a desperate relief effort that fails. The secret to this game is definitely stripping areas of recruits and moving on (turtles of the world, throw off your shells!).

I'd like to be returned to the game map after the victory screen as it all feels a bit flat otherwise.

From a replayability point of view, I would not see myself playing at each level of difficulty and winning more than once, but winning is difficult in this game so I've already got more than my money's worth winning on basic and normal because (1) it's taken several attempts to win, and (2) each turn is pretty intense, so I find myself playing only a few turns a session. Also, there is "difficult" level still to conquer.

I should also add here that this is definitely the most challenging single player computer game I can remember playing in a long time. The AI is definitely competent, unforgiving, able to exploit weaknesses in your position, but the difficulty of the game is aided by the imbalance against the Carthaginians in the game set up. However, I have not noticed any cheating, it is just an asymmetrical situation being simulated.

I would go as far as to say that this game is a must-buy for hardcore single-playing wargamers, even if you only have a passing interest in the historical situation (I actually had no interest in it when I bought the game, although I do like some ancient periods).

With respect to what could be improved, an "undo" function would be welcome: there were a lot of occasions when I activated a leader only to realise I could not undertake the intend manoeuvre because of some rule I had not remembered/incorrectly understood.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hondo1375 -- 11/20/2010 12:10:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Great game - 11/20/2010 5:26:21 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: hondo1375

With respect to what could be improved, an "undo" function would be welcome: there were a lot of occasions when I activated a leader only to realise I could not undertake the intend manoeuvre because of some rule I had not remembered/incorrectly understood.

Grats on the win! Staying mobile and recruiting efficiently are good practice. You can also eventually find a defensible area with some cities and try for a VP win, too. The hard level gets even better.

The learning curve is a bit unforgiving until you grasp all the intricacies. There were times I wish I had an Undo button, too, at least for the activation action itself. The first few learning games I saved before every questionable move I did just in case there was a rule I didn't realize. Cheating, sure but it helped me learn the system faster. It was my undo button. ;) There are also three ways of saving, including a quick save so it should be fairly painless while people are picking up on the system.

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 2
RE: Great game - 11/21/2010 8:33:04 PM   
Johnnie

NK:

Good point about saving often. Prevents you from activating a certain leader to do something which (due to the rules) you can't quite do, and being stuck with a compromised turn.

I think people will do better when they realize (as I finally did) that the game is not about maintaining a continuous front and conquering Italy province by contiguous province, but rather beating Rome's armies and then stripping Rome of her resources, while maintaing a strong Hannibal in the field.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Great game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI