Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access Space Program Manager unveils its multiplayer modes Another update for Commander: The Great War!Distant Worlds: Universe gets a new updateDeal of the Week: Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich Advanced Tactics Gold is coming to SteamMatrix Games now speaks German!A little bit of history with To End All WarsBattle Academy 2 gets a release date!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No emissions problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> No emissions problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No emissions problem - 11/19/2010 9:30:15 PM   
Chris H

I just started playing the game again after a very long break.

I turned emission off at the beginning of the scenario, set up some a/c stations in a formation everything was fine for the first hour. Then a AEW helio took off and suddenly I have radar and I cannot turn it off. Why!
Post #: 1
RE: No emissions problem - 11/19/2010 10:35:25 PM   
uncleharpoon

Howdy Chris

Can't say at this point, let's dig into so you can have an answer.

Tell me about the mission/patrol you assigned to the AEW helo.

It may help save some time if you would answer three questions:

Which version of the game?
What database and version?
What scenario?

Don Gilman
AGSI
http://www.computerharpoon.com
http://www.h3milsim.com

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 2
RE: No emissions problem - 11/20/2010 8:43:49 AM   
Chris H

v3.9.4.0 no idea how to find database version but I installed it as from download.

Cold war Air lane raider playing as Soviets

Just AEW station witin a TF formation using one Hormone B.

Edited
I vaguely remember the launcher now I've looked and it appears to be the standard database.

< Message edited by Chris H -- 11/20/2010 8:44:23 AM >

(in reply to uncleharpoon)
Post #: 3
RE: No emissions problem - 11/20/2010 12:18:41 PM   
Bucks

Chris,

Select the Hormone B, then hit the F9 - Sensor settings hotkey. Check the settings for the helo in question, either in the Formation Editor or use Keypad 9 to view units.

When you say you, "set emissions to passive", is the helo when you select it, reporting an assigned mission? Missions when created with a Radar Intermittance will if you don't set the values, default to various active/passive durations. So I'd suggest you check the helo and then report back.

I'm more than happy to look your scenario over, just fire off an email to dbuckley@advancedgaming.biz with a saved game attached and I'll do my best to examine it and see what I can find. Even a screen shot posted here with the helo selected might help. The only other factor I can think of that would cause this is if your Task Force had come under attack and the self-defence routine kicked in and the formation went active to allow for SAM guidance. When this happens just about everything in the Group will light up.

Sorry I can't be more help, but without seeing what's going on it's a little hard to give you a definitive answer to your query. I'd like to know why the helo took off as well? Is it replacing a helo that's returning to base? Is it a delayed mission etc etc. I need to know the whole story before we class this as an issue or just a problem with the settings employed.

Cheers

Darren

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 4
RE: No emissions problem - 11/20/2010 12:21:09 PM   
Bucks

Just a quick note, I'll be out for an hour or two (running Taxi duty for my Brother and some mates at a wedding). Will get on it as soon as I return.

Cheers

Darren

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 5
RE: No emissions problem - 11/20/2010 8:09:18 PM   
Chris H

I'm not sure why but it looks like the computer has assigned a second AEW station and this is the one that is turning on radar. I've turned it off but I cannot delete the station.

How do you delete a station from a formation. The Unassign key does not work!

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 6
RE: No emissions problem - 11/21/2010 4:47:05 AM   
Bucks

Chris,

Using the launcher, select the tab labelled, "Game Preferences" and note the "Staff Assistance Settings".

Uncheck the "Formation Air Patrols" and your helos will "behave" themselves, or at least only do what you tell them, and not what the Game Engine defaults to. I've attached a screen shot showing the Harpoon 3 ANW Launcher 2.5 and where you should adjust your settings. This I believe will provide you with a solution for your issue.

Cheers

Darren

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 7
RE: No emissions problem - 11/21/2010 12:33:42 PM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bucks

Chris,

Using the launcher, select the tab labelled, "Game Preferences" and note the "Staff Assistance Settings".

Uncheck the "Formation Air Patrols" and your helos will "behave" themselves, or at least only do what you tell them, and not what the Game Engine defaults to. I've attached a screen shot showing the Harpoon 3 ANW Launcher 2.5 and where you should adjust your settings. This I believe will provide you with a solution for your issue.

Cheers

Darren

Thanks for that. I'd turned them off in game but when I checked through the launcher there were on. I find that odd!

Could you tell me how to delete a station in a formation please.

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 8
RE: No emissions problem - 11/21/2010 1:38:21 PM   
Bucks

Chris,

Turning them off during game play via the Settings -> Game Preferences, does not write the setting to the Harpoon3.ini file where they are saved. Only the launcher is capable of doing that. Changes made via the Game Preferences menu are saved for the current session and then discarded once you finish playing. They also only apply from the time you change the settings, so it's not going to retrospectively fix the issue.

The best way of removing a Patrol station is to not allow it to be created in the first instance, so the settings provided via the ANW Launcher are critical to controlling your assets during game play.

I can't say I have a method for deleting a Formation Air Patrol, the issue has caused untold problems for me when rebuilding the Harpoon 2 stock scenarios for H3 ANW. A sure fire method would be to break your group up, detach all the units from the group and then reform it. This will reset all of the Formation Patrol Stations and allow you to reassign ships and or aircraft to the appropriate patrol stations. There is as far as I know no way of deleting a particular patrol zone and hence my remark about deselecting the Game Engine's ability to assign these by default.

Just to reiterate, Changes made via the Game Preferences menu option are enforced for that session only and are NOT saved to the Harpoon3.ini file. The H3 ANW Launcher is the only way to save changes to the INI file other than manually (not recommended, unless you really know what you're doing). Sorry that I can't help with the deletion issue, although I'm happy to stand corrected if somebody has a method that, can be employed to remove the requirement to break a group up to achieve your goal Chris. Hope that helps?

Cheers

Darren

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 9
RE: No emissions problem - 11/21/2010 5:34:03 PM   
Chris H

I'll restart the scenario.

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 10
RE: No emissions problem - 11/21/2010 9:45:33 PM   
Chris H

I convinced that when Harpoon 2 first came out there was a way to delete stations in a formation. This does not appear to be the case which really does make one of the fundamental of the game difficult, virtually unplayable. I do not know what the latest version is like but if you cannot delete stations from a formation easily and simply I will not be buying it.

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 11
RE: No emissions problem - 11/21/2010 10:18:36 PM   
Chris H

OK now I'm really annoyed. I've just spent 10 min trying to ungroup everthing from a TF as you suggested which is not easy as you have to individually select the units to detach them. I tried dragging a box around all but keep getting a message ' you can't detach a non unit'

Once I did I then regrouped everthing but heli and planes IMMEDIATELY TOOK OFF. What the heck is going on here.

I tried again landed everything and just left it to get on. Guess what happen? Aircraft in the air again once they had become ready.

The game is unplayable

< Message edited by Chris H -- 11/21/2010 10:34:36 PM >

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 12
RE: No emissions problem - 11/22/2010 12:34:21 AM   
Bucks

As I suggested earlier a save game would REALLY help with a diagnosis. Ranting I've found solves nothing quickly. Chris I'm attempting to help you from 10,000 miles away and I have no visual evidence to work with...

You're welcome to your opinion, I won't try to change that, I and anyone else for that matter will need something to work with to get to the bottom of the issue. Also try unchecking the "formation" box on the launcher meaning you are then responsible for the formation stations and formation air patrols.

Did you detach the units after setting the way the game behaves in the launcher and starting again or were you trying to resurrect the scenario you were originally playing?

I have a save here where the formation air patrols were vested in the Staff assistant's control. Even if I deselect the check boxes when I start the save again those values are written into the save game, and override the new settings (obviously). Even opening the Harpoon3.ini file and copying and pasting it here will help a little bit and allow me to see if the launcher isn't writing to the file...

I just can't help without anything more than your descriptions I need files/examples to be able to determine what's REALLY happening. You're claiming deselecting the Launcher's check boxes doesn't work. I need to find out why and like I said from 10,000 miles away I doubt my "mind powers" will reach that far...

By the way the game is playable, I use it constantly and can point you in the direction of many others who do as well. Harpoon 2 isn't a good example, I haven't used it in more than 10 years and without trying to sound like a "know it all" there was no specific way to "one click" and delete a formation station. Another thing to do is confirm the launcher settings and once your game is running open Settings - Game Preferences to ensure the settings match up. Short of that without an example/save game etc I simply can't help any further I'm guessing at best and using my crystal ball for the rest...

Good luck

Darren

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 13
RE: No emissions problem - 11/22/2010 8:49:20 AM   
Bucks

Chris,

Go to the mission Editor in one of your problem scens. I'm hoping you have a save game at hand.

Open it it Scenedit and follow these steps:

Menu

Mission -> Edit Mission

There may be no missions depending on what you have set up.

There will be a "Plotted" Mission no matter what that'll be there.

If there are aircraft assigned there's your issue with the auto take offs.

Ok now go back to Single Player Harpoon3.exe and start the scenario from the beginning making sure you have the formation air patrol check box deselected.

Start the scenario and Pls make sure you set/assign EVERY aircraft to a mission or patrol station BEFORE you plot a course. Once that's done navigate your task group where you want. See what happens...

Any unassigned aircraft will become "plotted" like their parent unit. They "plotted" aircraft are evil and refuse to do what you tell them...

Apologies for the frustration mate, I've been working with 3.10 for over a year and it was your Harpoon 2 comment that triggered my memory. That's the old painful issue from H2 that's gone now (3.10) so I'm hoping the steps I've mentioned solve it. You can't remove aircraft from a plotted mission, so they default and act up. I'm sorry I'm used to using the game where that's gone away... Plotting ships in 3.10 doesn't affect the aircraft on them and if it does the mission editor allows you to remove them. You'd be condemning the 3.10 version because it fixes your issue...

Again apologies, you get used to something very fast when it's fixed, I can post screen shots to validate for you if you want to see I'm above board. That problem was starting to do me in if you get my meaning.

Cheers

Darren

PS - You're lucky anyway, after Thursday we may not be talking to each other anyway. Stupid question if I ask you who'll win the Ashes?

< Message edited by Bucks -- 11/22/2010 8:51:46 AM >

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 14
RE: No emissions problem - 11/22/2010 9:06:56 AM   
Bucks

I better show you the difference regardless. Doubt you'd believe a colonial anyway ;-)

This is Scenedit, I've opened Airlane Raiders using 3.9.4. Shows what happens when you try to remove aircraft using the mission editor, when they are assigned to a "Plotted" mission type.

Darren

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 15
RE: No emissions problem - 11/22/2010 9:30:52 AM   
Bucks

Chris,

3.10 gives you the control you're looking for. Here's the same evolution using 3.10.0 and you can see the difference. Plotted aircraft can be removed and re-assigned as desired, using the mission editor.

You can't delete the formation patrol zone, you can however remove the aircraft assigned to it. That shuts it down. No aircraft assigned nothing to action it with.

Cheers

Darren

PS - The same functionality exists using the Mission Editor in H3ANW 3.10 Single Player (Harpoon3.exe), it's not a Scenedit only feature. In effect you have control of all your units, all of the time. It may require a note pad to scribble down the Unit Data Block name eg. A245; F689 etc. You'd then go to the Mission Editor select the "Plotted" Mission and "Remove Aircraft" -> A245, F689 and they're unassigned. Same applies to Aircraft already in-flight and "On Station".

No, these aircraft don't have Data Block names yet only in-flight aircraft do so my example is showing how you gain control and prevent unwanted behaviour.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Bucks -- 11/22/2010 9:43:48 AM >

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 16
RE: No emissions problem - 11/22/2010 9:40:04 PM   
Chris H

I'll wait for 3.10.

Thanks

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> No emissions problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI