Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK, who the heck Launched that?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OK, who the heck Launched that? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 1:45:54 PM   
JohnDillworth

Missile launched off the coast of Los Angles. Navy and Air force say it wasn't them.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/09/national/main7036716.shtml

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it’s still on the list.
Post #: 1
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 1:48:46 PM   
RUDOLF

Hopefully just a Chinese signal of strength.
Mabye a Chinese Nuclear Submarine conducting missile tests off the US West coast.

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 11/9/2010 2:00:28 PM >

http://wikileaks.org/

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 2:09:03 PM   
bjmorgan

Maybe Pam Anderson was making another video aboard ship.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 3
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 2:12:53 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUDOLF

Hopefully just a Chinese signal of strength.
Mabye a Chinese Nuclear Submarine conducting missile tests off the US West coast.

That makes no sense, for a variety of treaty, telemetry, political, and foreign trade reasons. You don't launch missiles near population centers, even if in international waters, without notification and extensive Notice to Mariners pre-publication. You REALLY don't do something so bone-headed stupid right next to the biggest nuclear-armed power on the planet.

My bet is amateurs with an enhanced-contrail homebuilt rocket, looking for just the reaction they got in the first 12 hours. They may not like the reaction they get in the next 72 though.

The Moose

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 4
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 2:18:34 PM   
oldman45

It also could have been an accident. There have been "oops" over the years where missiles/torpedo's have been launched by accident. Perhaps nobody wants to talk about it. ;)

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 5
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 2:23:39 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

It also could have been an accident. There have been "oops" over the years where missiles/torpedo's have been launched by accident. Perhaps nobody wants to talk about it. ;)

"Should I not have touched that"? If it was an accident someone is making up a hell of a story right now. Douh!

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 6
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 2:27:37 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Possibly, and I guarantee you that the entire West Coast US military got no sleep last night. A complete inventory of weapons was done and flash reported to the Pentagon within hours. The press may not not know about it, but they don't need to. If it was one of ours that will be reported soon I'm sure. I don't think it was. Too hard to launch a missile that large by yourself, by accident.

The Moose

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 7
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 2:48:43 PM   
JohnDillworth

Has to be one of ours. I think there are only 3 other countries that have subs that could get here and do that. Plus it's pretty big, like ICBM big. Wonder where it landed? Anyway, it's probably just a lack of communication. I can't think they would do something like that and not give local law enforcement a heads up. I was working in NYC last year when they had a 747 buzz the harbor and there was quite an outcry.

Post #: 8
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 2:54:42 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Has to be one of ours. I think there are only 3 other countries that have subs that could get here and do that. Plus it's pretty big, like ICBM big. Wonder where it landed? Anyway, it's probably just a lack of communication. I can't think they would do something like that and not give local law enforcement a heads up. I was working in NYC last year when they had a 747 buzz the harbor and there was quite an outcry.

I don't think they've released any analysis on how big it was. It had a big tail; that doesn't mean the missile was big. Ever seen an airobatics show?
You could launch a homemade something that could make that kind of tail off a commercial fishing boat. I'm sure there is lots and lots of data gathering, FBI work, and local law enforcement knocking on doors today.

Because if it WAS a foreign military power that did it, that is something the president needs to know like yesterday.

The Moose

Post #: 9
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:01:16 PM   
Misconduct

Maybe the missile was a Charokee indian smoke signal warning southern california Lindsay Lohan and Paris hilton were seen snorting coke together.

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

Post #: 10
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:11:25 PM   
Schanilec

Wasn't me. Juilet 0 is empty. Maybe ask the boys in Minot. They seem to oops every now and then.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 11
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:19:45 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Wasn't me. Juilet 0 is empty. Maybe ask the boys in Minot. They seem to oops every now and then.

Look, just walk over and do a hand count. We are just checking. Someone is missing one of these things.
thanks

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 12
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:23:43 PM   
witpqs

Remember the Get Smart episode? "That's the second biggest arrow I've ever seen!"

Post #: 13
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:26:46 PM   
Kwik E Mart

Broken Arrow...i authenticate Oscar Mike Golf...signing off to clean underwear...out

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:52:39 PM   
RUDOLF

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

That makes no sense, for a variety of treaty, telemetry, political, and foreign trade reasons. You don't launch missiles near population centers, even if in international waters, without notification and extensive Notice to Mariners pre-publication. You REALLY don't do something so bone-headed stupid right next to the biggest nuclear-armed power on the planet.

My bet is amateurs with an enhanced-contrail homebuilt rocket, looking for just the reaction they got in the first 12 hours. They may not like the reaction they get in the next 72 though.

lol - I don't know if I shall laugh or cry.

Obviously this is a missile launched by the US itself, there is no other nations interested in launching Inter continental ballistic missiles next to the US coast.

This is communication from the US, one of their many various ways of communicating their threats or comments to the world, or in this case to a part of it - specifically to Asia. The US did this all the time during the Cold war as well. If the US want to threaten Iran they can move some Carriers to the gulf, but that wont work on China because China has developed the Carrier killer DF-21D.

It can be compared with what Russia is doing, flying of Long range Nuclear Armed bombers up and down the US East coast, launched from their air bases in Venezuela.

There are many different things ongoing in Asia right now the US is upset about, and I assume you are intelligent enough to realize that this missile is launched by the US itself, despite the fact that they are lying about it.

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 11/9/2010 10:10:05 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:54:52 PM   
JohnDillworth

This is getting strange. The Pentagon says they know nothing about this. It doesn't sound like they are trying to hide something, they seem not to know anything about this. Is it safe to assume this is beyond the ability of the private sector?
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/mystery-missile-contrail-baffles-us-army-20101110-17mbm.html

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 16
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 4:59:33 PM   
RUDOLF

quote:

This is getting strange. The Pentagon says they know nothing about this. It doesn't sound like they are trying to hide something, they seem not to know anything about this. Is it safe to assume this is beyond the ability of the private sector?
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/mystery-missile-contrail-baffles-us-army-20101110-17mbm.html

The Pentagon? You mean the same Pentagon who claimed in 2009 that the US are not Still torturing people in 194 different secrat prisions arround the world?

HaHa, I don't think there is as much as a tiny chanse that this is anything but a US plot.
Maybe it is secret R&D going on - US can not admit it as it might be a treaty valuation.
Or since this was near the approach path to KLAX maybe it was a failed assassination attempt.

It is impossible to say, they will never tell you - you will never know.

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 11/9/2010 5:20:54 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 5:07:36 PM   
USS America

Can you say, "Emmy" for the TV news helicopter that filmed this?  

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be, and who actually launched it. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 18
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 5:22:55 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Can you say, "Emmy" for the TV news helicopter that filmed this?  

It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be, and who actually launched it. 

Anybody want to start the conspiracy theory thread?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to USS America)
Post #: 19
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 5:23:02 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

The Pentagon? You mean the same Pentagon who claimed in 2009 that the US are not Still torturing people in 194 different secrat prisions arround the world?

HaHa, I don't think there is as much as a tiny chanse that this is anything but a US plot.
Maybe it is secret R&D going on - US can not admit it as it might be a treaty valuation.
Or since this was near the approach path to KLAX maybe it was a failed assassination attempt.

It is impossible to say, they will never tell you - you will never know.

IF that comment doesn't violate the Matrix NO POLITICS rule, nothing does.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 20
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 5:30:24 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Have to agree. Let's keep politics out of this.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 21
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 5:59:52 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Obviously this is a missile launched by the US itself, there is no other nations interested in launching Inter continental ballistic missiles next to the US coast.

This is communication from the US, one of their many various ways of communicating their threats or comments to the world, or in this case to a part of it - specifically to Asia. The US did this all the time during the Cold war as well. If the US want to threaten Iran they can move some Carriers to the gulf, but that wont work on China because China has developed the Carrier killer DF-21D.

It can be compared with what Russia is doing now almost every day, the flying of Long range Nuclear Armed bombers up and down the US East coast, launched from their air bases in Venezuela.

There are many different things ongoing in Asia right now the US is upset about, and I assume you are intelligent enough to realize that this missile is launched by the US itself, despite the fact that they are lying about it.

I know what this post makes me do, and it isn't cry.

The Moose

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 22
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:05:24 PM   
RUDOLF

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It does not, it's simply pointing to incidents in military history and shows a specific military institution as unreliable.
It is used as a method in synto-theoretical circular argumentation showing that due to the (very many in fact) incidents this institution must be considered unreliable and for this reason should under no circumstances be trusted. So, when they say "we know nothing about this, its not us.. " then there is no reason to assume that they are telling the truth.

If you then move this a little forward and look upon the military and political history of this nation as a whole, then you will see that it has a culture of misleading its population over and over again, and that then by itself strengthens the ultimate conclusion that the words of this institution should not be taken the slightest seriously.

If I translate it is standard synto-theoretical circular argumentation, that points to or takes no political stand what-so-ever, instead it try's to analyze the situation and produce a reasonable conclusion.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:05:43 PM   
castor troy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

It can be compared with what Russia is doing now almost every day, the flying of Long range Nuclear Armed bombers up and down the US East coast, launched from their air bases in Venezuela.

the missile you mention is something like 20 or 30 years old, IIRC it was the first ballistic missile produced in China, guess that´s the reason I remember it. Why you call it carrier killer is beyond me.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 24
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:07:57 PM   
RUDOLF

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

the missile you mention is something like 20 or 30 years old, IIRC it was the first ballistic missile produced in China, guess that´s the reason I remember it. Why you call it carrier killer is beyond me.

Well Castor troy, the US Navy officials and neutral experts calls it for that!
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/03/china-testing-ballistic-missile-carrier-killer/
http://www.metrolic.com/df-21d-the-carrier-killing-missile-110455/
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world-news/chinese-df-21d-missile-sends-strong-signals-to-us-navy_100408198.html

< Message edited by RUDOLF -- 11/9/2010 6:09:23 PM >

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 25
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:09:19 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It does not, it's simply pointing to incidents in military history and shows a specific military institution as unreliable.
It is used as a method in synto-theoretical circular argumentation showing that due to the (very many in fact) incidents this institution must be considered unreliable and for this reason should under no circumstances be trusted. So, when they say "we know nothing about this, its not us.. " then there is no reason to assume that they are telling the truth.

If you then move this a little forward and look upon the military and political history of this nation as a whole, then you will see that it has a culture of misleading its population over and over again, and that then by itself strengthens the ultimate conclusion that the words of this institution should not be taken the slightest seriously.

If I translate it is standard synto-theoretical circular argumentation, that points to or takes no political stand what-so-ever, instead it try's to analyze the situation and produce a reasonable conclusion.

Rudolf, read this very,very carefully: when a man suggests that his fellow citizens get out and vote, with no suggestion toward any political view point or part, and THAT statement causes the thread to be locked, where does yours stand? BTW I also take very grave exception to your sig/banner.

The Moderators have been notified.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 26
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:12:46 PM   
Canoerebel

Rudolf, your link is to a website that contains a story that is poorly written (containing very bad grammar and almost infantile sentence structure). That makes me question the credentials of both the author and the website. Thus, I seriously doubt the article's accuracy, including the alleged statement by a member of the U.S. military that this old missile is a "carrier killer."

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 27
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:12:52 PM   
Terminus

This thread should never have been started in the first place...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 28
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:13:57 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Uh, no, work on your critical reading skills. Nothing in that article is by the US Navy, except one unattributed quote from an admiral which is then spliced onto a sentence which he didn't say.

Kill a carrier at 900 miles? Suuuure. Show me the reral-time targeting system the Chinese have for that please. Know how far a carrier can move in the flight time of a 900 mile transit?

The USN could defeat the combined navies of the rest of the world in under 30 days. Simple fact. Gonna be a fact for at least the next twenty years.

The Moose

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 29
RE: OK, who the heck Launched that? - 11/9/2010 6:16:51 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

This thread should never have been started in the first place...

There's nothing wrong with the thread, it's the people who CAN'T play by the rules!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> OK, who the heck Launched that? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI