Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watching...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Armada 2526 Series >> Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watching... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watching... - 11/6/2010 6:48:59 AM   
EdgarPatrick

Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watching or playing; so far how do you like it on a scale of 1 to 10?

(Please feel free to comment and to update your rating as often as you like in the future.)
----------

I'm watching for new information and eagerly awaiting the game.

< Message edited by EdgarPatrick -- 11/9/2010 9:26:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/6/2010 3:57:32 PM   
willgamer

I've been playing about 2 weeks. So far I'd give it a 7.

Pros:

*Very playable right "out of the box"

*Interesting races

*Uses max resolution automatically (as far as I know); Zooms with mouse wheel

*Good graphics (esp. for indy dev); OK sound

*Similar to MOO 2

*Better diplomacy than most

*Victory, by points at a fixed time, is unique (Domination only players will not like this)

*Large universes manageable (AI governors available to aid player)

Cons:

*Gameplay can become a little scripted/bland after a while

*The implementation of the bureaucracy to limit expansion was not popular with many players

*Limited actions/options for player in the RT battles

My wishes for the expansion:

*Fixes for cons

*Ship design

*Leaders

*Planets with more randomness

*Events

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to EdgarPatrick)
Post #: 2
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/7/2010 2:06:47 AM   
Speedy2511

It's not topic, but i have a question.
How is the AI in this game?

I play Distant Worlds, and i find the AI to easy. I have only 8 Colonies, and i earn much more money then the AI Empires. My ships are stronger and i have the bigest fleet, and the smallest AI empire has 20 Colonies. So it's not a lot of fun to play.

I think Sword of the stars has one of the best AI's, and GalCiv 2.

So, what's about Armada?

Greetings from Germany.
Nico

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 3
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/8/2010 1:49:50 AM   
ezzler

Unplayed on hard drive. Hated it.

(in reply to Speedy2511)
Post #: 4
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/8/2010 8:42:29 AM   
Anguille

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Unplayed on hard drive. Hated it.

That was not really the question he was asking. btw...did you play with the last patch?

The AI works pretty well, imho. Battles can be really tougth. The good thing about the game is that you can configure a lot of parameters. Difficulty depends also a lot from the race you choose as every race has different ways to obtain victory points. I had most success with the Jellution (focus on research) and it seems to me that the AI likes that race too. But other races are much more difficult, especially when you have to conquer other races as these will wage war with competence.

Cheers

< Message edited by Anguille -- 11/8/2010 8:44:14 AM >

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 5
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/8/2010 9:31:18 AM   
martok

EdgarPatrick, I've got a fairly lengthy thread over at the Wargamer that details most of my thoughts on the game. I strongly urge you to check it out if you've not already done so.

If you're looking for the short version, though, then I'd say willgamer's summation is fairly accurate. The only thing I'd mention is this passage:
quote:

ORIGINAL: willgamer

*The implementation of the bureaucracy to limit expansion was not popular with many players

There is an option to lower and/or disable bureaucracy, so this isn't that much of an issue. I personally usually keep bureaucracy at its normal level (because otherwise it nullifies the advantage of races with the "No Bureaucracy" trait), but you can always turn it off if you want.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy2511

It's not topic, but i have a question.
How is the AI in this game?

It's good. Personally, I'd say it's somewhere in between GalCiv2 and Sword of the Stars. It's certainly one of the better AI's I've seen in a strategy game, at least in the last few years.

< Message edited by martok -- 11/8/2010 9:34:29 AM >

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 6
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/8/2010 1:57:49 PM   
mbar

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok
It's good. Personally, I'd say it's somewhere in between GalCiv2 and Sword of the Stars. It's certainly one of the better AI's I've seen in a strategy game, at least in the last few years.

I'd agree with this. Armada plays fast and well. The AI is good. Domination and attack are not your only options. Plus you can try to attack and if it doesn't work out you can contact that race and get a ceasefire. The tech tree is straight forward like the RTS Sins of a Solar Empire. You don't have to wonder what you are going to get when you research something.

Right now my Sci-Fi TBS ranking would be
1- Sword of the Stars
2- Armada 2526
3- Gal Civ 1
4- Gal Civ 2

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 7
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/8/2010 9:27:08 PM   
Speedy2511

Ok, thank you guys for your opinion!

I think, i give it a try in the next days. What i like most in the moment is, that i can build carriers with fighters. I lover carrier wars in space, like Wing Commander or Battlestar Galactica (one of my favourit series).

Greetings from Germany
Nico

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 8
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/8/2010 9:41:15 PM   
ASHBERY76

It is a pity carrier warfare in all 4X games is ****.Fighters are just suicide darts in Armada just like the other 4x games.

(in reply to Speedy2511)
Post #: 9
RE: Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watc... - 11/9/2010 7:00:19 AM   
Anguille

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

It is a pity carrier warfare in all 4X games is ****.Fighters are just suicide darts in Armada just like the other 4x games.

How would you do it?

Fighters in Armada come back to their ship after a while, don't they?

I have to say i would love to be able to do something like Midway in a game like that (almost possible in Conquest: frontier Wars and Far Gate, both RTS)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Armada 2526 Series >> Armada 2526 rating. Express yourself. Reading, watching... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI