Matrix Games Forums

The fight for Armageddon begins! The Matrix Holiday sales are starting today! Warhammer - Weapons of WarFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What a deal!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What a deal! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What a deal! - 11/5/2010 3:18:57 PM   
bjmorgan

Well, a few weeks ago, I mentined that Pacific was available for preorder for $50 at Amazon. It was shipped Monday and they cut $8 offf the price. I fugure that $42 isn't bad.

Now, since I haven't seen it, I hope it doesn't suck like that other movie did.

Oh, and my wife bought the VHS of that "other" movie for my birthday the first year it was available. She noticed that it hadn't been opened the following year so she bought me the DVD thinking I'd wanted to watch that instead. It's still wrapped, too. (But, I hid it so she won't notice and buy the BlueRay version.)
Post #: 1
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 3:54:33 PM   
SuluSea

Heck, just got mine in the mail yesterday, I watched the original on HBO, taped the Pacific on demand to DVD and bought the series as well, so i guess you could say I liked it. It's nothing like the Ben Afficted movie.

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 2
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 7:04:06 PM   
Cannonfodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Oh, and my wife bought the VHS of that "other" movie for my birthday the first year it was available. She noticed that it hadn't been opened the following year so she bought me the DVD thinking I'd wanted to watch that instead. It's still wrapped, too. (But, I hid it so she won't notice and buy the BlueRay version.)

I love that movie!!!!!!!!

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 3
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 7:28:45 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

quote:

I love that movie!!!!!!!!

Saying that in here probably just assured that your screen name is entirely appropriate...basically every one in here hates the movie that shall not be named.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Cannonfodder)
Post #: 4
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 7:40:27 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Saying that in here probably just assured that your screen name is entirely appropriate...basically every one in here hates the movie that shall not be named.

I don't mind it. It is what it is. It has a few redeeming features.

The Moose

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 8:00:10 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Hmmn, those redeeming features wouldn't have anything to do with KB...and I'm not neccesarily referring to Kido Butai?

Alfred

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 6
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 8:00:29 PM   
Wikingus

I loved The Pacific. It got a lot of flak since it wasn't quite as good as Band of Brothers, but I really liked it. I have to get the DVDs as well.

Post #: 7
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 8:11:30 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Hmmn, those redeeming features wouldn't have anything to do with KB...and I'm not neccesarily referring to Kido Butai?

Alfred

Nah. too high-maintenance for my tastes.

I was referring to Dorie Miller. And to educate the younger generation about things like men trapped in the Oklahoma, and the Doolittle Raid at all.

The Moose

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 8
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 8:14:32 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wikingus

I loved The Pacific. It got a lot of flak since it wasn't quite as good as Band of Brothers, but I really liked it. I have to get the DVDs as well.

I'm currently leading GF through the second half of "Battlestar Galactica." ("Yes, for sure, the president is one of the Final Five cylons. No question. You've figured it out. Now watch the darn episode.")

After that comes a still-shrink-wrapped "Band of Brothers" which I saw on HBO and she's never seen. After that, maybe "The Pacific" which I have not seen at all.

I must be careful with a GF such as this. They are rare. Maybe get married or something . . .

The Moose

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 9
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 9:21:24 PM   
Lifer

When my daughter was in college, we were send DVD recordings of her favorite shows and I started slipping in Battlestar Galactica.  She and her friends got in to it.  One day they sent a photo back of them watching an episode and they all had tinfoil hats on.

Greg

Post #: 10
RE: What a deal! - 11/5/2010 9:42:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lifer

When my daughter was in college, we were send DVD recordings of her favorite shows and I started slipping in Battlestar Galactica.  She and her friends got in to it.  One day they sent a photo back of them watching an episode and they all had tinfoil hats on.

Greg

Any of her friends look like Caprica 6?

The Moose

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 11
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 5:32:42 AM   
bretg80

The Pacific is worth watching but unfortunately not as great as it could have been. I liked band of brothers much better. As for Pearl Harbor, well if you like a love story and the scenery, it is a pretty decent rendition of what it might have been like that day. It's hollywood and you just have to take the details for granted and they always have to throw in unbelievable stuff, but I still enjoy watching it on occasion.

I didn't watch galactica in the beginning, but it caught up with me and I became a follower. Unfortunately, the ending kinda sucked. The latest I've gotten hooked on is the Event. It's too early to tell whether it's going to be any good, but so fart it's kept my attention. I also have gotten caught up in the Walking Dead on AMC. I'm not much of a zombie guy, but this show is kind of interesting.

I wish they'd make a mini series of some of the Naval battles in the Pacific. That would be very interesting if they did a good job on it.

Post #: 12
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 4:50:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretg80

I didn't watch galactica in the beginning, but it caught up with me and I became a follower. Unfortunately, the ending kinda sucked.

I'm not religious in any way, shape, or form, and I thought the ending was great. I didn't see it coming. Now, watching again knowing the ending, I see hundreds of clues and pointers that were there but missed the first time. I really think it's the best sci-fi series ever made. Truly fiction for adults, not teen boys.

The Moose

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 13
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 4:58:27 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

What...like the DVDs making good drink coasters?

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 14
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 5:01:59 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

What...like the DVDs making good drink coasters?

I was referring to Dorie Miller. And to educate the younger generation about things like men trapped in the Oklahoma, and the Doolittle Raid at all.

The Moose

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 15
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 5:03:24 PM   
Shark7

quote:

The Pacific is worth watching but unfortunately not as great as it could have been. I liked band of brothers much better. As for Pearl Harbor, well if you like a love story and the scenery, it is a pretty decent rendition of what it might have been like that day. It's hollywood and you just have to take the details for granted and they always have to throw in unbelievable stuff, but I still enjoy watching it on occasion.

I didn't watch galactica in the beginning, but it caught up with me and I became a follower. Unfortunately, the ending kinda sucked. The latest I've gotten hooked on is the Event. It's too early to tell whether it's going to be any good, but so fart it's kept my attention. I also have gotten caught up in the Walking Dead on AMC. I'm not much of a zombie guy, but this show is kind of interesting.

I wish they'd make a mini series of some of the Naval battles in the Pacific. That would be very interesting if they did a good job on it.

I made the mistake of watching it. I can't get past the fact that its supposed to be WWII, but I can see O.H. Perry FFGs, Spruance DDs, and possibly an Arliegh Burke DDG or Ticonderoga CG or two at anchor. Completely kills it for me since I know exactly what I am looking at...modern warships.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 16
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 5:26:23 PM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Alfred

The KB you are referring to , the one having nothing to do with ships, is indeed a wonder.

The movie on the other hand should be banned, all copies destroyed, and all memories of those who have watched it erased.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 17
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 5:30:20 PM   
stuman

quote:

I must be careful with a GF such as this. They are rare. Maybe get married or something . . .

Whoa, yes, you must be careful indeed

Post #: 18
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 5:31:23 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

Whoa, yes, you must be careful indeed

I've had previous practice.

The Moose

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 19
RE: What a deal! - 11/6/2010 6:48:54 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

From what they're saying a new Midway movie is in the works. Hopefully if it comes to pass it's a huge success and will lead to more movies like this in the future, considering what artists can do with 3D it should be great if you're a fan of the Pacific.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/warner-bros-plots-3d-battle-of-midway-pic-with-the-pacifics-bruce-c-mckenna/

(in reply to bretg80)
Post #: 20
RE: What a deal! - 11/7/2010 12:35:38 AM   
Ranger5355

With the level that computer graphics has reached I'm looking forward to the day someone in Hollywood decides to make a movie with the ships and planes rendered accurately. I just hope it happens before I go senile.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 21
RE: What a deal! - 11/7/2010 2:58:48 AM   
John Lansford

You cannot compare Pacific to BoB; like the two theaters of war, the two miniseries are different.  Both, IMO, did an excellent job of portraying how combat was in their respective theaters.  The airborne divisions in Europe were involved in at least low intensity combat almost the whole time between D-Day and when Germany surrendered.  The 1st Marine Division, OTOH, fought brutal specific battles in the Pacific and then spent months rebuilding and preparing for the next fight.  I saw nothing wrong with the way the Pacific portrayed the inhumanity of the fighting the 1st Marine Division endured, or the hardships they had when they weren't in combat.  The last episode, with Leckie trying and failing to rejoin his civilian life, tied the whole series up very neatly.

The two series are excellent in their own ways, but please, don't try and compare one with the other.  You might as well compare a sub with a cruiser and declare one is "better" than the other.

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 22
RE: What a deal! - 11/7/2010 5:32:08 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

You cannot compare Pacific to BoB; like the two theaters of war, the two miniseries are different.  Both, IMO, did an excellent job of portraying how combat was in their respective theaters.  The airborne divisions in Europe were involved in at least low intensity combat almost the whole time between D-Day and when Germany surrendered.  The 1st Marine Division, OTOH, fought brutal specific battles in the Pacific and then spent months rebuilding and preparing for the next fight.  I saw nothing wrong with the way the Pacific portrayed the inhumanity of the fighting the 1st Marine Division endured, or the hardships they had when they weren't in combat.  The last episode, with Leckie trying and failing to rejoin his civilian life, tied the whole series up very neatly.

The two series are excellent in their own ways, but please, don't try and compare one with the other.  You might as well compare a sub with a cruiser and declare one is "better" than the other.

I tend to agree.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 23
RE: What a deal! - 11/9/2010 10:10:06 AM   
Reg

quote:

Well, a few weeks ago, I mentined that Pacific was available for preorder for $50 at Amazon. It was shipped Monday and they cut $8 offf the price. I fugure that $42 isn't bad.

The Pacific has been released in Australia and it can be picked up at significant discount ($80rrp -> $54) here as well. I think they just didn't get the pre-orders they were expecting especially since they are also including episode one in free with the Band of Brothers box sets.

Still I'm not complaining as I picked up two box sets of The Pacific, one for myself and the second for a Christmas present for the in-laws who enjoyed it on the TV. My wife is watching the last episode* as I type this and she was quite pleased with it though she admits she will have to watch it a few more times to pick up all the subtleties. (BoB was the same, we've watched it a dozen times and even now we are picking up things we never noticed before).

To my shame I must confess I have a VHS copy of that other abomination as well - but it's not my fault . My wife bought it as a present for her mother but she already had one (or so she says). Only goes to prove you can't give it away....

(* I've got her hooked on war movies and historical documentaries though AE and gaming is still too much of a leap)

< Message edited by Reg -- 11/9/2010 10:14:52 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has introduced a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to bjmorgan)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> What a deal! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI